IndiaDivine.org

Hinduism in the UK

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear list

I like to share my experiences of portraying Hinduism in the UK. The experience today was

unusual and can best be described as 'Close encounter of the third (unwanted) kind'.

When I give talks at Universities, I have observed a very tiny minority of Muslim students

in the audience. They normally ask very sincere questions and are satisfied when

offered straight forward explanations. This afternoon I was conducting a talk on the

Hindu theory of Reincarnation at Kingston University. In the middle of the talk, about

twenty Muslim youngsters walked into the auditorium. The atmosphere immediately

became charged up; all the Hindu youngsters in the audience became nervous - expecting

a confrontation. Nobody wanted to raise a smile even if I made some light hearted

comments! A very sad sight! It was clear that the Hindu youngsters were feeling

very intimidated. At the end of the talk the only questions that came, were from

the Muslim contingency. The Hindu guys were too nervous to ask any questions,

- in case Hinduism shows up poorly!

The purpose of the series of questions that were fired at me was not to learn

about the subject matter. The questions can best be described as an attempt to

overwhelm the speaker by bombarding him with many multiple layered questions

encased in high sounding phrases.

I operate under the shadow of the spiritual genius called Vivekananda who thrived

on such encounters and enjoyed quick fire repartee. So, taking a lesson from my

master I responded. In my reply, I deliberately used very esoteric language,

drawing from many cross disciplines like Cosmology, Psychology, Quantum

mechanics & Theory of Evolution. After responding, I pointedly asked ... Now, have I

not answered all your questions well? They did not respond... as they had no

idea what had hit them : )

Finally, at the end of the session one of the guys came over to me to complain that

Hindus should not eat plants. -- Reduced to scrapping the bottom to find a flaw in Hinduism!

In my response I was very careful not to de-mean Islam. That would be

playing to the lowest common denominator.

jay

Guest guest

Namaste Jay,

I believe everyone has experienced rude encounters to some degree, the Muslim youth have probably had their share. This karma as it relates to reincarnation is an interesting study for me personally and the group karma (Hindu and Muslim) is certainly being worked out in this process. My Guru has always encouraged us to Stand Strong for Hinduism and their is no doubt in my mind that the Hindu  youngsters understand that strength and should feel less intimidated in the future.

OM Shanti

Kanda

Guest guest

Dear Jay,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I too find that people often ask questions less for real knowledge, but instead with the intention to demean or belittle. I agree that by not operating at the lowest common denominator, we set our religion at a better example.

Thanks.

anita

Vivekananda Centre [vivekananda] 26 March 2003 23:25list[sri Ramakrishna] Hinduism in the UK

Dear list

I like to share my experiences of portraying Hinduism in the UK. The experience today was

unusual and can best be described as 'Close encounter of the third (unwanted) kind'.

When I give talks at Universities, I have observed a very tiny minority of Muslim students

in the audience. They normally ask very sincere questions and are satisfied when

offered straight forward explanations. This afternoon I was conducting a talk on the

Hindu theory of Reincarnation at Kingston University. In the middle of the talk, about

became charged up; all the Hindu youngsters in the audience became nervous - expecting

a confrontation. Nobody wanted to raise a smile even if I made some light hearted

very intimidated. At the end of the talk the only questions that came, were from

I operate under the shadow of the spiritual genius called Vivekananda who thrived

mechanics & Theory of Evolution. After responding, I pointedly asked ... Now, have I

Finally, at the end of the session one of the guys came over to me to complain that

Hindus should not eat plants. -- Reduced to scrapping the bottom to find a flaw in Hinduism!

jay

Sri Ramakrishnaye NamahVivekananda Centre Londonhttp://www.vivekananda.co.uk

Guest guest

Reminds me of the case when Swami Vivekananda was forced to stand on a Barrel

and speak by some Gun totting fanatical Christians in Texas.

Despite eggs and tomatoes being thrown at him, thorugh sheer courage, managed to perplex, pacify and amazing the crowd, with divine words.

Vijay

Dear list

jay