IndiaDivine.org

TALK GIVEN BY DR.JUMSAI PART ONE...EDUCATION IN HUMAN VALUES

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Talk Given by Dr. Jumsai"Education in Human Values"-OM... OM... OM...Shanti Shanti ShantihiI offer my loving pranams at the Divine Lotus Feet of Bhagavan Baba.Sai Ram to all of you.(Audience) "Sai Ram! Sai Ram!"I think that this session can be questions and answers rather thangiving a talk. So, if you have any questions or if you like to askanything, I will try to answer.SOCIAL TRANSAFORMATION DRIVEN BY EDUCATION IN HUMAN VALUESQuestion: Maybe you could talk to us about Education in Human

Values,how it influences our lives, the lives of youth, and education. Maybeyou could repeat the example about what you said in Barcelona aboutchildren trying and trying. There was some experiment. We would liketo hear that example once again.Answer: Education in Human Values is really the main mission ofBhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. It is through this education that Swamihas said His Message will be known all over the world. It is throughthis education that peace will be established in the world. In fact,Swami has started another trust called the 'Sri Sathya Sai Trust forWorld Peace', and education will be the main work of the new trust.Thus, education is going to become more and more important in theworld. The reason is because children, when they go through thissystem of education, are transformed. And when children aretransformed, then the teachers very quickly are also

transformed(although the teachers should first transform themselves before theyteach children!) (Laughter)But you know, as in the Sathya Sai School in Thailand, many teacherscome from many places. They are not devotees. But then, when theycome close to the children who are full of love, they becometransformed. And when children go back home, they transform theparents. So, in this way, the society is getting transformed. That'swhy it is very important that we work hard to set up Sathya Saischools as model schools in every country in the world.Right now we have 57 Sathya Schools in 35 countries. 40% of all theSathya Sai schools are in Latin America. So, there is a lot of workin Spanish-speaking countries in Latin America. We have done a lot ofresearch in trying to find out what is happening in all the SathyaSai schools in the world. And we have made several case studies ofchildren

studying in Sathya Sai schools. Everywhere we find thatthere is lot of transformation in the children. And then, it goes onto the teachers, the parents and the society. So Swami is encouragingall of us to continue to do this work. I just talked to Swamiyesterday and He told me, "Work hard on education." (As if I am notworking hard!) I am already working very hard. (Laughter) So Hereally wants to push very hard to make sure that His education, whichis now changing quite a bit to what we call 'Educare', is goingaround the world.BRINGING SATHYA SAI EDUCARE TO SAUDI ARABIANow it is not only in the West or in the East, but where you have thestrongholds of Islam, that they are also interested in Sathya SaiEducation in Human Values. For example, in Saudi Arabia, which is theheadquarters where the religion of Islam is based.A few years

back, I was asked to go and give training to teachers inSaudi Arabia. The organiser was actually a medical doctor who comesfrom Denmark. But he is in a hospital where he treats the princes ofSaudi Arabia. So he had a lot of influence.So he asked me to go there to give a seminar. But then, they sent mea thick book like that. And in that thick book, it tells you what youcannot say in Saudi Arabia. (Laughter)They say that for a foreigner, who is not a Muslim, you cannot talkabout Islam. If you do so, your head will be cut off. (Laughter) I amnot allowed to talk about values. Because they have their own values,and they don't want any more values, they say.The medical doctor said he would arrange all the visas for me tocome. But finally, they said, "we don't need anybody to come andtrain our teachers." So, they rejected the visa application.At that time, I was Secretary to the Minister

of Foreign Affairs inThailand. So I told the medical doctor, "Don't worry. I will get myown visa." I went to the Ambassador of Saudi Arabia in Bangkok andyou know, diplomatically, you cannot refuse a visa for the Secretaryto the Minister of Foreign Affairs. So they gave me a visa, as wellas one to Dr. Tudo, who was my associate. We would go together to dotraining in those days.So, I contacted the doctor and told him that we were coming to givethis talk. They gave me a warning that when we go throughimmigration, they will question us as to why we want to come to thisplace, as it is not a tourist place and there's nothing for us tovisit once we come. And so, we were told that like that they willquestion you for a long, long time on entry.So, I just sang the song, "Why fear when I am here?" (Laughter) Andwe walked straight through immigration! Nobody saw us. (Laughter) Wewere out within

ten minutes. And the organisers weren't there. Theythought we would be delayed for at least an hour. We were outsidewaiting one hour before they came!Well, finally, they came. They took us to our place where we aregoing to stay. And the next morning, we had a meeting with theleaders of education in Saudi Arabia. They were all so afraid of usbeing there. They said, "You got to be so careful what you say.Because here, you cannot say what you want to say. You have to be socareful."Then the teachers who were invited to come were also protesting. Theysaid that they will report to the religious police everything we say.In Saudi Arabia, they have police especially for religion. They willprotect their religion. So, they need a lot of police people.Well, again I have to sing, "Why fear when I am here?" (Laughter) "Sosays Sathya Sai Baba, Sathya Sai Baba, Sathya Sai Baba, My Lord."The

next day, we had our seminar. The Muslim teachers were all there,trying to catch any mistake that we made.I spoke for three hours. And the Muslim teachers were in tears. Theycame up to me and said, "Is this what we were against? No! This issomething that we really need for our country, for Saudi Arabia."They were all so happy to hear what we presented to them, which wasthe essence of Sathya Sai Education.And then in the afternoon, Dr. Tudo spoke for another three hours.But this time, there was no problem. Everybody wanted to hear! Themiracle doctor, who is the Danish man, he was lying in the back ofthe lecture hall. He was lying down because he had terminal cancer.It was his last wish in the world that Sathya Sai Education should beheard in Saudi Arabia. And he was in tears as well, because he was sohappy about the whole proceeding. Then two or three days after that,he passed

away.So, you see the power of Sathya Sai Baba, getting the education,which is His main mission, to go to every country in the world.TRANSFORMATION OF EMIRATES MINISTER OF EDUCATIONI would just like to tell you another story in another Muslimcountry; this time in United Arab Emirates. We were invited there tospeak at an Indian school. There they don't mind if we to talk to anIndian school because it is for Indians only. But to make it reallyofficial, they called the Minister of Education to come and open thefunction. His name is Sheikh Nahayan. He came to open the conferenceon Sathya Sai Education in Human Values for teachers.Well, the Sheikh, I met him at the beginning, before we started thefunction. He said that he is a very busy man and he has to go toanother meeting. So he would like to hear me for about 15 minutes,

nomore. Then I have to stop so that he can make an exit, so he can goout.So after the opening session, after everybody spoke officially, thenI was asked to speak for 15 minutes. So I went up on stage and SheikhNahayan was sitting in front of me, in front of the audience. I spokefor 15 minutes, and then I stopped and looked at the Sheikh. But theSheikh would not get up. He looked at me and he said, "Go on, go on,go on..." (Laughter)So I continued for another 15 minutes, and then I stopped and lookedat him again. (Laughter) And he would not get up but said, "Go on, goon, go on..." (Laughter) So I had to stop for every 15 minutes, buthe would say, "Go on, go on, go on..." This went on for over threehours! (Laughter)Then the Sheikh asked to go on the stage, asking for the microphone.There he announced publicly that this program was such a greatprogram that he wants all the teachers

in United Arab Emirates to betrained.True to his word, three months later, I received an officialinvitation from the United Arab Emirates Education Department to gothere to train the teachers. I was put up in the best hotel in theworld. (Laughter) They claim it is the best hotel in the world. And Ihave never been to such a luxurious hotel in my life. (Laughter)And then, they arranged a big meeting in the government hall. It isreally very big, and there were so many invitees and there were 1500teachers there. 70% of all the teachers who came were Muslims. Butthere were about 30% who were Americans or had come from Europeancountries and so on, to help in the teaching in United Arab Emirates.So, I gave a talk and they were very happy. Since then, I had to goback again to talk to the teachers. During the last session I had inUnited Arab Emirates, not very long ago -- only about three

monthsago, Sheikh Nahayan also came to listen. And again Sheikh Nahayan,who is the Minister of Education sat there and listened to all mypresentation.STORY OF THE KING WHO WAS AFRAID OF HIS WIVESYou know, in my presentation I told the story about the king who hadfive wives. You know the story, right? You don't know the story?!!There was a king who had five wives. And each wife would make a lotof demands: "I want this, I want that." So they were always askingthe king. And the king was afraid of his wives. He had to go and getthings for the wives, as all the five wives were all very demanding.So the king was not happy. Thus he went to consult his cabinetministers. "What can I do, so that I won't be afraid of my wives?"But the ministers, as they were all men said, "Sorry, Sire. We cannotadvise you because we are also afraid

of our wives!" (Laughter)So they thought, "Let us try to find some man who is not afraid ofhis wife in this kingdom. Then we will consult him as to why he isnot afraid, and he can tell us and advise us."So, the king invited all the male population to come for a bigmeeting. On that day, they planned to put up a tent for those who areafraid of their wives: Everybody who is afraid of their wife must goto that tent. Then there was to be another tent for those who werenot afraid of their wives. In this way, the men were to be separated.The idea was that they would go to the tent of those who are notafraid of their wives and get advice from the men there.So the big day came. All the male population came for the meeting,but they all went into the tent for those who are afraid of theirwives. Nobody came into the other tent.The king was getting very upset. "Are there no men in this

countrywho are not afraid of their wives?" At the last minute, one man didcome to the tent for those who are not afraid. Seeing this, the kingrushed to see that man. The king said, "Tell me your secret. How areyou not afraid of your wife?"But the man said, "Sorry, Sire. I am also afraid of my wife."The king was very angry and said, "Why did you come into this tent?You have got to go to the other tent!"The man said, "I will not go. You can punish me or you can dowhatever you like; but I won't go."So the king asked, "Why? Why won't you go?"And the man replied, "Because my wife told me to come to this tent!"(Laughter)Swami told this story to all of us in the past. It is to illustratethat we are like the king. The five senses are the five wives. Whenour eyes see something beautiful, the eyes create a desire: "I wantthis, I want that." And we are afraid of our five

senses. We don'tcontrol our five senses. We allow them to control us. So, Swami isurging us to become the king once again, and not the slave of thefive senses. Thus, the first step in our lives is to learn to controlthe five senses.When I told this story to the assembly in United Arab Emirates, theSheikh was laughing and laughing, and he was telling everybody, "InUnited Arab Emirates, we are only allowed four wives!" (Laughter) Hewas joking; he was actually very happy about it.So you see, that is another success story in another Muslim country.And now, I am doing a lot of training in Muslim countries.SATHYA SAI EDUCATION IN INDONESIA AND KAZAKHSTANIn Indonesia, it is very easy as they are very open. Now I've got togo and do a series of training for Muslim teachers in Indonesia.Another place where Sathya Sai Education is

really spreading isKazakhstan. The original people who lived in Kazakhstan are calledKazakhs. The Kazakhs are Muslims. And again, we were invited by theFirst Lady of Kazakhstan, who is a Kazakh. We started training in allthe regions of the country. I've been there six times already.Then last February, the First Lady came here to meet Swami. And theFirst Lady asked me to come, so that we could meet Swami together. SoI came and we had several interviews.Swami looked at me every time He called the Kazakh people. He said,"You are not Kazakh!" (Laughter)Then He told me, "This is only for Kazakhstan."So I looked sad. (Laughter) Swami looked at me and said, "Alright,alright. You can go in." (Laughter)So you see, God is not just Father and Mother. Sometimes, you have totreat Him as a Friend. Sometimes, you treat Him as an Elder Brother.But He is also our Father and Mother. As such,

He always has a lot ofcompassion and a lot of love for all of us.-Another country where we are now really going into is China. China isthe last stronghold of communism. But when I go in there, I see thatthey are becoming very quickly a capitalist country. The wholecountry is changing and they are moving rapidly intoindustrialisation. And because they moved very quickly intomaterialism, they have a lot of problems with their youth. So now,there is a demand for human values there as well.I have already gone into the Guandong Province to train teachersthere. And now, I have got an indication from the Nanjing localauthorities to go and train teachers there as well. And you know howit happened? (Murmurs "no, no" in audience)TRANSFORMATION

OF UNESCO OFFICIALYou remember in the year 2000, we had an international conferencehere. When we started arranging the conference, we were working withUNESCO and another university in Australia, Flinders University. TheUNESCO man at that time was not a devotee, but I brought him here tomeet Swami. And Swami called him in for an interview. I tried tofollow as usual. (Laughter)But this time, Swami said, "No, you can't go in." No matter how sad Ilooked, (Laughter) He would not allow me to go in. That man came outof the interview room. He had a green ring on, and his face waschanged; he was completely transformed by Swami. He came out and heembraced me, "You are now my brother." (Laughter)Then he asked me if I had been telling Swami about him, because Swamiknew everything about him! I said that I didn't know anything abouthis personal life. But

Swami was talking about his personal life. Sohe told me what it was about, and he gave me permission to tell allthese stories to everyone.Swami told him, "You are very worried. You are unhappy because yourwife is dying. She has terminal cancer." But Swami said, "Don't worryabout it. I will cure her." And He materialised some vibhuthi andgave it to him to give to his wife. So he was very happy, but hethought that I had told Swami all about his wife. But I didn't knowanything about this. I had never met his wife, and I didn't knowanything about all that.So he asked me then, "How does Swami know?"I just smiled. Anyway, he went back, and he gave the vibhuthi to hiswife. A few months later, he invited me to have dinner with thembecause they are based in Bangkok at the regional headquarters ofUNESCO. His wife was perfectly normal, completely cured.

We will continue Dr Jumsai's 2nd Part

Ram ChuganiKobe, Japan