IndiaDivine.org

Re:Reply to Mr. Brad

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Mr. Brad:

It is really heartening to know that you are approaching "Hinduism" with such an inquisitive and critical mind (with, of course, due respect and sincerity). I fully agree with you when you say "from afar it appears to be a confusing mish-mash of concepts, rituals, deities, etc." It is bound to happen to any new-comer (it happened to me also, to be honest).

You have suggested about "packaging" of Hinduism (in good sense, of course). I can only submit that it has already been packaged by a galaxy of masterminds. Now, it is for you to open the package and re-discover the treasures for yourself, if you will. Please allow me to draw your attention to the nine-volume Complete Works of Swami Vivekanada. Please take your own time to read all the volumes and you will get a totally new insight where all these apparent confusions and contradictions will simply vanish into thin air. This I can guarantee from my personal experience. Then comes the six-volume magnum opus of Sister Gargi (Mary Louise Burke)--Swami Vivekananda in the West. And finally, you have the treasures form Most Rev. Swami Ranganathanandaji Maharaj. Please acquire copies of his classics like "Eternal Values for a Changing Society" (in 4-volumes), "Message of the Upanishads" (in this book, please look at the Appendix where Rev. Swamiji has replied to many such honest but critical queries raised by the famous Scientist Sir Julian Huxley), "Universal Message of the Bhagavad Gita" (3-volume) and many many more. You also have cassettes, videos, CDs to aid your learning process.

My dear Mr. Brad, you need not believe my at this point of time. Please try it for yourself like a true scientist with an absolutely open mind. Please discover the power of Vedanta Philosophy (which is commonly, and sometimes wrongly, denoted as Hinduism). If you denote it as Hinduism, then what about the non-Hindus? Do they have no place of honor in your so-called "Hinduism"? What about its so many apparent confusions? So, as you have rightly pointed out, it should be denoted as "Sanatana Dharma" or Eternal (and Universal too) Religion. Let us, therefore, use the term "Vedanta Philosophy." Then you may have any number of interpretation and commentaries based on your viewpoints and needs. We all will give you a patient hearing.

Your last suggestion is "I guess what I envision is a "Vatican-like" assembly of Hindu leaders attempting to put a single or collaborative face on this great spiritual system. Catholicism "re-invents" itself every so often, why not Sanatana-Dharma? "

Well, I am too small to comment on this. Let the "Hindu Leaders" react on this. But with my limited understanding of Vedanta, I pray to God that some such thing should never ever happen. In my understanding, the real strength of Vedanta or Sanatana Dharma lies in the fact that we have carefully avoided a "Vatican-like" assembly for so many years. Our watchword is "Ekam sat vipra bahudha vadanti" (i.e. Reality is one, sages call it by various names). We cannot afford or accept a single-window approach in our religious practice. I must have enough room to breath, question, accept, reject, re-accept my own life-philosophy without any fear or hesitation during my eternal quest for truth. No authority, however powerful, should ever dare to dictate or thrust any official "package" on me against my will. Freedom, freedom and freedom, my inner soul cries for freedom. If my religion cannot assure me freedom, well, I have very little to do with it. I think, this applies to you and all.

I have highest possible regards for Vatican and its followers (please don't misunderstand me) . But is it a panacea for the problems you have raised? What does the history teach us about Crusades. Are you advocating such type of blood-shed (or at least, it possibility) again in our time in the name of religion and its denominations? I am sure, you are not. No sensible man can do that.

Let me ask you a simple question. Does anybody need any such congregation to propagate the ideas of Science? Everybody is eager to know about the latest ideas of Einstein, Penrose, Hawkins and other masterminds? If science does not need a "Vatican-like assembly", why should Vedanta (which is, as I have mentioned in my previous mail, Science of Human Being in Depth) need one? It is your own choice to accept or reject Vedanta. It is your prerogative to interpret Vedanta as per your need and capability. It is your precious privilege to proclaim your own interpretation without any frowning authority standing beside you to gag you.

Please come out of your old ideas and look at Vedanta with a correct scientific, logical and, if necessary, critical approach. You will have enough food for your thought.

Please pardon me if you feel I have crossed my limits. Please consider this as a friendly discussion only.

Wish you all the best.

TP Bagchi

-

Brad Stephan

The Ramakrishna List

Thursday, October 17, 2002 9:30 PM

[sri Ramakrishna] Re: Pluralism

Dear jay:

Your comments on pluralism were excellent. Hinduism offers such hope in this era of "globalization." However, I would add that the main reason for the very existence of pluralism: God so loves His children, He wants them all to have an equal opportunity to know, experience and return to Him.

God Bless,

Brad

PS - thinking out loud, here -- If Hinduism truly offers such hope in these trying times, how will it ever gain greater recognition and acceptance when it presents itself in so many different forms? I understand that variety has been one of its key strengths and why it has persevered for so long, but from afar it appears to be a confusing mish-mash of concepts, rituals, deities, etc. can/should Hinduism be "re-packaged" for our modern age, so that it may receive greater international and cross-cultural acceptance? I guess what I envision is a "Vatican-like" assembly of Hindu leaders attempting to put a single or collaborative face on this great spiritual system. Catholicism "re-invents" itself every so often, why not Sanatana-Dharma? Your thoughts, List?Sri Ramakrishnaye NamahVivekananda Centre Londonhttp://www.vivekananda.co.uk