IndiaDivine.org

Vivekananda on the Vedas (part 162)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Parts 1 to 161 were posted earlier. This is part 162. Your comments are welcome... Vivekananda Centre London

Earlier postings can be seen at http://www.vivekananda.btinternet.co.uk/veda.htm

SWAMI VIVEKANANDA ON THE VEDAS AND UPANISHADS

By Sister Gayatriprana

part 162

Minor social usages will also be recognized and accepted when they are compatible with the spirit of the true scriptures and the conduct and example of the holy sages. But blind allegiance only to usages such as are repugnant to the spirit of the Shastras and the conduct of holy sages has been one of the main causes of the downfall of the Aryan race.(22)

There is the towering temple of the eternal Hindu religion, and how many ways of approaching it! And what can you not find there? From the absolute Brahman of the Vedantin down to Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Shakti, Uncle Sun, the rat-riding Ganesha, and the minor deities such as Shashthi and Makal, and so forth. Which is lacking there? And in the Vedas, in the Vedanta and the philosophies, in the Puranas and the Tantras, there are lots of materials, a single sentence of which is enough to break one’s chain of transmigration for ever. And, Oh! The crowd! Millions and millions of people are rushing towards the temple. I, too, had a curiosity to see and join in the rush. But what was this that met my eyes when I reached the spot! Nobody was going inside the temple! By the side of the door there was standing a figure with fifty heads, a hundred arms, two hundred bellies, and five hundred legs; and everyone was rolling at the feet of it. I asked someone the reason and got the reply; "Those deities that you see in the interior, it is worship enough for them to make a short prostration, or throw in a few flowers from a distance. But the real worship must be offered to him who is at the gate; and those Vedas, the Vedanta, the philosophies, the Puranas, and other scriptures that you see - there is no harm if you hear them read now and again; but you must obey the mandate of this one." Then I asked again, "Well, what is the name of this God of gods?He is named Popular Custom - came the reply.(23)