IndiaDivine.org

Vivekananda on the Vedas (part 166)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Parts 1 to 165 were posted earlier. This is part 166. Your comments are welcome... Vivekananda Centre London

Earlier postings can be seen at http://www.vivekananda.btinternet.co.uk/veda.htm

SWAMI VIVEKANANDA ON THE VEDAS AND UPANISHADS

By Sister Gayatriprana

part 166

2. Lack of Sympathy Has Hidden the Vedantic Conception of the Dignity of Humanity

Oh, how my heart aches to think of what we think of the poor, the low, in India. They have no chance, no escape, no way to climb up. The poor, the low, the sinner, in India have no friends, no help - they cannot rise, no matter how hard they try. Nay, they sink lower and lower every day, they feel the blows showered upon them by cruel society, and they do not know whence the blow comes. They have forgotten that they, too, are human beings. And the result is slavery. Thoughtful people within the last few years have seen it, but unfortunately laid it at the door of the Hindu religion; and to them the only way of bettering is by crushing this grandest religion of the world. Hear me, my friend; I have discovered the secret, through the grace of the Lord. Religion is not at fault. On the contrary, your religion teaches you that every being is only your own self multiplied. But it was the want of practical application, the want of sympathy, the want of heart…

No religion on earth preaches the dignity of humanity in such a lofty strain as does Hinduism, and no religion on earth treads upon the necks of the poor and the low in such a fashion as Hinduism. The Lord has shown me that religion is not at fault, but it is the Pharisees and Sadducees in Hinduism, hypocrites who invent all sorts of engines of tyranny in the shape of doctrines of paramarthika and vyavaharika. [supreme truth versus "common life"](38)

I claim that no destruction of religion is necessary to improve Hindu society, and that this state of society exists, not on account of religion, but because religion has not been applied to society as it should have been. This I am ready to prove from our old books, every word of it.(39)

The Shastras start by giving the right to study the Vedas to everybody, without distinction of sex, caste or creed.(40)

Ay, but it was only for the sannyasin - rahasya, (esoteric)! The Upanishads were in the hands of the sannyasin; he went into the forest! Shankara was a little kind and said that even grihasthas (householders) may study the Upanishads; it will do them good; it will not hurt them. But still the idea is that the Upanishads talked only of the forest life of the recluse… These conceptions of the Vedanta must come out, must remain, not only in the forest, not only in the cave, but also they must come out to work at the bar and the bench, in the pulpit, and in the cottage of the poor,, with the fishermen that are catching fish, and with the students that are studying. They call to every man, woman, and child, whatever be their occupation, wherever they may be.(41)