IndiaDivine.org

ITV

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I don't think pointing out short comings of any religion would be of any benefit. The Christian and Islam systems are in place of thousands of years and their members however much liberal would be hurt by such comments. If a person's religious notions are not questioned by others but by their own minds, would they try to reinterprit them and try to find a universal outlook. I sometimes think that the universality posed by vedantic outlook would need to be translated into moslem, christian and every other religion's own outlook- so that they can find harmony from their stand point - don't know whether it is possible or not!. Like I remember to read an article where the jehad was explained as the inner spiritual war rather than external. Such re-interpretatieons by liberal minded moslems, christians should be done by providing them vedantic philosophy for them to slowly and steadily

absorb the vedantic principles - ofcourse veadanta may not find its stamp but the principles would be sold. On the otherside even if we don't do that the bombs would do that anyway!

Regards,

SriramVivekananda Centre <vivekananda wrote:

Guest guest

Dear Jay,

Recently the BBC aired a debate where a Britisher came out with a very

unkind comment. He said that the first message he received about the

bombing was from an India friend who said, " Hey Man, the Paki's have

done it again! "

Now I would not believe him considering that the word " Paki " is meant

to mean Indians too. The Indians are as much wary of the word as any

other group.

I do pray that your interview is aired on the right note. They may

censor your comments on Christianity but will certainly air your views

on Islam. That is the problem.

Regards,

Jagannath.

Guest guest

Ramakrishna

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 1:41 AM

Re: [sri Ramakrishna] ITV

I don't think pointing out short comings of any religion would be of any benefit. The Christian and Islam systems are in place of thousands of years and their members however much liberal would be hurt by such comments. Sriram Popuri

<response>

Yes agreed, pointing the flaws of others, is not the way of promoting Ramakrishna's teachings. He never faulted any religion. The issue in this programme was how to stop fighting in the name of religion. We responded by saying that reason why we get fantic behaviour in the name of religion is the 'exlusivist agendas' promoted by some (not all) people in Christianity and Islam. Our presentation was pure Ramakrishna: "Many pathways to the same destination is the central tenet of Hinduism and that explains how many world religions can co-exist with dignity and without threatening or feeling threatened by others."

jay

Guest guest

Hi Sriram,

I understand what you are saying, but I do not agree that for the sake of displeasing someone we should not say anything.

The point of the fact is that the Abhrahamic faiths are exclusive faiths as stated in their scriptures, which clearly imple other faiths as inferior. This is a very serious issue.

Even Hinduism has shortcomings and we should be pleased to listen to them, no matter how liberal we are, from anybody.

Just because something is in place for thousand of years does not mean it is perfect.

It is of course better if these questions are raised in their own minds as you say. But we leave in a global village where we are directly affected by what goes on in their minds. we have to speak our minds as well. I am not saying that we have a go at their religions, no never, that would be an insult my mentors like Swami Vivekananda. Not saying anything is not the answer.

If you look at Swami Vivekananda lectures, he was fearless and never afraid of saying want he felt was important for society. If necessary, he would be critical of all religions including Hinduism.

The point I agree fully is that vedantic teachings should be propagated even if indirectly to all mankind.

Vijay Hirani

Sriram wrote :-

I don't think pointing out short comings of any religion would be of any benefit. The Christian and Islam systems are in place of thousands of years and their members however much liberal would be hurt by such comments. If a person's religious notions are not questioned by others but by their own minds, would they try to reinterprit them and try to find a universal outlook. (rest deleted)

Guest guest

Hello,

While we need to be loving to all, is it not our primary goal to focus on

ourselves to eventually fully realize god, and in practicing

quietly on this, do we not change the energy within us as well as

outside of

ourselves, thereby silently changing the world?

Are any of us as enlightened as Swami Vivekananda? To me lectures and

teaching, while all good and fine to read and contemplate, were given for

those who were present, for specific purposes and learning, not to be

repeated and applied with " mind " to situation that we " think " they apply.

If god speaks to you directly, at a specific moment, then put it out there.

The idea of " preaching " lectures to the general public somehow seems

well...... contrary to the lectures.

I am not a teacher, or enlightened, so I probably should not even comment.

This is a very interesting topic, and I thank you all for allowing me to

participate.

Angel