IndiaDivine.org

BBC Documentary on Sister Nivedita

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear List

As you are aware we were trying to help the BBC crew to visit Kolkata to produce a documentary on Sister Nivedita. We had asked if anyone from our list can help co-ordinate all the meetings in Kolkata. 'Abhijit' one of our list members volunteered to help. He has just sent us the following message. It is wonderful to see that an internet list can actually help with such practical work. At the moment the total number of members we have on various lists is about 1200. This gives us access to great many resources (including manpower). We thank Abhijit for all his work. We also thank various other

list members especially the Swamis of the Order, who guided and offered us very valuable advise.

jay........ Vivekananda Centre London

------------------------------message from Abhijit------------------------

Dear Jay,

First, I must thank you and Ramakrishna Group to present me the opportunity to accompany Mike Thomson, Senior Broadcast Journalist, BBC Radio to various places in relation to his proposed radio program on Sister Nivedita.

Our visits and interviews were not only through without any hiccup but also were very inspiring and enlightening. I shall feel selfish if I do not share some of the highlights of the visit with you and other members of the List.

Sri Sarada Math

No sooner we reached Sri Sharada Math we were received by Pravarajika Amalapranaji, General Secretary who gave an extensive interview. They were kind enough to offer us with Prasadam and water. The atmosphere at the Math was so serene and exciting that Mike even recorded the sounds of silence. We were later given the audience of President Mataji Shraddhapranaji and she asked us about our purpose and personally took up the matter of our visit to the school. Most of the feelings during the visit are inexpressible.

Sister Nivedita’s School

This is an institution built with bricks moulded with the name of Sister Nivedita on each of them. The door is from the original school as well as the desk, chair and other furniture used by her. Pravrajika Jnanadapranaji, the Secretary of the school gave the interview there. Interestingly, interviews of some of the students were so eloquent that I could not help being impressed by them. Some students also sang Saraswati Vandana and Nivedita Vandana for the radio. We were also offered sweets and were presented with mementoes of their centenary celebration.

Ramakrishna Mission at Gol Park

We met with Shri Shankari Prasad Basu and his interview lasted till late evening. Amongst other things he read out some of Sister’s fiery letters to Miss Mcloud and Radcliffe. He also took us out to show the newly built sculpture on Sister Nivedita at a nearby Corporation Park with four sides Sister Nivedita in her usual profile, Sister Nivedita carrying a sick child, Sister Nivedita receiving the blessings from Swamiji and Vajra (her symbol) all the facets of her personality like she was.

Mike has assured me that he has now enough material and he shall send a copy of the program once it is finalised and I am blessed with contentment.

With regards,

Abhijit.

Guest guest

Indeed it is heartening that one of the members has helped in

the 'off-net' activities. I guess this is the beauty of the net and

also His bidding, that has motivated Abhijit to help thus. Such

activities are gratifying along with the spiritual discussion. A

positive utilisation of the facilities the net offers. Much much

better than inane and mindless chats and debates.

I'm sure Thakurji will be smiling on all those who have helped in

this project.

Best,

GW

Ramakrishna , " Vivekananda Centre "

<vivekananda@b...> wrote:

> Dear List