IndiaDivine.org

Getting out of the way - De Mello

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jan Sultan

Getting out of the way - De MelloA woodcarver called Ching had just finished work on a bellframe. Everyone who saw it marveled, for it seemed to be thework of spirits. When the Duke of Lu saw it, he asked,"What sort of genius is yours that you could make such athing?"The woodcarver replied, "Sire, I am only a simple workman.I am no genius. But there is one thing. When I amgoing to make a bell frame, I meditate for three days to calmmy mind. When I have meditated for three days, I think nomore about rewards or emoluments. When I have meditatedfor five days, I no longer think of praise or blame, skillfulnessor awkwardness. When I have meditated for seven days, Isuddenly forget my limbs, my body; no, I forget my very self. Ilose consciousness of the court and my surroundings. Only myskill remains.In that state I walk into the forest and examine each treeuntil I find one in which I see the bell frame in all its perfection.Then my hands got to the task. Having set my self aside,nature meets nature in the work that is performed throughme. This, no doubt, is the reason why everyone says that thefinished product is the work of spirits."=================================================Said a world-famous violinist about his success in playing Beethoven'sViolin Concerto: "I have splendid music, a splendidviolin and a splendid bow. All I need to do is bring themtogether and get out of the way." Anthony de Mello, S.J.© 1988 by the Center for Spiritual Exchange