IndiaDivine.org

War

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Jai-Raam:

I certainly agree with your assessment of Saddam, but as an American (a Christian-Vedantist, first and foremost), I am concerned about the motivations and follow-through of my President Bush. A year ago, Iraq, Iran and North Korea were branded as an "Axis of Evil." Ok, I don't disagree -- but, what's the point? And, now, when North Korea is demonstrating to be much more of a threat than Iraq . . . where's the plan -- the strategy -- of even the rhetoric? With Iraq, Bush first emphasized, "regime change," before he was forced into the policy of "disarmament." He then emphasized America's "duty" to go to war to remove Saddam, even without UN involvement, before he was forced into the policy of working with the UN.

I'm just concerned that the issues of avenging the "honor" of his father and securing his "sacred" oil are his main motivations, which blinds him to other, non-war strategies that may contain or topple Saddam.

Also, once Saddam is gone, what will his commitment be to the people of Iraq? If it's anything like his current commitment to the people of Afghanistan, then it will be woefully insufficient.

However, I have to hand it to Bush, his single-mindedness and an apparent degree of patience has moved his cause forward with the world community (ask yourself, Jai-Raam, were you worrying about Saddam 12 months ago?). Bush is either a brilliant strategist -- or it's dumb luck.

The other day I was lighting my outdoor grill and a plume of propane-driven fire "exploded" near my face - I can still see the fiery ball coming toward me, before I closed my eyes. I was not injured, just shaken. Then I thought -- that very plume of fiery violence will be unleashed on the jivas of Iraq, both military and civilian. My karma notwithstanding, how could I wish that on anyone?

Yes, Saddam is an evil person and the world would be better off if he would just go off and reincarnate into a helpless babe. But, have we (i.e., America) done everything in our considerable power and persuasion to contain or dethrone Saddam -- instead of rushing to war?

Jai-Raam, thank you for sharing your good thoughts on this important issue -- and for allowing me to share mine.

Jai Ramakrishna,

Brad