IndiaDivine.org

Vivekananda on the Vedas (part 156)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Parts 1 to 155 were posted earlier. This is part 156. Your comments are welcome... Vivekananda Centre London

Earlier postings can be seen at http://www.vivekananda.btinternet.co.uk/veda.htm

SWAMI VIVEKANANDA ON THE VEDAS AND UPANISHADS

By Sister Gayatriprana

part 156

The Tantras Are Poisoning the Minds of the People of Bengal

There are in my motherland, most unfortunately, persons who will take up one of the Tantras and say that the practice of this Tantra is to be obeyed; he or she who does not do so is no more orthodox in his or her views.(4)

When I see how much the Vamachara [Tantra] has entered our [bengali] society, I find it a most disgraceful place, with all of its boast of culture. These Vamachara sects are honeycombing our society in Bengal. Those who come out in the daytime and preach most loudly about achara, it is they who carry on the horrible debauchery at night and are backed by the most dreadful books. They are ordered by the books to do these things. You who are of Bengal know of it. The Bengal Shastras are the Vamachara Tantras. They are published by the cart-load, and you poison the minds of your children with them instead of teaching them our Shrutis. Fathers of Calcutta, do you not feel ashamed that such horrible stuff as these Vamachara Tantras, with translations too, should be put into the hands of your boys and girls, and their minds poisoned, and that they should be brought up with the idea that these are the Shastras of the Hindus? If you are ashamed, take them away from your children and let them read the true Shastras - the Vedas, the Gita and the Upanishads.(5)