IndiaDivine.org

Re : Karma and Grace.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Ramanath ji,

Namaste. I appreciate your post as well as that of dear Bob and Angel. I hope we will have more discussion on this issue.

First of all I must point out that Sri Ramakrishna never promised anybody anything. Rather he pointed out the virtues of forebearance. Holy Mother says we should all be like Mother Earth who tolerates so much yet does not complain. She also said that in one's last life suffering seems to be never ending. However both Thakur and Ma held out hope that no suffering lasts for ever and that spiritual practices go a long way in reducing suffering.

While the metaphysical affects of spiritual practices are still beyond me to comprehend, I can see some benefits as detailed under;

1. We acknowledge that our problems stem from our own past actions. This makes us more responsible about our present actions too as they form the basis of our future.2. We rise from our petty day to day existence and are forced to seek something higher.3. Though our suffering remains the same we do acquire a changed attitude which helps develop patience.4. By flowing through the pain of existence we ultimately get a new lease of life, one in which we appreciate the problems of others more than our own.5. We realise the impermanence of things material and ultimately evolve into a spiritual being.

We may be overwhelmed by our present problems but theosophy says that the soul consciously seeks out difficult births so that it can resolve pending issues and evolve faster towards its goal of merging with the Supreme. Therefore while acknowledging the difficulties of a problematic life we must also rejoice in the fact that we are possesed by a conscious soul that knows best.

A very poor and unemployed devotee used to frequent the Math. Revered Swami Premanandaji used to dutifully listen to his woes. Then one day he said, "My son, if you did not suffer so much would you have come to me?". The devotee realised the blessing of God. There is a similiar story about a devotee complaing to Revered Swami Bhuteshanandaji.

A very sick monk used to sing paens on the virtues of renounciation and yet pester Swami Turiyanandaji with his physical problems. Swami Turiyanandaji pointed out his mistake with the remark, "The body too is samsara (a temporary illusion of Maya). Rise above it."

The above counsel is not given from a high pedestal. Through my own experience I know that surrender and patience is often the best solution. Help will definitely come and often from unexpected quarters. The trick is to remain attentive so that the messages from the Divine are not lost.

In my own painful days, not that I am entirely free of pain now, I hungrily consumed all spiritual literature that came my way. I also associated with the revered monks of the Order. And yes, I did read up on disease and its cure from various sources other than conventional. It was all of the above that ultimately came to my aid and has made my life somewhat bearable.

Karma is infallible but that does not mean there is no breathing space. So long as there is life in the body we have the right to struggle against our woes. Those who struggle are the beloved of God and they come out victorious.

The regular recitation of the Gayatri Mantra has the power to dispel all the negative forces that come between us and the spiritual life. The Mahamrityunjay Mantra gives deliverance to the sick. The Hanuman Chalisa, Ram Nam Sankirtan and Shiva Mahimna Stotram helps us rise above day to day difficulties. The name of Sri Ramakrishna and the regular reading of the Kathamrita leads us forms death to immortality. The name of Ma Sarada is the loving grace that propels us on the path. The exhortions of Swamiji gives us the strength to fight the infallible laws of fate and karma. The lives and teachings of the direct disciples show how all that can be done.

Regards,Jagannath.

Start your day with - make it your home page