IndiaDivine.org

How can we understand the principle of I AM I?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

How can we understand the principle of “I AM I�

The phrase “I am I†might sound mystifying to many who are hearing it for the first time, and so, maybe, I should make some comments on it. Suppose you were to ask someone you come across the question, “Who are you?†Most likely, the person would begin by saying, “I am so and so,†and in the process give his name. Did this man appear in this world with that name tag attached to his body? No; the name he bears, as Baba often reminds us, was given to him by his parents, after his birth.

Ask anyone his name, and he would reply, “I am Smith,†or “I am Amar,†or whatever. Notice, that everyone, no matter who he or she is, always starts with the word “Iâ€. It is always: I am Smith, or Amar. That “I†is common to all; bear this point in mind and I shall come back to it soon.

By conquering our desires, we weaken the mind's control over us, allowing the divine light to shine through

Let us now turn to God. God, as we all know, is both formless and nameless [it is a different matter we give Him all kinds of names!]. Suppose God were to appear before us and we ask Him, “Who are You?†How do you think He would reply? He cannot say “I am so and so†and give a name for He has none. He would simply say, “I am Iâ€. That of course would not make much sense to us; but suppose God were to put it this way: “You want to know who I am? Well, when you answer ‘I am Rama’ or ‘I am Krishna’ who is that ‘I’ you are referring to? Have you ever thought about that?†Understanding the “I am I†principle boils down to answering the question I just posed.

Let us go back to the answer “I am Smith,†or “I am Ramaâ€. Suppose the person says instead, “You asked me who am I? Well, I am really three entities combined into one. These entities are: 1) The atma, which is really the core of my personality, 2) the mind, and 3) the physical body that you see before me. If you are asking me about my body, then that body answers to the name Smith. When I go around in the world, that is the name I use for operational purposes.

However, if you want to know about the Real me, that is the atma. Thus, even when I say, “I am Mr. Smith,†I should really say, “I am really the atma, but this atma is encased in a body that goes by the name Mr. Smith. I certainly am Mr. Smith for worldly purposes, but in reality I am actually the atma or God.†Indeed, it is in recognition of this that Vedanta declares, Aham Brahmasmi, meaning, “I am Godâ€.

Given all this background, the question I am trying to answer now becomes, “How do I realise I am God?†This is an important point. Baba has told us many times, “You are Godâ€. Surely, that fact must have registered in our heads. However, that does not mean we realise that we are God! That realisation would come only when we quite naturally act like God. What does that mean? It means we act with zero selfishness, with absolutely no anger or hatred ever to anyone, are always full of love for all, and see all to be alike, are ever compassionate and full of forbearance and so on.

These things must become quite natural, almost like breathing; are we ever conscious that we are breathing? And yet we are breathing all the time, aren’t we? If in the same way Pure Love becomes a natural part of our life, then we become God even if we have a body, and that body answers to a particular name, Smith, or Akbar or Rama, or Swamy Mahadevan etc whatever it be.

I am not sure if I got through, but I do hope that I have at least given you enough to think about!...Ok Think it well and write to me Sai Ram

(To be Continued...with the GIFT for the Correct Answer)

How does one live in the world, but not of the world?

If Any Devotees will be giving the correct answers on or before 15th Oct 2009 on or before 11Pm for the above Question named thats

"How does one live in the world, but not of the world?

then their 3 days stay in Shirdi and 1 day Tirupathi & 3 days Stays in Puttaparthi with Our Group full expenses with VIP Darshan's everywhere (belongs to groups by Swamy Mahadevan Ok Sai Ram)

Its not a lottery Game, Its not a Mudtka Mumbai Game, Its not a Online numbering game lottery Game.

Need a Correct answe for the above question thats all.. But Its a Spiritual Lottery Questions Game, that also Just to uplift every body thats all Sai Ram . I started it just to uplift the humanbeings by Sai's Grace & Blessings as per Sri Sai Satcharitra

Why you Cant tray for this Sai Ram & Be a Winner and have Sai's & Balaji's Darshan

This is the first type of articles appearing in our Divine SAIMA's all the groups today OK. .All the best and best wishes Sai ram

Sai Bless you ever and ever!!!

Jai sai Ram

Swamy Mahadevan

Bow to Shri sai-Peace be to all

/

2 of 2 Photo(s)

spacer.gif