IndiaDivine.org

Consciousness

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Consciousness

The greatest virus that has infected mankind in the last few hundred years is the virus of Materialism that has implanted the idea in all of us that everything can be reduced to matter and / or its epiphenomenon.

The refutation comes from the king of sciences itself - Physics. It is with the discovery of Quantum Mechanics that we can now once and for all reject the 'material interpretation of the universe' as seriously flawed. The father of quantum mechanics Heisenberg said, "to suggest that the universe can be reduced to sticks and stones or smaller versions of sticks and stones is not possible" This statement is non-negotiable in modern Physics. So what is the basis to the universe if it is not matter? The Hindus have answered this since ancient times. It is the spirit that underpins the universe and not matter. And the clearest manifestation of the spirit is 'Consciousness' itself.

jay

Dear Jay,

I think even a blind person will not fail to understand this. Even if

you breakdown the Universe we again get the same energy. So we come

from energy and we go back into energy.

I think everybody understands this but no one is willing to go in for

the sacrifice of material pursuits that drives the world economy

today.

Sri Ramakrishna summed it up wisely, " Kamini and kanchan. " They are

the greatest stumbling blocks.

Regards,

Jagannath.

Ramakrishna , " Vivekananda Centre "

<vivekananda@b...> wrote:

>

> Consciousness

>

> The greatest virus that has infected mankind in the last few

hundred years is the virus of Materialism that has implanted the idea

in all of us that everything can be reduced to matter and / or its

epiphenomenon.

Namaste Shri Jay.I am able to understand, in a rudimentary way, the equivalence of mass and energy. What I don't understand is where consciousness comes into the picture, if indeed, it does at all.There are some results from physics that I draw comfort from - Bell's Therem with it's implications for the unity of existence paradigm and the subjective view of the universe that seems to be at the heart of quantum physics. (I should stress here that I have no background in science; I am merely struggling to make some sense of it all to satisfy my personal desire for coherence).A possibly interesting twist to the bigger battle between the materialist and spiritualist paradigms also comes to mind: The view that the world is an illusion (maya), it seems to me, is not totally at odds with the view of consciousness as an epi- or even non-phenomenon. After all, the realization that we strive for as spiritual works-in-progress, is the dissolution of the body-mind identity. If consciousness is a fiction, then it is indeed true that experience is maya. So is the reductionistic view of consciousness, necessarily the enemy of spirituality as popularly conceived? Or can it serve as yet another path, albeit with nihilistic overtones, into the knowledge of Brahman?Regardsfg Ramakrishna , "Vivekananda Centre" <vivekananda@b...> wrote:>> Consciousness> >