KANSAI.LIGHT FOR JANUARY 2010 ISSUE NO.49

--------

KANSAI LIGHT FOR JANUARY 2010 ISSUE NO.49

News letter of Sri Sathya Sai Organization Japan

address: I.S.S, 2nd Fl, 1-3, Kumochi 5-Chome, Chuo Ku Kobe

Tel: 078-222-1885, Email: rgcjp

----------

PLEASE PRINT COPY FOR YOUR EASY REFERENCE

THIS PAGE HAS LOTS OF GRAPHICS. ALLOW SOME TIME AFTER IMMAGES TO APPEAR.

----------

You may or may not worship God, but you must respect your mother and father, who are responsible for your birth. Respect your mother. Keep her always happy. No one can estimate or describe a mother's love. It has no pollution. If you are able to win the love of your mother, it amounts to acquiring all degrees.. Our scriptures enjoin us to respect mother, father, teacher and God in that order. First and foremost is your mother who gave you birth. The father brings you up and puts you on the road to development. The mother is the foundation for the mansion of your life. The father represents the wall and the Guru is the roof. Finally, God is your life itself. Hence, those who yearn for God must love their mother first. If only you keep her happy, all other things of happiness will be added unto you.-Divine

Discourse, 22nd Nov 2009---------

MUSINGS ONAVATARS PART-6

THE EPIC MAHABHARATA: By Prof. G.Venkataraman

------------------------------

The Kauravas and the pandavas

The story of Krishna that I narrated earlier does not include a description of the Great War between the Kauravas and the Pandavas which took place at Kurukshetra. This war is a story in itself, and Krishna's role in this war is of paramount significance, particularly because it was at the beginning of this eighteen-day war that Krishna preached the Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna.

The Kurukshetra War was basically a family feud which not only snowballed into a huge conflict but actually became a tussle between righteousness (Dharma) and unrighteousness (Adharma). Initially it seemed as if fortune favoured the forces of evil (as indeed it always appears to). Eventually of course, Dharma triumphed, as it has to always, though throughout history mankind has generally lacked the confidence that it will!

By the way, it is no surprise that Dharma had the final say since the Blessed Lord was personally backing it. As in every other instance, the war left a massive trail of devastation, reminding us that the price of victory is never cheap; but when Dharma itself is at stake, no price is too expensive - that was the moral then and it remains the same today too.

King Santanu's Marriage Vow to Goddess Ganga

Santanu watches helplessly as Ganga drowns her newborns

The story starts with King Santanu of Hastinapura who one day came across a damsel of extraordinary and bewitching beauty. The young lady was none other than the goddess Ganga (representing the River Ganges) who, for divine reasons, had assumed a human form. Succumbing to her charms, the King begged her to become his wife, which Ganga agreed to but on one condition.

She said: “O King, under no circumstances must you ask me who I am, where I come from, etc. Nor must you ever probe my actions however legitimate your concern might seem to you. If you agree to my stipulations, I shall marry you but be warned that if ever you violate your promise, I shall forthwith leave you for ever.†So infatuated was the King that without a second thought he agreed to all the laid conditions.

Soon a child was born but Ganga, without batting an eyelid, threw the baby into the river Ganges! Santanu was horrified but bound by his promise, could do precious little. Other children came but every one of them was promptly despatched to a watery grave and the count quickly rose to seven. Then came the eighth child and as Ganga was about to throw the baby boy into the river, Santanu picked up courage and tried to stop her.

Promise broken, Goddess Ganga ascends to heaven with their son

Ganga then said to Santanu: “O King, you seem to have forgotten your promise and so I have to leave you now. This child I shall not kill but will take him with me; however, later I shall hand him over to you. But before I go let me tell you that I am not a heartless woman given to killing her own children.

Those whom I was forced to destroy were bound by a curse and I was the agency used for implementing the curse.†She said so and disappeared with the baby. About eight or so years later Ganga appeared before Santanu and handed over his son who had been named Devavrata and had already become proficient in the martial arts. Ganga then vanished.

Bhishma's Terrific Vow

Four more years went by and one day, Santanu saw a young fisherwoman named Satyavati whom he wanted to marry. He approached the father of the girl and the father said that he would give his daughter in marriage provided Santanu would make her child the King of the realm after Santanu's death. This, the King would not agree to, because that would amount to rank injustice to Devavrata, now blossoming as a fine prince. Nevertheless, he continued to pine for Satyavati.

Seeing his father in a distraught condition, Devavrata made enquires. Once he came to learn of the reason, he promptly renounced his claim to the throne and in addition swore that he would never marry so that there would be no children through him who could later contest the kingship. On account of this vow Devavrata came to be known as Bhishma or the one who took a terrific vow, a name that replaced the one given by his mother.

Bhishma renounces his prospective throne by taking a vow of chastity

Santanu had two sons named Chitrangada and Vichitravirya through Satyavati, and to Vichitravirya were born two sons named Dhritarashtra and Pandu. Dhritarashtra married Gandhari and sired a hundred sons known collectively as the Kauravas. Pandu married two wives - Kunti and Madri - and had five sons in all, known as the Pandavas.

Dhritarashtra, the elder son, was born blind and therefore Pandu was appointed to the throne. At that time, Pandu had no sons. One day he went hunting and as the result of unhappy circumstances came under the curse of a Rishi according to which he, Pandu, would forfeit his life if he sought conjugal pleasure.

Heartbroken, Pandu surrendered the kingdom to his elder brother Dhritarashtra, and retired with his two wives to the forest to lead a life of penance and austerity.. Dhritarashtra was advised in the affairs of the state by his able minister Vidura and of course also by his uncle Bhishma.

A Gift from the Sun God

Pandu's elder wife Kunti was actually the sister of Vasudeva, the father of Krishna. You might remember that I have mentioned this before. When she was young she had been given in adoption to a king named Kunti Bhoja and for that reason, she was known as Kunti. As a young girl, Kunti had won a special boon from Sage Durvasa. According to that, by chanting a sacred Mantra and thinking of a deity, she would get a son with all the qualities of that deity.

Radha and Adhiratha adopt the child Karna, the Sun God's son

Tremendously excited, Kunti decided to try it out immediately and chanting the Mantra, she meditated upon Surya (the Sun god). Surya at once appeared before her and said: "I bless you with my son." Aghast, Kunti said, "My Lord, I didn't realise that this Mantra was so powerful and that it would work so fast! I am not married and what would people say if I were to have a son now? Please help me!"

Surya replied, "I am afraid I cannot take back the son. But don't worry, for, the baby would be born right now and you don't have to wait for nine months; also, the birth would not affect your virginity."

Karna, the child of Surya, was born forthwith and putting the baby in a sealed box, Kunti let the box afloat in a river. The box was spotted and picked up by a charioteer named Adhiratha, and Karna grew up under the care of the charioteer’s wife named Radha. For this reason, Karna was also sometimes referred to as Radheya.

Later Kunti got married to Pandu and when she went along with him to the forest, Pandu desiring progeny asked her to invoke the boon granted by Durvasa. Thus it was that Kunti gave birth to Yudhishtra by meditating upon Dharmaraja, the Lord of righteousness and death; Bhima, by meditating upon Vayu, the wind god; and Arjuna by contemplating on Indra, the King of the Devas (angels). On Pandu's request, Kunti taught Madri the same Mantra and helped her to get two sons named Nakula and Sahadeva. In this way, Pandu became the notional father of five sons [collectively known as the Pandavas], but biologically he was not.

Arjuna vs. Karna: A Prelude to War

After the birth of the five sons, Pandu was one day seized with physical desire and sought to enjoy conjugal relations with Madri. Instantly the curse became effective, and he died. The Pandava princes now returned from the forest to Hastinapura and came under the protection of their grandsire Bhishma. The latter appointed Kripa (known reverentially as Kripacharya) as a teacher to the sons of Dhritarashtra as well as of Pandu. Though the Kauravas and the Pandavas grew up together, there was generally no love between them, particularly between Duryodhana, the eldest of the Kauravas, and Bhima. The only one to rise totally above all ill feelings was the eldest of them all, the wise and gentle Yudhishtra (also known as Dharmaputra) who was singularly different.

Karna is crowned King in order to challenge Arjuna to combat

Sometime later, the task of imparting instruction fell to Drona (also referred respectfully as Dronacharya), the brother-in-law of Kripacharya. One day, Drona announced a public contest to test the skills of his pupils. It was a big event, and besides the king, the elite as well as the general public were invited to witness the proceedings.

One by one the young princes were called upon to display their skills, and when it came to the turn of Arjuna, there appeared in the arena an intruder who dared to challenge Arjuna, and actually displayed equal skill in archery.

Feeling deeply insulted, Arjuna challenged the intruder to a combat; the intruder was none other than Karna. At this stage, Drona intervened to say that a prince could fight only another prince. Would Karna identify himself? Was he a prince? Whose son was he?

Karna, who believed that he was the son of a charioteer, felt deeply pained that he was being kept out on flimsy technical grounds. It was at this stage that Duryodhana came forward to extend support and patronage to Karna, an act that was to have far-reaching consequences.

On the spot, Duryodhana made Karna the King of Anga, a territory lying within the kingdom of Dhritarashtra. Meanwhile the Sun had set and the days proceedings were declared concluded; as a result the fight between Karna and Arjuna did not take place. But deep animosity between the two took root and it lasted till Karna was finally killed in the Kurukshetra war.

Duryodhana's Plot Backfires

When the Kaurava princes and the Pandavas reached the age of assuming responsibility, there was much speculation about how Dhritarashtra would transfer power. On the compelling advice of Bhishma and Vidura [in passing I should mention that Bhishma and Vidura acted as advisers to Dhritarashtra], Dhritarashtra appointed Yudhishtra as the Crown Prince. However, that did not imply, at least in Dhritarashtra's mind, that Yudhishtra would automatically succeed to the throne.

The Pandavas build a tunnel to escape certain death

Duryodhana, of course, was in no mood to be deprived of power or even to share it with the Pandavas, and he spared no pains to hatch schemes for the elimination of his cousins. Plotting with his uncle Sakuni and Karna, Duryodhana got built a fabulous palace at a place called Varanavata.

The palace was unusual in that it was built entirely of lacquer, a highly inflammable material, though this was not evident to the eye. Duryodhana's idea was to somehow entice the Pandavas to visit the palace and once they were there, to arrange an "accidental" fire in which his cousins would perish.

The Pandavas duly fell into the trap, but Vidura who got wind of Duryodhana's evil intentions gave a coded warning to Yudhishtra with the words: "A forest fire cannot hurt a rat which shelters itself in a hole."

When the Pandavas reached their destination and discovered that the palace was nothing but a fire bomb, they quietly built a tunnel, set fire to the palace themselves before Duryodhana's agents could do so, and silently escaped through the tunnel into the forest. News about the fire reached Hastinapura and Duryodhana, who did not know that his plan had gone astray, assumed that the Pandavas were dead and secretly rejoiced. Only Vidura knew that the Pandavas were safe and he shared that information with Bhishma alone.

Deeply conscious now that the Kauravas would not stop at anything, the Pandavas chose to remain in disguise as they wandered about. In the process, they came to the kingdom of Panchala (the land of the five rivers, i.e., modern Punjab) ruled by Drupada. Drupada was an enemy of Drona, and he had two sons named Dhristadyumna and Sikhandi. The latter was actually born as a girl but aided by divine circumstances later transformed into a boy; this sex change was to have implications in the elimination of Bhishma in the Great War.

A 'Prize' for the Pandavas

At the time when the Pandavas made their entry into Panchala, Drupada had arranged an exotic archery contest to select a suitor for his daughter Draupadi (also known as Panchali).

Arjuna wins the 'prize' : Draupadi, the daughter of Drupada

Disguised as Brahmins, the Pandavas made their way to the scene of the contest. The contest, which was open to members of the warrior class (i.e., the Kshatriya caste), soon got under way. None could score a success, including Karna, who missed by the proverbial hair's breadth.

At this stage, Arjuna stood up to ask if a Brahmin could make a try. Draupadi's brother Dhristadyumna said that any noble son of a noble mother could do so, whereupon Arjuna with effortless ease shot into the complex target. Without a moment's hesitation, Draupadi followed Arjuna to the hut of the Pandavas.

As the victors were entering, Kunti asked them what they had brought home from the contest. "A prize", was the reply, whereupon, Kunti having no knowledge of the nature of the so-called prize, asked them to share it equally. Naturally this posed a nasty problem, and Draupadi was duly consulted.

She did not mind marrying all the five simultaneously, but her father Drupadha was shocked beyond words - naturally. At this stage, Sage Vyasa arrived on the scene and he told Drupadha that in her previous birth, Draupadi had prayed five times intensely to Siva for a good husband. Her prayers were being answered all together now in this birth, and so, a one-time exception could be made to a woman marrying more than one husband. Vyasa also added that no other woman could invoke this example as an excuse to marry more than one husband.. Drupada withdrew his objection, and Kunti welcomed the new addition to their family.

At the time of their marriage, the Pandavas gave up their disguise, and of course, Drupada was most delighted to learn that his sons-in-law were actually princes. The Pandavas returned to Hastinapura triumphantly, much to the delight of Vidura, Bhishma and the general public as well; needless to say that Duryodhana and Karna boiled inside with fury since their plan had completely backfired.

The Pandavas return to Hastinapura amidst much fanfare

The big question was: "What would happen now?" Bhishma advocated that the best course would be for Dhritarashtra to divide his kingdom into two parts and hand over one of these to the Pandavas to rule, leaving the other half to the Kauravas.

Vidura lent active support and added, "It is a common talk among the people that we tried to kill the Pandavas. This is the only way of silencing such gossip." Though not quite willing, Dhritarashtra yielded as this seemed the best way of securing peace.

Outwitted, Duryodhana tried to make the best of a bad bargain by making sure that the portion of the empire that the Pandavas received was dry, barren and unproductive.

Naming their kingdom as Indraprastha, by sheer hard work the Pandavas transformed it into a lush and prosperous country, whereupon Duryodhana once again became furious and consumed with jealousy.

Meanwhile, Krishna's association with the Pandavas grew, and that is how He came to use Bhima to exterminate Jarasanda. Later, Krishna exploited the opportunity provided by the Rajasuya Yajna performed by Yudhishtra to personally annihilate Sishupala.

Fates Decided by a Game of Dice

Duryodhana's anger against the Pandavas having reached new heights, the plotting against them resumed with renewed vigour. Many plans were considered, outright war being one of them. Karna was fully in favour of a direct attack, but Duryodhana's uncle Sakuni strongly advised against it. He said, "We must use brains and not brawn. Entice them to a game of dice and leave the rest to me." Seeing the merit of the suggestion, the plotters then met Dhritarashtra and sought his blessings to invite the Pandavas for a game of dice.

Dhritarashtra consulted Vidura who was revolted by the idea. However, by exploiting parental softness, Duryodhana had his way and Vidura, the objector, was himself despatched to convey the invitation to the Pandavas for a game of dice. In those days, the etiquette among kings was that an invitation to a sport, especially a game of dice should be honoured and not refused. And thus, it was that Yudhishtra and his brothers came to Hastinapura for what they thought was a normal game of dice.

Yudhishtra gambles everything away through a rigged game of dice

Duryodhana, of course, had other plans and proposed that while he would make the wagers, the dice would actually be thrown on his behalf by Sakuni. The ever-soft Yudhishtra raised no objections, not suspecting in the least that Sakuni would skilfully manipulate the dice, literally making them dance to his (Sakuni's) tune.

Yudhishtra had a string of failures or bad luck, unprecedented in history but never once did he suspect foul play. In all innocence, he played according to the rules, while his opponents cheated at every conceivable opportunity.

To cut a long story short, Yudhishtra wagered and successively lost jewels, chariots, animals like horses, elephants, even cows, sheep, etc. Having lost all worldly possessions, he then bet his four brothers and lost them too. Egged by Sakuni, he then thoughtlessly offered his own self as a wager, and soon found that he too had become the slave of Duryodhana!

One would have thought that would be the end of the game; no, Yudhishtra was reminded that he still had something he could wager and that was his wife, Draupadi. His discrimination entirely blunted, Yudhishtra took the incredible step of offering Draupadi as a bet and lost her too. And this precisely was what many like Karna were waiting for - to inflict the ultimate in humiliation.

While all this drama was going on in the royal assembly, Draupadi was indoors blissfully unaware that her husband had lost everything including himself and her too.. But when Duryodhana's brother Duhsasana burst into her chambers to drag her by her hair to the assembly, the reality of the situation hit her like a ton of bricks. There she was in the assembly, the high and the mighty at one end, her enslaved husbands at the other, and she in the middle held by her hair by Duhsasana, while the Kauravas took turns in taunting her and hurling filthy remarks.

Draupadi's Miracle

Deep in anguish and eyes drenched with tears, Draupadi looked pleadingly at her husbands, five of them, but there was no help from that quarter. She then appealed to the learned ones like Bhishma and Kripacharya, but they silently looked the other way. And then, rising to new levels of indecent and atrocious behaviour, Duhsasana, at the behest of Duryodhana and Karna tried to disrobe Draupadi in public.

Krishna's miracle answers Draupadi's pleas

The distressed damsel now had only one resort, and that was to appeal to Lord Krishna Himself. Loudly and pathetically she wailed, "O Krishna, O Lord of Mathura, O Lord of Dwaraka, O my Indweller, where are You in my hour of distress? They say You have a thousand eyes. Are they not watching what is going on?

"And pray, what did I do to deserve all this? My husbands swore by the sacred fire to protect me and my honour. Look at them now standing silently and not lifting a little finger! You are my only refuge and I surrender totally to You; it is now entirely up to You to protect my modesty."

Lo and behold, an extraordinary miracle took place. Even as Duhsasana tried to remove Draupadi's garments, fresh ones kept appearing. He tried and tried to strip her completely, but her sari kept extending endlessly. Eventually he became physically tired and simply quit, after which the proceedings abruptly ended.

Altogether, it was an electrifying drama and different people reacted differently. Dhritarashtra, for one, was frightened out of his wits, and counselled by his Queen Gandhari, he drew Draupadi aside, profusely apologised to her and promised that he would grant any wish of hers. Draupadi merely desired that her husbands be set free; they did not come to her rescue but here she was rescuing them! Dhritarashtra gladly did as asked and offered another boon to Draupadi which she politely refused. However, in a rare mood of generosity, Dhritarashtra gave back to Yudhishtra all that had been won (by unfair means) from him. So, at the end of the day, the Pandava brothers went back with their kingdom intact and a bag full of unpleasant memories.

This scene in the Mahabharatha is full of significance. This I shall elaborate in the next episode. Till then, all the best and may God be with you.

Jai Sai Ram.

(To be Continued...)

Dear Reader,In response to your positive feedback to this section where we have a conversation with the Divine, we continue with Prof. Anil Kumar’s ‘Satyopanishad’ following Dr. John Hislop’s series ‘Conversations with Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba’ that ended in January 2008.This series is also in the question-answer format that many devotees prefer, and has answers from Bhagavan on topics as wide ranging as the origin of evil, the goals of human life, and aspects of God – embodied and formless, to price hikes, women’s liberation, vegetarianism, and the generation gap among people of the present times.Published in two parts by the author, these volumes have 270 questions in all, which are neatly grouped under separate chapters. In this issue, we continue chapter seven, “Sadhana, The Inner Doorâ€.

CHAPTER VII:Sadhana, The Inner Door

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Now we understand from Your divine discourse and by Your grace how important is devotion. But, faith is the base of devotion. How is one to cultivate faith, Swami?

Bhagavan: What a foolish question you have asked! What do you mean by ‘cultivating faith’? Can you cultivate it? Is that a commodity to be purchased from a shop? It can neither be given nor received. Faith is your natural quality. In fact, faith (visvasa) is your breath (svasa). Without it, you cannot breathe.

Just think for a moment how you carry on your daily routine with or without faith. You will soon notice that your every action, both mundane and spiritual, is based only on faith. You give your clothes, costly shirts and safari suits, to a washerman in full faith that he would bring them back after washing and ironing.If you suspect that he would run away with your clothes, will you give them to him? Most valuable gold is given to goldsmiths to make jewellery out of it in good faith that they would do so. Even if a trace of doubt arises in your mind, will you ever hand over valuable gold?

You go to a barber for a haircut. Do you for a moment entertain the feeling that he would put his knife not on your head but in your neck? You bend your head in good faith in front of the barber to have your hair cut. So also in good faith, a patient lies down on the operation table and allows himself to be operated upon by the surgeon. Do you doubt that your life is not safe in his hands? No. So, be he a washerman or a goldsmith or a barber or a doctor for that matter, all transactions are made in good faith. So faith is a natural gift of God to mankind. To be faithless is unnatural and artificial. But the pity of it is that you have full faith in everyone but not in God. Isn't that very unfortunate?

Devotion and faith are like the two eyes of a living being or the two wheels of a bicycle or the two wings of a bird. Without faith, as we say, even an ant can't move an inch. A bird cannot fly high without faith. A bird perches on a branch. The branch may be drooping or swinging, yet the bird is not bothered. Why? It is because the bird has full faith in its wings on which it relies but not on the branch. So, everything depends on your faith.

Faith is a natural gift of God to mankind. To be faithless is unnatural and artificial. But the pity of it is that you have full faith in everyone but not in God. Isn't that very unfortunate?

How do you know your father? It is your mother, who has the authority to show you your father and you have full faith in your mother. If not, there is no way to know your father. You know the dates and the days from a calendar and you go by what the calendar indicates. Otherwise, how do you know that today, say, is Monday, the 14th May? The day has not appeared in front of you with a signboard on the forehead indicating the day of the week and the date. You have full faith in all that you listen to from the All India Radio news bulletin and the various news columns that you go through in a newspaper.So much so, you believe what you hear on the radio, watch on the T.V., read in the newspapers, but you don't believe our rishi vakya, or the sayings and teachings of our sages and saints of yore, embodied in the Vedas and other holy scriptures. The Vedas are called

isvariya,

apauru seya, that is, compositions that have come from God. You don't have faith in them. How strange and unfortunate it is! Think over it for sometime.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Why are some people not devoted to God? Devotion, it seems, has no place in their lives. Would you kindly tell us the reason?Bhagavan: Very simple. It is only sensual pleasure that makes people disinclined towards God. Meaningless worry about the future, excessive desires, building castles in the air are a way of life with them. Ambition to reach heights they don't deserve and too much attachment to the family and the world, all these are factors that make a man not devoted to God. There can be no other reason beyond these.

If the stress is laid on the world, your love of God will be less, and on the other hand, if your love of God is greater (heavy at one end as in the game) your attachment to the world becomes less (light at the another end).

You know the seesaw on which children play. If one end goes up, the other end comes down, and vice versa. If the stress is laid on the world, your love of God will be less, and on the other hand, if your love of God is greater (heavy at one end as in the game) your attachment to the world becomes less (light at the another end). This is how the balance works. Isn't it so?

I will give you another example, that of a magnet. It draws iron filings towards it. But sometimes it doesn't. Why? If the iron pieces are rusted and dusty, they are not drawn and attracted by the magnet. Likewise, those people who are like iron pieces that are dusty and rusted by worldly desires, are not drawn to God, the 'Divine Magnet'. Now, is it clear why some are not devoted to God?

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Kindly give a direction to our spiritual pursuit? How should it continue? Like the flow of a river, what are the restrictions to be observed?Bhagavan: Nasreyo niyamam vina (Do not ever stray away from the rules). Everything must have limits without which you will face risks and dangers. A river that flows under certain conditions with banks on either side serves irrigation purposes better. Similarly, the river of life has two banks, one on each side, which is samsayatma vinasyati that is,‘the one who doubts perishes’ and on the other side is sraddhavan labhate gyanam, that is ‘By sincerity alone you develop wisdom’.

Once you doubt, all that you do will go in vain and nothing will be fruitful. No amount of scholarship or sadhana can help you if you allow doubt to step into your mind.

Your river of life should flow between these two banks. Your faith should not be shaken; it should never waver. Your faith should be strong and deep. No adverse situations and negative moments should make you lose your faith.A life without faith is like a pot with holes. You know that we water only the roots of a plant. Yet, water is supplied to all parts of the plant. You do not water the stem, branches and leaves separately. Similarly, the water of faith, if supplied to the roots of your life, will take care of everything else related to life. The tree of life can sustain itself if the water of faith is supplied to its root. Without this, the plant dries up and is no longer alive. It becomes firewood. Once you doubt, all that you do will go in vain and nothing will be fruitful. No amount of scholarship or sadhana can help you if you allow doubt to step into your

mind.

A small illustration: There was a pandit in a certain village. Daily, a milkmaid from the neighboring village used to bring him milk crossing a river by boat. In the process there was necessarily some delay in supplying milk to the pandit.One day the pandit questioned her and wanted to know the reason for the delay. She replied, “Oh Panditji! I have to cross the river by boat everyday to bring milk. I can only get into the second trip of the boat because the boatman will load in the first trip all the elders of the village. There is no alternative left for me. So, I am lateâ€..Then the pandit said, “Look! Why do you need to come by boat? I suggest that you carry the milk pots over your head and cross the river chanting God's name. The river will give way and you won't need to wait for the boat.â€The milkmaid believed in what the pandit said and so on

the next day

she could come on time and gave him the pot full of milk.

Then on his enquiry, she told him that she could bring the milk on time by simply following his instructions. The pandit was very much astonished at this, and could not believe her words and decided to verify the fact himself. He said to her, “Good! Now as you go back I shall follow you and see you as you cross the river chanting God's name and how the river gives way for you to cross it!"

Both of them came near the riverside. The milkmaid acted exactly according to the pandit’s instructions, that is, chanting the name of God. The pandit also wanted to act in the same way. He stepped forward and lifted his dhoti up to his knees so that his clothes would not be wet. He marched into the river step by step doubting if he would drown in the river. His doubt became a reality and he got drowned. Faith made the milkmaid walk across the river, while the pandit had no faith in his own words. Hence he fell into the river.The bank on the other side of the river of life is sraddha, sincerity, steadfastness, that confers Jnana, wisdom. You will be sincere only if you love the work you do. You should have full faith and love to become sincere.A student cannot pass the examinations if he has no faith that he can read, loves the

subject and

studies it sincerely. So, visvasa, prema and s'raddha (faith, love and sincerity) are the three steps that give you success in your attempts. A businessman or a lawyer or a doctor must be sincere, must have sraddha, in order to be successful in their profession.So for Jnana, you should be sincere and steadfast. What type of Jnana should it be? It is not physical, material, secular or worldly knowledge. It is the practical knowledge, anubhava jnana, that you get when you are sincere and steadfast. So these are the two banks on either side of the river of life, doubtlessness and sincerity or steadfastness.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Why and how do we get evil feelings such as jealousy, envy, pride, egoism, attachment and so on? How are we to get away from these evil feelings?Bhagavan: The main cause for all these evil feelings is your body attachment. These feelings are born in your mind. They depend on your interactions and relationships with others.A small example: Suppose you have a very intimate friend with whom you agree on everything. By chance, if you toss a rose flower at him, he will be immensely happy for your love and reverence. As ill luck would have it, if you do not see eye to eye with each other due to some differences, and if you toss a rose at him, he will totally misunderstand you. He will think that it is a deliberate action on your part to harm him, for your friend is a sugar patient (diabetic) and as such if a

thorn of the

flower by chance pricks him, it may cause an injury that never heals and even further complicates leading to the amputation of his hand. See the difference. The two individuals are the same. So also is the rose flower. But during the period of friendly terms, the act is viewed positively, and in the unfriendly period the same actions are viewed negatively. You will now know that everything lies in the mind. The rose flower that gives happiness to your friend creates suspicion in the mind of the same person during the period of animosity.Then, let me tell you about your next weakness, anger. Why should you and what for should you be angry with anyone? You tend to lose your energy due to anger. You become weak subsequently. The energy you have gained out of the food you have consumed during a couple of months is lost by a single fit of your anger. Here, enquire into the matter clearly. What exactly makes you angry? If anyone criticises,

reprimands, accuses, or blames you, naturally you are angry with that person.

Calm down for a moment and investigate clearly. Why should you be angry with anyone who points out your mistakes or defects? Are you not guilty? Are you angry because your faults are pointed out? Why? You need not be angry if your faults are pointed out.

Suppose you are faultless and not guilty, even then there is no need for you to be angry; because, it is only a false allegation.

If anyone says that my head is bald, I am not angry with him because there is no truth in what he says, as I am not bald. If anyone comments that I have a mop of hair, even then I am not angry because the truth is said. So let them say that I am a battatala Baba (bald-headed Baba) or buttatala Baba (Baba with a mop of hair), I am not angry either way. If you think in this way you will not be angry and annoyed with anyone.There is the worst form of disease for which there is no cure. It is envy or jealousy. Hatred ruined powerful kings like Hiranyaksha, Hiranyakasipu, Sisupala, Dantavaktra as mentioned in our epics like the Mahabhagavatham and the Mahabharata. Envy ruined the entire clan of Kauravas. Envy, pride, ego, jealousy and anger are demonic qualities. No one ever thinks of those with these evil tendencies. Have you met anyone by name

Duryodhana who is

the very personification of jealously in our epic Mahabharata? Have you met anyone by name Sisupala who is the embodiment of hatred in our scriptures? None. Why? It is a shame to be named so. There is then Mandhara, a woman character in the Ramayana, the very emblem of jealousy. She brought a bad name even to queen Kaikeyi. She was responsible for sending Rama to the forest and for Bharata's reign. Have you come across women by name Mandhara and Kaikeyi? No. Never. Why? They represent evil traits that ruin anyone.

Never be egoistic. Egoism is another trait that will lead to disrepute. Examine yourself when you feel egoistic. Why should you have ego? On what grounds should you be egoistic? In the entire world, India is of the size of an ant. There, in India your state of Andhra Pradesh is the size of an eye of the ant. Your Anantapur district is but a speck in the eye of the ant. Then, how about Puttaparthi and what are you and your standing in your family? Practically nothing. So don't give any scope for ego and pride. Of course, if at all you want to be egoistic and proud, you can be egoistic about your ignorance and proud of your foolishness! Attachment and self-interest may make you egoistic on false grounds.

Attachment and feelings of “I and mine" are not in your own interest. The feelings of thine and mine arise out of abhimana (attachment)and ahamkara (ego). An example: Your neighbour has a daughter who was seriously ill for quite some time. You were not bothered or worried about her health. A year after her illness it so happened that you married her. Thereafter even a slight temperature or cold in her body makes you apply for casual leave and stay away from office. Why? She is your wife and no longer the daughter of your neighbour. The difference is only due to attachment.

Never feel that the world is permanent and that your relationships with all around you are lasting. No. The second point is that you should not forget God under any circumstances. The third aspect is to remember not to fear death.

It is mamakara, the feelings of mine, that made Dhritarashtra, the old king of the Mahabharata support all the misdeeds of his sons and led to the total ruin of the entire clan. Though he had one hundred sons, he was left with none even to perform his last rites. To this state one will be reduced due to the feelings of 'I' and 'mine'.When these traits find a place in you, repeat ten times "I am a man, not an animal", "I am a man, not an animal" so that you can get rid of the animal qualities like ahamkara, ego, asuya, jealousy, irsha, envy, dvesa, hatred, abhimana, attachment, and mamakara, feelings of 'I' and 'mine'.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami, how wonderfully in simple terms and in such an easy way you have explained profound things. What is the way to immortality, the ultimate goal of life?Bhagavan: Very simple! Very easy! The only way to immortality is the removal of immorality. Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! How long does sensual pleasure last?

Bhagavan: Sensual pleasure is momentary and fleeting. It lands you in difficulties and makes you weak. Think well and understand clearly. You think that you are enjoying with your senses. Actually, it is not so. The senses are enjoying at your expense.

At your cost the senses are having a nice time. How? You become weak. You lose your strength. You turn old. If you are right in thinking that you enjoy with your senses, you should have been quite active and enthusiastic. But in reality it is not so. You are negatively affected due to sensual pleasures.. Therefore, know for sure that your senses enjoy you, making you sick, old and weak and not you enjoying with your senses.

Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! How are we to lead a detached life? We are hurt when our belongings, positions and wealth are withdrawn. Please tell us how not to be hurt though these are taken away from us.}Bhagavan: You should always keep in view the purpose and the aim of your life. You should never give up your duties and responsibilities. You see, today's newspaper is tomorrow's waste paper. Be assured that past life will never return. You should always keep in mind three important points.

Never feel that the world is permanent and that your relationships with all around you are lasting. No. The second point is that you should not forget God under any circumstances. The third aspect is to remember not to fear death.

A District Collector has all the comforts and conveniences such as a big bungalow with a spacious compound, furniture, peons, etc. He has a very big office and personnel to provide assistance, but when he retires, he has to leave them all, though he lived till then with them as their sole proprietor and owner. Does he cry on the day of his retirement? Does he feel that he has lost anything personal? Similarly, servant maids, who take care of children at the residences of rich men or high officials consider the children very close to them and even say ‘our boy’, 'our child' and so on.. But is it really so?Can they claim and own them at any point of time? Similarly, you see a cashier in the bank. He has with him lakhs and lakhs of rupees, which he disburses to different account holders according to the cheques presented. Does he feel sad at any time for parting with the

money? Not

even a single paisa belongs to him. The same is your relationship with the world you live in. Know the essence, saram, and lead this worldly life, samsaram. In fact, no one has anything to do with anything or anybody. You are alone at the time of both, your birth and death.. The rest that comes in between are like passing clouds.

"Would you settle down on a bridge you cross from one end to another!Would you like making a house, of a boat plying from bank to bank!Would you build a mansion right in the middle of a highway!"

So, one must leave to one's own self questions like: 'Who am I?’ 'Where do I come from?' 'Who is God'? 'What is the purpose of life?' Human life is gifted to you to find answers to these questions.For example: A villager goes to a nearby town on some business. As he could not complete his work, he has to stay in a lodge to rest. The proprietor of the hotel or lodge he chooses to stay in will naturally put some questions to him before letting out a room to him. He will ask the villager to register his name and address. He has to answer questions such as “Where do you come from? How long would you stay?"

You asked me how fear of death is to be overcome. The only solution is courage! You should understand that at some time or the other, death is inevitable. Realise that there are no exemptions. When you have the courage to realise this fully, fear of death ceases.

If the answers run like this, “I do not know where I come fromâ€, “I do not know how long I am going to be hereâ€, “I do not know when I would quit this roomâ€, or “I don't know where I shall go from here!" The proprietor will say, “No room for you. This lodge is not for mad fellows like you." Similar is your situation and position if you don't know where you come from, how long you stay here and where you go from here. Do your duty thinking of God. That is enough, then you will never suffer. Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! How are services rendered today helpful in future?

Bhagavan: I will give an example very well known to you. After your retirement, you are given a pension. Why? It is the payment for your long service in a profession. So also, God's grace is bestowed on you for your service in the past.Another example: If you fill the tank with water during the rainy season, you will have water supply in summer. Is it not so? Therefore, service of today will help you receive God's grace later, undoubtedly.Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Is there death? Are there a heaven and a hell? What is life?Bhagavan: There is no death. It is the body that dies. But atma, the indweller, is immortal. Atma is the eternal truth. Your happiness is indeed heaven.

Your misery is hell.

Both are here in this life. They are not separate entities apart from you.

The whole universe is a tree with branches, leaves, flowers and fruits. Man expects flowers and fruits and nurtures the tree by watering its roots. It is enough if you water the roots of a plant, in order to get the water circulated to different parts of the plant. Is it not so? Do you water the stem, branches and leaves separately? No, you don't. For this tree of the universe the branches are different countries and states; the leaves are desires; human beings are the flowers. The root is below and the fruit is on the top. The root is self- confidence while the fruit is self-realisation. The juice within the fruit is divinity. Today, there is no divinity but only community.Prof. Anil Kumar: Swami! Man's greatest fear is the fear of death. How is he to overcome this?

Bhagavan: Man is not dying of diseases. In fact, it is fear that makes for his death. Ninety eight percent of all deaths are to be traced to fear of death. Diseases are, for the most part, psychological in origin and impact. Check your pulse rate and blood pressure when you are excited, worried, or afraid; they rise much above the normal level. Thus, diseases are, to a large extent, rooted in your mental state.

Once, the deity of cholera came to a village. Seeing her, the village elder said, “Mother! I am terrified at the thought of the devastation soon to overtake our villages. I wonder how many of our people are going to die!" The deity replied, “My son! Not all will be harmed by me. There will be five deaths a day, that's all. You need not be that much alarmed.†But, many people were dying. The elder thought the deity might have lied to him. He turned to her and asked, “Mother, you are a deity. How is it then, that after saying one thing to me, contrary to that, you punish us?" The Cholera deity replied, "Son! I did not utter a falsehood. I took away only five each day. So, I am not responsible for the deaths of all the others. Those did not die of cholera; they died of fear, that's all. " You asked me how fear of death is to be overcome. The only solution is courage!

You should

understand that at some time or the other, death is inevitable. Realise that there are no exemptions. When you have the courage to realise this fully, fear of death ceases.

Dear Reader, did this article inspire you in any way? Would you like more of such conversations with the Divine? Please share with us your reflections by writing to h2h mentioning your name and country. Thank you for your time.

----------

Shirdi Baba's story...From debu7366

Mon, August 31, 2009 5:13:26 PM

Om Sai RamIf for some reason you are not able to see , download the below pictures or click to the below links- Plz go to http://debu7370. blogspot. com/ And if any of you or your friends would like to receive these message directly to their mailbox-- send me an email at debu7366 ------1 of the 3 portraits for which Shri Saibaba posed during his lifetime

in Shirdi for Shri Jaiker to paint in 1913

For more details , plz go to http://saiananta. com/index. html Articles given to Kakasaheb Dixit by Sai babaKakasaheb was extremely lucky to have spent time with Shri Sai and along with the highest form of blessings he received some articles, all of which except one are with the family.Kafni:

Baba had given one of his kafnis' to Kaka Saheb Dixit with instructions to wear it while performing the daily pooja. It some how disappeared from the Dixit Wada in 1946.

Silver Miniature Padukas:

Baba also gave him a miniature silver Padukas kept in a small silver dabbi. As per Baba instructions, Kaka used to always carry them in his pocket. The casket (dabbi) has Hanuman carving on the cover top.

Wooden Padukas:

Baba always used to say that one must follow all the rituals given in the Shashtas. Kaka Saheb wanted to keep Baba's paduka in his Dev Ghar. However as per the Shashtras' leather articles are not allowed in the pooja ghar ( prayer room.)Baba used to always wear leather Padukas (foot wear). Kaka therefore got one pair of padukas made of Shisham Wood and asked Baba to touch it and give him back with blessings. Baba did as per Kaka's wishes and this pair of blessed padukas is still with us.

Sai Baba's Portrait painted by the Famous Painter And Sai Devotee Late Shri Shyamrao Jaykar:

Sai Baba did not permit anyone to take his photographs. If anyone dared to do so without his permission the Frame would be either blank or without Baba. Saibaba on a rare occasion permitted Shri Shyamrao Jaykar (an eminent Painter of those times) to paint His Portrait.The Late Shri Shyamrao Jaykar normally used to paint portraits of royal family members and British Lords, and in 1913 Rao Bahadur Moreshwar W. Pradhan requested him to visit Shirdi for making Baba's portrait.Baba was not so famous at that time. Even Mr. Jaykar was unaware about the power of 'Fakir' and during his journey to Shirdi was thinking that the visit is going to be futile. Had been to some royal place, he would have earned a handsome

amount.After reaching Shirdi they went

to Dwarkamai for Baba's Darshan. The first sentence Baba uttered was why he was in Shirdi. He should have gone to some royal place and painted their portraits. What was the use of taking out a portrait of a humble fakir like him?However on Shyama's intervention Baba finally decided to sit in front of Jaykar and allowed him to paint three portraits one after other. After finishing his first portrait Shri Jaykar took it to Dwaraka Mai to show it to Baba, who asked him to present it to Kaka Saheb Dixit on Baba's behalf.This unique portrait of Sai Baba has been in our Pooja Room since 1913. It may be noted here that only Shri Jaykar got rare honor of painting three portraits of Sai Baba by making him sit in front of him. All other paintings have been made after Baba's samadhi, based on either these paintings or Baba's photographs of the painting.Shri Pradhan bought the remaining two paintings and they were lying with his family members in the

folded canvas form for a very long time. Amazingly, around 1970, Shri Pradhan's son and grandson, both, got the same dream in the same night. Baba appeared in their dream and instructed them to deliver the portraits to our house. And thus we got one more blessed portrait of Baba. Above is the picture of that potrait.

-----------------

Drawing from the Fountain of Infinite Bliss

- The golden memories of an alumna of Sri Sathya Sai University, Anantapur campus.

By Ms. Veenavardhan

If bliss is a happy memory that can be revisited in the deep recesses of the heart for repeated enjoyment, without diminishing its power in the least bit, I am blessed to have a vast reservoir at my disposal. Having been among the first batch of students (1970-73) to have graduated from the Anantapur campus of Sri Sathya Sai University, I am blessed to have plenty of blissful memories to fall back upon, and soak my soul in this warm spring of pure joy from which I draw my strength to face life and all that it throws at me.

Conquered by the Deluge of Pure Love

Divine Darshan in the yester years.... The Lord walks on the sands and drenches every soul with His sweet smiles

I hail from Cuddapah in Andhra Pradesh and currently I live in the city of Chennai in Tamil Nadu. When I studied for my Bachelors in Arts from what was then the Sri Sathya Sai Arts and Science College for Women at Anantapur, in Andhra Pradesh, I was among the very first batch of girls to reside in the newly constructed hostel building.

My parents wanted me to study at Bhagavan’s college since my elder sister V. Pullamma was a lecturer in the department of Economics at the college. Initially, I did not know much about Bhagavan. But as I experienced His parental love and care for each of us, His daughters, my love for Him and faith in His divinity grew on its own.

College Foundation Rests Solely on His Love & Sacrifice

It was His detailed attention towards our welfare that was impossible to miss. For instance, right into the program, Bhagavan realized the challenge that many of us faced coming from a non-English speaking background. He arranged extra coaching classes to help us cope with our studies.

Swami in the Anantapur campus of Sri Sathya Sai University

Like a concerned parent, He visited us almost every week, traveling the 120 kilometre distance to and fro, just to ensure that we were well looked after, happy, comfortable and at home in our new surroundings. What sacrifices He made for our welfare! His love was simply the sweetest experience of our lives. We fervently counted days until His next visit.

Open Communication with the Divine Parent

Bhagavan encouraged us to be forthcoming in expressing our problems to Him. He told us, “Do not fear the Principal or Warden. Tell Me your problems. Be bold, bangaru (bangaru means gold – a term of endearment in Telugu) about what you want, and ask Me. You all have left your parents and come here. It is My duty to take care of you.â€

So in all simplicity, we asked for fans to be installed, troubled as we were by the arid and hot weather of Anantapur. The very next day Bhagavan got fans fixed in our dining hall, making our meal times a lot more enjoyable. Like a doting mother, He sent pickles, sweets, fruits and such goodies for us. Bhagavan became our ever-smiling, ever-loving, ever-caring mother. So pure, gentle and sensitive was His love and concern for us that the progression of our bonding with the Divine Mother that we found in Sai was natural and unstoppable.

Bhagavan encouraged us to be forthcoming in expressing our problems to Him. He told us, “Do not fear the Principal or Warden. Tell Me your problems. Be bold, bangaru (bangaru means gold – a term of endearment in Telugu) about what you want, and ask Me. You all have left your parents and come here. It is My duty to take care of you.â€

During the times He came to visit, which was almost every week, often for overnight or a few days, He spend the mornings in meeting with the staff. We the students could not help ourselves from hovering in the corridors of the college building, waiting for the meetings to conclude. Then we could interact with the Lord who had now become the only goal of our lives.

Divine Draw Irresistible

Evenings with Bhagavan were the most memorable. We gathered around Him as iron fillings are drawn to a magnet. We were all one big happy family with our Divine parent, seated in the centre, ever willing to fulfill our childish fantasies. I remember how we used to ask Him to sing bhajans of our choice. He always obliged!

Ever so sweetly He belted out such numbers as were most popular with the students then:Chitta chora Yashoda ke baal, Natavaralal, Govinda Krishna Jai and Sathyam Jnanam Anantam Brahma ….

After the bhajan singing session, Bhagavan used to dine with us. He often enquired if we were getting the same quality of food always or if the good food was a special treat because He was visiting us? We just could not miss His parental concern and love for us. The cup of our joy overflowed too many times over and our Sweet Sai became to us our divine mother, father, friend and guide, all rolled into one. The experience was just heavenly.

“you must learn to conduct yourselves well in the world after you leave the portals of the college.â€

Cosmic Comedian, Playful Teacher

At times, He made us laugh our heads off with His great sense of humour. His divine comedy shows included the time He insisted that a young lecturer, who had just got married, tell Him the name of her husband. As it is not considered proper etiquette for a wife to utter the name of her husband in some traditions, she simply blushed and lowered her head. Bhagavan then mischievously coaxed her, “I am asking you. Won’t you tell Me?†At last, she relented to His pressure tactics and told Him the name of her husband ever so softly. Immediately the playful Swami teased her, “Dunnapota, (or buffalo – another term of endearment in Telugu) can any lady mention her husband’s name?†We all laughed merrily at her discomfort as Bhagavan

pulled off the

trick so sweetly.

Homemaking - the Highest Spiritual Discipline

Ever the teacher, in His light and serious moments, He taught us life lessons that have stood the test of time through the four decades since. He told us repeatedly that “you must learn to conduct yourselves well in the world after you leave the portals of the college.†Emphasizing the vital role that women play as the thermostats of the spiritual and moral climate of their homes, He urged us to strive to be good homemakers first, and to bring a good name to our parents, in-laws and college, before venturing into other ambitions. First things first, He reminded us, because, when all is well on the home front, life will flow and expand with greater ease beyond the home as well.. He knew that by educating girls, He was educating the entire family on how to live a values-based life.

Bhagavan taught us to integrate spirituality into our practical lives as homemakers, telling us never to undermine the significance of this role. He explained it by giving us easy-to-relate-to examples on how one can actually follow the paths of action, devotion and knowledge, all at once as homemakers..

He said the path of gyana or knowledge came into play in the very act of cooking a wholesome meal for the family, as one had to know which ingredients and in what quantity to use for making the food healthy and tasty. If knowledge of balanced culinary skills was indicative of the Gyana Marga (path of wisdom), then the very act of preparing for the meal, and cooking it was Karma Marga or the path of action. Finally, the path of devotion or Bhakthi Marga is easy to follow through if one thinks of God while cooking, and offers the food to God as prasadam or consecrated food for the family members that consume it, seeing them as the incarnations of the same divinity. Then to serve it, one must be loving and ever smiling, happy to have the privilege to be doing so.

When undertaken in such a spirit, the seemingly simple act of cooking and serving a meal becomes the highest spiritual discipline. Swami explained how the role of a homemaker offers great chances for spiritual growth. He also told us that a good homemaker fosters devotion by organizing devotional and service activities.

Surprise Visit, Fresh Apple - Did I Dream it Up?

Personally for me, the most memorable experience of my student days goes back to the time when one day I had to wrap my head around an unexpected Political Science test for which I was totally unprepared. So for some last minute cramming, I retreated to the quiet college building early one morning. It was a Thursday, and I was wearing a white saree as we all dressed in white on that day of the week. Stressed and panic stricken, I was engrossed in serious studying when I suddenly heard a soft, sweet voice saying “Virisina mallepoovu†which means “Blossoming Jasmineâ€.

And lo and behold it was Him! Bhagavan had arrived in the college just then, totally unannounced and was standing right next to me, just as it typically happens in one’s dream! If that wasn’t enough, He then proceeded to materialize a delicious apple and gave it to me. My joy knew no bounds. Even today, when I think of that moment, I find myself lost in bliss. Sometimes I wonder if it really happened! I later ate the apple and shared it with everyone else. Then Bhagavan advised me to go and inform the Principal and the Warden that Bhagavan had arrived in the college.

Now you know what I mean by this reservoir of bliss that I dip into every now and then to refresh my soul.

Coming Home to Prashanthi Nilayam

If His love and caring for us made Anantapur our home away from home, then Prashanthi Nilayam was definitely our second home to which He invited us for all the major festivals. We had many chances to participate in the various service activities as Bhagavan constantly told us to open our hearts and broaden our minds by performing acts of selfless service. We worked in the canteen joyfully and to endorse our efforts towards self growth, our divine Sai treated us to sweets, ice creams and fruits.

We celebrated His birthday with great joy. Those images are etched in our hearts of Him coming in a procession early in the morning along with the chosen mother Eswaraamma. The blessed mother and senior ladies applied the ceremonial oil on Bhagavan’s hair.

I remember He used to wear yellow in the morning and a white robe in the evening, as He sat on a swing while playback singer and devotee Mrs. P. Susheela rendered devotional songs. Those days of the birthday celebrations felt so heavenly that we didn’t realize how time flew by and we used to return to Anantapur with a heavy heart.

Life Deals a Different Hand at Each Turn

While I enjoyed such close contact with the divine Lord Sai during my student days, life dealt me a different hand afterwards. Later, for a period of 20 years, I could not come back to my home, my Prashanthi Nilayam! I did have an occasional darshan of Baba at Bengaluru or Chennai but not much else. Then one night I dreamt that He came to my house. I was confused as to how I should receive Him. He said to me: “You need not do anything. Take padanamaskar (salutations at the feet). You have got higher sense.â€

After this dream, I have always felt Bhagavan’s guidance in overcoming the problems of my life. And these solutions come through different channels; it can be intuition, books, timely advice through elders and so on.

No Season, Reason or Location for His Love

Six years into my marriage, Swami finally blessed me with the experience of motherhood. Once it so happened that I was at a function at the factory where my husband worked at that time. I prayed to Bhagavan to bless my child. Just then a roll of paper fell from the sky and landed next to me.. After a moment’s hesitation, I picked and unrolled it. I was astonished to find a 10 by 10 inch picture of Bhagavan lighting a lamp. I cried with joy. His blessings in the most unexpected of locations lit my child’s life. To this day I treasure that precious picture.

After many years, I took the leap of faith and decided to continue my education. I wanted to get a Bachelors in Education degree. As I anxiously awaited my results, my son brought me a picture from his friend’s mother. It was of our dearest Bhagavan with the words “Why Fear When I Am Hereâ€. I felt a resurgence of confidence and calm.

Once when my husband was sent on a military mission to the troubled state of Jammu & Kashmir, I was very worried, since I was unable to contact him for many days due to stormy weather. I prayed hard and heard Bhagavan’s voice assuring me “You are going to get a call, don’t worry.†Within a few seconds, the telephone rang and sure enough it was my husband on the line. All was well with Bhagavan’s grace and compassion.

Today, after a gap of 20 long years, finally, it looks like He has tested me enough. Now, for the past 12 years, Bhagavan has given me the opportunity of visiting and serving in His divine abode Prashanthi Nilayam.

Additionally, I feel so blessed to serve as His instrument as I assist the visually impaired by being their reader and scribe. It is as though my tender-hearted parent is making up for the two-decade long exam He put me through. I pray that this shower of His love and presence in my life continues forever.

When I try to say it all, I realize how inadequate words are as a medium to express my deep and loving gratitude to Bhagavan for His presence in my life. I shudder to think what and where would I be without Him! In being His daughter I draw my sense of self-worth and that is all that matters to me.

Healed Inside and Out

A deadly brain tumour struck a young sales man from small-town India, threatening to shatter his life and dreams. This cruel and sudden blow of fate shocked his entire family, including his young wife and baby boy.

As Bhupendra faced the darkness of a severe economic crunch and lack of access to a specialized healthcare facility, a dazzling light appeared at the end of his tunnel, brightening more than just his prospects of a healthy, normal life. His tryst with the Sai healthcare system healed him and his family at multiple levels.

In this Healing Touch story, Sonia Thakar walks us through a family’s journey from despair and darkness to hope, health and faith.

“Twenty years ago I took my mother to Bombay (now Mumbai) for treatment. Three months later I returned home with her dead body. This time around, when I came to the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences (SSSIHMS), Bangalore to look after my sick brother, I feared I would be returning home with his lifeless body,†says Mr. Nagendra Sarathe, with tears in his eyes. The patient, Bhupendra, chides his brother for this unnecessary display of emotion and smiles at us.

Two months prior to that day Bhupendra had never even heard the term ‘brain tumour’. Today, he has not only experienced what it is to have one, but also is well on his way to recovery after surgery and most amazingly, he’s even thankful to God for having given him that condition, and because of it, a life-altering experience!

It’s been eight weeks since Bhupendra last saw his son’s cherubic little face. He has almost forgotten the face of his 9-month old baby boy. But he has no regrets.

“When I saw the hospital building from the outside, I thought that we had been brought to the wrong place. It didn’t look scary or like any other hospital I had ever seen. It was a holy temple and my yatra (pilgrimage) had just begun,†says Bhupendra, recountingthose days with happiness.

Deadly Disease Strikes Like a Bolt from the Blue

Thirty three-year old Bhupendra Kumar Sarathe lives in the small village of Naisari near Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, in Central India. He works as a sales officer with a beverage giant. One night he got up at 1.30 a.m. to visit the toilet. Later, try as he might, he couldn’t go back to sleep.. He walked around his small house, mulling over work-related issues and finally returned to his bedroom and switched on the television. The rest is a blank in his memory. His wife later told him that suddenly he gave out a loud cry and fell into convulsions. Terrified, she ran to get the landlord who rushed him to a nearby hospital.

Weighing Life, Money and Risk Factors

The CT scan showed Bhupendra had a meningioma on the skull base – in other words, a brain tumour. It was the first time Bhupendra heard the term. But strangely enough, it didn’t freak him out. Well, at least, at first. The gravity of his condition hit home, only when his colleagues from work came visiting the next day with scared faces which seemed to say, “O god! We are so sorry. This is probably the last time we are seeing you aliveâ€.

“The doctor said that I needed an operation. But there was no way we could afford the Rs. 75,000 ($15,00) that it would cost on my five thousand a month income. There was a lot of risk involved – he said I could lose my sight, my memory or even my life. It was then that the seriousness of this ‘brain tumour’ hit me hard,†recalls Bhupendra.

Wife’s Uncle Points to the Temple of Healing sans Expenditure

It was at this low moment that Bhupendra’s father-in-law’s brother told them about a hospital in Bangalore that wouldn’t charge them a rupee for the surgery. The mere mention of this hospital was indeed a ray of hope for the distraught family and they booked their train tickets.

“When I saw the hospital building from the outside, I thought that we had been brought to the wrong place. It didn’t look scary or like any other hospital I had ever seen. It was a holy temple and my yatra (pilgrimage) had just begun,†says Bhupendra, recounting those days with happiness.

It was a Friday morning when the family reached SSSIHMS, Bangalore. After the initial screening process, they were told that they would have to wait until Monday for further tests as it was a long weekend due to a festive holiday. “I suggested we go to Puttaparthi and see this Sai Baba in whose free hospital we had put all our faith in,†recalls Bhupendra. “As I sat in the darshan line and Baba came in His chair, I felt as though He was looking straight at me. I was way back in the crowd, but His eyes just seemed to pierce right through me.â€

Power of Darshan Confers Unshakable Faith, Divine Magic Begins

At that moment, something changed. Actually, everything changed. Bhupendra’s anxiety, pain and worry - all evaporated. It was as if a burden had been lifted.

“At that instant, the realisation dawned on me - the tumour was simply an excuse to bring me and my family to Sai Ram’s fold,†says Bhupendra, his heart full with his new-found love.

The next 11 days at the hospital passed as if in a dream. Bhupendra didn’t bat an eyelid when the doctor told him that his tumour was big and the operation might be a complicated one. Dr. Ganesh Murthy was the consultant who saw him. He says, “The surgery was complicated because the tumour was very close to the optic nerve that supplies the eyes. It was also a very vascular tumour, so the chances of excessive bleeding were more. When I told the patient about the risks involved it didn’t do anything to shake his confidence, though his relatives were worried about how the operation would go.â€

Positive Attitude Speeds Recuperation

Bhupendra wasn’t afraid when they wheeled him into the Operation Theatre. He took Swami’s name and prayed to His picture in the ward before he was taken to the OT. When he regained consciousness he felt as if Baba Himself had performed his operation. Two days after the operation, he had recovered so well that he felt as if some magic was at play. “Baba has truly given me a second-life. This hospital is like a mandir (temple). Sitting here and singing bhajans, I am transported to Puttaparthi. This place has sanctified me,†says a grateful Bhupendra, “Even the noise from the MRI machine seems to say Sairam! Sairam!â€

“Unlike other patients Bhupendra’s attitude was unique. It is very rare for us to come across patients being grateful to God for their illness. He beamed as he told us that this tumour had brought him to Swami. He seemed to have transcended into a state of spiritual awareness ever since he experienced Swami’s divine darshan at Puttaparthi. Post-operatively he did not experience any pain and could not stop talking about his elation and overwhelming awe of constantly experiencing Swami’s omnipresence.â€

Gita Umesh is the Senior Counsellor at SSSIHMS, Bangalore, who counselled Bhupendra as part of the post-operative care that the hospital offers. She says, “Unlike other patients Bhupendra’s attitude was unique. It is very rare for us to come across patients being grateful to God for their illness. He beamed as he told us that this tumour had brought him to Swami. He seemed to have transcended into a state of spiritual awareness ever since he experienced Swami’s divine darshan at Puttaparthi. Post-operatively he did not experience any pain and could not stop talking about his elation and overwhelming awe of constantly experiencing Swami’s omnipresence.â€

Mrs. Gita Umesh, Senior Counsellor in Swami's Hospital in action. Her team counsels dozens of patients everyday

Extended Family Rejoices at Marvellous Recovery

The only worry Bhupendra has now is to go home and be able to support his family. The doctors have advised him against driving for the next one year, and that means he will be unable to continue with his sales job. But his faith in Swami has diluted his fears for the future, and he knows that his supporting family is there for him.

His brother Nagendra says, “We’ve promised to buy him a new bike next year when he can drive again!â€

It may have been a traumatic period for the Sarathe family but today, not only have they gotten through it, they have also come to realize that the brain tumour was a blessing in disguise. They are even able to joke about it. “I always liked Shirdi Sai Baba. Now look at me! I look like him!†jokes Bhupendra with his bandage wrapped around his head like Shirdi Baba’s head scarf.

Illness Paved Way for Spiritual Awakening

Bhupendra is determined to give back to society what he received from this sacred hospital. He wants to reach out to others who need medical help back home. Through the SSSIHMS counselling department he got in touch with a doctor from Bhopal who is involved in service activities such as medical camps within the Sai Organisation of Madhya Pradesh, and plans to join him eagerly at the earliest.

Alongside Bhupendra’s post-operative recovery, the entire Sarathe family has had a change of heart. As Bhupendra heals from the scars of the complicated surgery that saved his life, his entire extended family has had an inner healing and a spiritual awakening.

So deeply touched are they by the top quality treatment met out to Bhupendra in the hospital where the only currency ever traded is pure love, that the whole family wants to take part in the Sai mission in whatever small way they can. Bhupendra’s father has vowed that the family will make a ‘paadyatra’ (pilgrimage on foot) to Puttaparthi – walking barefoot a distanceof about 1300 kilometres from Bhopal to have darshan of the Lord who saved the life oftheir precious son. He also plans to build a temple for Sai Baba in their village. That is the leastthat a grateful father can do, he feels.

“Sai Baba is Shiva Shankar!†- Nagendra

Bhupendra’s eldest brother, Nagendra who took care of him after the operation, has also had all his initial doubts dissolved by now. When he first came to the hospital from his native Madhya Pradesh to look after his brother, he prayed to Bhagavan Bholenath or Lord Shiva for a sign – and in response to his yearning, he saw a snake (an auspicious sign associated with Lord Shiva) and his anxiety quelled.But when the doctors told them about the risks involved in the operation, fear set in again and he was convinced that he would lose a brother, just as he had lost his mother twenty years ago. “I cried in front of Swami’s picture that He should save my brother. The day before the operation, I asked Him to show me a sign… and another snake crossed my path. I knew that my beloved Bholenath was indeed Sai Baba and Sai Baba was none

other than

my beloved Shiva Shankar!â€

Today, as the patient and his family experience healing at multiple levels, Bhupendra is determined to give back to society what he received from this sacred hospital. He wants to reach out to others who need medical help back home. Through the SSSIHMS counselling department he got in touch with a doctor from Bhopal who is involved in service activities such as medical camps within the Sai Organisation of Madhya Pradesh, and plans to join him eagerly at the earliest.As he prepares to return to his family, to hold his little son and enjoy a new lease of life gifted to him by the Sai healthcare system, he is brimming with enthusiasm to touch lives the way his has been touched - so deeply.

- Heart2Heart Teamin association with SSSIHMS

------------------------------

Sunday Special

Posted at 09:30:34 Hrs. IST on 06 Dec 2009

Ms. Sharon Sandweiss was blessed to have an opportunity to speak in the Divine Presence on the occasion of Ladies’ Day 2009. In a gesture that is normal for any speaker, Sharon, upon coming to the podium, went upto Bhagawan seeking Divine blessings and in that moment of bliss missed out offering the Rose that was meant for Bhagawan. After reaching the mike, upon realizing her “follyâ€, she rushed back to Bhagawan with an apologetic smile, presenting the rose and what followed was a stream of unsullied love for the Divine.

She spoke about Him and His Love sharing glimpses from His conversations with the Sandweiss family in some of the interviews.

With deep humility and love I offer pranams at the holy feet of our beloved Sai Baba.

Respected elders, brothers and sisters, and dear students,

I am honored and deeply humbled to stand before you today. I offer my heartfelt gratitude to Sai Baba for His loving compassion.

Thank You, Baba, for Your love. Thank You for this festive, sacred, and meaningful day when we celebrate the sanctity of motherhood and the courage, compassion and amazing capabilities of women.

I PRAY THAT YOUR DIVINE LOVE COMES THROUGH MY WORDS.

Recently, my husband and I tried to express our gratitude. “Baba, You are always serving others. How can we help You?†Baba smiled and said, “I don’t need your help. You help your husband, and he helps you. You’re one. AND I HELP EVERYONE.†“But Baba,†we cried. “We love You so much!†Baba responded, “And I love you more!â€

How can one understand this Divine Love?

This DIVINE LOVE is irresistible. It has brought us here from nearly every country and religion in the world. We all love our country, our sacred books, our family customs and special spices. Yet, we hunger for the same thing: We all want peace. We all want to love and be loved.

Once, my husband and I shared an interview with a large group. Baba started asking, “Where are you from?†The answer, “Russia.†He went around the room, asking everyone. Then He playfully asked me, “Are you from Russia too?†I answered, “No Babaâ€--but then I remembered, “Oh—But my grandparents were from Russia.†Baba smiled lovingly, and said, “See the Connection. ALL are connected. All are One.â€

At first Glance, Russia and America seem very distant. Yet, the distance shrinks when compared to the vastness of space. We all inhabit MOTHER EARTH. We share the mighty mountains and great oceans. We are responsible to each other. When a factory belches toxic air, we all suffer everywhere. But when we offer love and work for the good of all in ONE UNITED VOICE, we can hear the UNIVERSE rejoice!

Thirty-seven years ago I was like many others. I worried about life and I worried about death, I worried about our children, and I worried about our pets. I smiled on the outside; but inside I was a sad and fearful soul facing a universe that seemed meaningless.

Fortunately, I married Samuel, who was constantly searching for meaning. In 1972 Sam went to India in search of God, and returned a month later transformed. He exclaimed, “God is on earth in the form of Sai Baba, You are God, I am God. Everything is God! Now our lives will change forever.†What was he talking about? Who was Sai Baba? What would happen to us? I was confused and scared.

WE have to remember that this was in 1972, in the ‘Dark Ages’ before the internet. Today we click a button and instantly connect with our wonderful Radio Sai to hear Baba’s words. But in 1972, it wasn’t easy to find information about Sai Baba, especially in the West.

I watched Samuel closely after that first trip. He was truly transformed--Happier, Calmer, more Peaceful, more Patient, and best of all, he became more Loving!! (Of course, he was always a loving person. He just became MORE loving.)

I was amazed. Can a person change so quickly? I, too, wanted peace. I, too, wanted faith! Within a few months I was on a plane to India with my husband. Baba had spared me a life of despair. He has brought Sanctity and Joy to our family life.

Sai Baba is a living presence in our life. He knows and loves each one of us. He lives in our heart as love, and love is all that’s lasting!

My husband and I were thrilled to tell our daughters—you’re not just the body. —You’re Divinity Itself. You’re pure love. Be Bold, Brave- like lions-and Unafraid, Follow your Conscience, think Sacred Thoughts, do Good Deeds, seek Good Company; You may stumble & fall, but problems are your teacher. Your loving Sai is by your side. Speak to Him—He’s in your heart as love!

Telling our children is not enough; they’re quick to see hypocrisy! We must become the example and show unity in thought, word, and deed. How can we tell our children to speak sweetly, if we’re shouting at our spouse? We must practice and refine, until we sparkle and shine. Following is a brief example of this truth.

When my husband returned from India, he immediately became a vegetarian!! This was unusual in America, where people think a meal without meat is incomplete! At first I was offended —he was refusing my cooking. But within a month or two, I suddenly realized that I was eating an animal, and I immediately became a vegetarian!

But how could we force our 4 young daughters to make such a radical change? Baba says that He is the Source, not the Force.. So we told the girls that we would no longer have meat in the house, but that they could eat it outside the home.

But one day our twin daughters, who were about 7 years old, said to us, “Mommy—Daddy--we love animals too much. We don’t want to EAT them!†Their younger sisters chimed in “We too—we don’t want to eat animals either!!â€Imagine-7 years old, and they had the PURITY to know that all life is sacred.

THIS small example illustrates several points: First, when we become the example, others will follow. Secondly, WE ALL hold the TRUTH within us, and it is our duty as parents and teachers to help children manifest this TRUTH.The third point is that secular life is not separate from spiritual life. When all acts are infused with love, EVERYTHING becomes sacred, including eating habits.

We worry about the State of the World. We want our children to be safe and happy, yet we see greed and disharmony everywhere. YEARS AGO, we brought our concerns to Sai Baba: “Baba, The world is in trouble.â€

Baba responded, “NO, THE WORLD IS GOOD; THE MIND OF MAN IS THE PROBLEM.â€

“Baba, What should we do about schools?†Baba answered, “The schools are the same. You must speak with your children; find out what they’re thinking. You don’t always know what is on their mind.â€

Baba was reminding us of importance of good communication, respectful communication. Baba says, “First listen, try to understand, then adjust, or compromise, so as to achieve UNITY.â€

As Baba spoke, I had a sudden thought--Where would the world be without the presence of God…

Baba interrupted my thought, and in a strong and serious voice, He said, ‘YES, IF IT WERE NOT FOR ME, EVERYTHING WOULD BE LOST!â€

My husband and I shuddered at the urgency in His words—

GOD HIMSELF HAS COME TO SAVE US FROM OURSELVES!

Many years I asked Baba, “Can we do more?â€

He responded, “Yes, I will give you the POWER, the STRENGTH, and the BLESSINGS to do more.â€

He later said, “HOME AND FAMILY.â€

Today, on Ladies’ Day, we affirm that family life is the foundation of life! When there is HARMONY, PEACE, and MUTUAL LOVE in our Family, God is present and the world is HAPPY!

We are ALL members of one Family— OUR ONE DIVINE FAMILY

When we serve our family with love, we SANCTIFY our lives.

When we uphold Justice, we JUSTIFY our lives

When we support the suffering women in the world, we DIGNIFY our lives. When we preserve Mother Earth, we PURIFY our lives

And when we offer all to God, we GLORIFY our lives. TODAY is a happy day. TODAY we are DANCING IN ECSTASY PRAISING GODâ€S GLORY

TODAY we pray together, “BABA-KEEP US CLOSE. DON’T EVER LET US GO!

Grant us the POWER, the STRENGTH, and the BLESSINGS to earn your grace, and become Your Bliss.â€

WE LOVE YOU.

Thank you, and Sai Ram.--------------------

swami in white robe

Wed, December 23, 2009 4:37:49 PM

:

View Contact

Sri Indulal Shah, formerly the Chairman of the International Sathya Sai Organization, recounts his experiences with Bhagawan in his book “Sixteen Spiritual Summersâ€. Such is the beauty of the relationship between the Peerless Master and His Excemplary Devotee that one finds drops of Immortality dripping from his accounts of Bhagawan’s Omnipotence. Read on for an extract from Sixteen Spiritual Summers...

...an Avatar stands unique in the spiritual domain in His ability to command and control the 5 elements constituting ‘Prakriti’. During my first darshan of Bhagawan in Bangalore, I had seen Bhagawan warding off impending rain by dispersing thick, dark clouds merely by raising His hand, but this appeared then only as a spectacle of wonder as I had, till then, not pondered over the unique attributes that an Avatar had as distinct from a Sidha Purusha. If I had probed into it then itself, that phenomenon would have instantly revealed to me Baba’s Avatarhood. Be that as it may, I was soon to witness another astonishing event.

This time it was in Dharmakshetra in Bombay. The month was July, the monsoon time in Bombay, and Baba was paying a visit to Maharashtra State. The Bombay samiti had arranged a public meeting of devotees in honour of Baba at Dharmakshetra. I remember vividly that it was a Sunday evening. In Bombay, in the month of July, a heavy downpour could be expected at any time. That being a Sunday, a large crowd was expected to attend, regardless of the probability of rain. The samiti had taken all precautions to provide shelter to the devotees from the showers. The large pandal at Dharmakshetra was packed with people to the full. The meeting was to commence at 6.00 pm. But at about 5.15 pm, the sky was overcast and we feared that the rains would lash out any time. We all were anxious to save the devotees from getting drenched in heavy rains. Some of the office bearers felt that we should request Bhagawan Baba to start the

meeting early, say at 5.30 pm. I felt that Baba might not accede to this as there was ‘Rahu Kal’ upto 6.00 pm, but my colleagues insisted that there was nothing like ‘Rahu Kal’ for Bhagawan and that we should try our luck with Him. Accordingly, I went up to Bhagawan and prayed “Baba, could we start the meeting a little early?†“Why?†asked Baba in a tone, which was an answer to the question.

But we did not understand that then, as our mind was also clouded like the overcast sky that evening. I pleaded: ‘Bhagawan, it is likely to rain, the meeting may be disrupted, the devotees may suffer’. In answer to this, Baba smiled and that benign smile remains imprinted in my mind even to this day – as bewitching as the smile that we see in the picture of Lord Krishna. He then held my hand and took me to the nearby window where I saw that drizzling had already started. Those who have seen Dharmakshetra know that Bhagawan lives in a lotus shaped mandir on top of a hillock and that the windows from His room open out westward. So, we could see through them, the entire crowd gathered below and the dark expanse of the cloudy sky above. Standing near the window, Baba said : “Yes, yes, it will rain, and it will rain very heavily.†This statement put me out completely.

I could see from the window devotees holding open umbrellas in an effort to protect themselves from the impending showers. I was searching for words for praying to Baba. Meanwhile, Bhagawan raised His hand through the window and, in a moment, we saw the drizzle stopped and clouds dispersed in the sky. In that moment of anxiety, what Baba did then bore no impact on me. Baba said that the meeting should commence as scheduled at 6 o’ clock and I rushed out to convey Baba’s decision to my colleagues outside.

The meeting started at 6 and, by then, the sky had brightened enough to dispel all our fears about the rains. It was during the meeting that I realized that a great blunder I had made in praying to Baba to commence the proceedings a little early. Evidently, during those few minutes, I had forgotten that Baba is God and that He had command over ‘Prakriti’. When the meeting concluded and my colleagues were saying happily that the meeting went off very well, I shed some tears of joy and rushed to see Baba and fell at His Lotus Feet. Baba, then, smiled and said: ‘You forgot’. When the heart is full, words are few. I had no words to convey my gratitude. I was in an ecstatic thrill. That was an unforgettable moment and I cherish the thought that it was Bhagawan Himself who reminded me that I had forgotten that He is God. This incident is a conclusive proof that Baba is omnipresent, that He can control nature

and

that He is an Avatar, God come in human form to bless all mankind.

16 Spirtual Showers

--------------------------------

‘DRAWING’ GOD…

This happened in the time of Lord Krishna. There once lived an artist who had traveled far and wide and had built for himself an extensive reputation. But even as he climbed the edifice of fame and renown, achieving success and impressing one and all with his art, he still hadn’t achieved access to Lord Krishna! As much as he was anxious to seek approbation from Lord Krishna Himself, who not only ruled everyone’s heart but was also the greatest connoisseur of art, success in this endeavour kept eluding him. But one day, after relentlessly trying to meet Krishna, he got an appointment. The artist met Krishna and requested Him to stay still, so that he could paint His picture. On getting Krishna’s consent, the artist first prepared the outline and told Krishna that he would ready the final painting in a week’s time.

You cannot describe God and your attempts will fail. But when you make your mind clear and clean; fill it with love and devotion; the very same love and devotion will enable you to have the true vision of God.

The all-knowing Krishna also knew about the ego of the painter, but did not say anything then.. After a week, the painter brought a finished portrait, covered with a white cloth. And when he uncovered the painting in Krishna’s presence the painter himself was shocked at the lack of similarity between the real Krishna and Krishna he had painted! Completely taken aback by this, the painter asked for another week’s time to get the job done. This went for many such weeks, but each time he failed to capture Krishna in his paintings. In complete frustration and total dejection, he decided to leave the city and go away. But the Lord had other plans. When he was going away, Sage Narada met him.

Well aware of the painter’s plight, Narada confided to him that it was silly to attempt to paint the picture of Lord Krishna, for the Lord has no fixed form and can change His face every second!

Narada then advised, “If you really want to paint Him, I will tell you a method which will enable you to do so.†Saying so, Narada whispered something into the ear of the artist. Following the advice given by Narada, the painter returned yet again to Krishna with a white cloth covering something. But this time, enriched by the wisdom Narada had imparted, the painter told Krishna that even as He was welcome to change the painting in any manner whatsoever, the painting would look exactly like him. Saying so, the artist removed the cloth, laying bare the mirror the cloth had till then hidden. The mirror reproduced an exact replica of Krishna. If therefore, you are imaging that God would be like this or that, it is not correct. You cannot describe God and your attempts will fail. But when you make

your mind clear and clean; fill it with love and devotion; the very same

love and devotion will enable you to have the true vision of God. ~ Baba

Illustrations: Mrs. Vidya, Kuwait---------------------

KOBE CENTERS PROGRAM SCHEDULE

Place : l.S.S. 2nd Fl. 1-3, Kumochi 5-chome, Chuo-ku, Kobe (Tel: 078-222-1885) Home Page MAP

Bhajans

Bhajan Practice

Study Circle

every Sun 4:00-5:00pmevery Thur 7:30-830pm

1st,5th Sun 2:00-3:40pm 2nd Sun 2:00-3:20pm3rd,4th Sun 2:30-3:40pm every Thur 7:00-7:20pm

2nd Sun 5:30-6:30pm (English)4th Sun 5:30-6:30 (Japanese) 2nd Sun 3:40-3:55 (Gayatri Chanting)

Ladies Programme

3rd,5th Sun 5:30-6:30pm

Youth Programme

3rd Sun 0:30-2:20pm 2nd Sun in odd months 5:30-6:15pm(Study Circle)1st Sun in even months 0:30-1:50

Seva

Aisei-en (Orphanage home): 3rd Sun 9:30-11:30amNarayana Seva: 2nd,4th Sun 10:00-11:30am, 1st, 3rd Thur 9:00-10:00pm

Veda Club

Veda clup is held on every 4th Sunday after Bhajans.

Study Circle in (Japanese) is held on every 2nd Sunday on 1st fl.

Subscribe/Un information: (Free copy)

To , please send your request to rgcjp

To , please type “REMOVE†on the subject line and send to rgcjp

-------- SAI CENTERS: KOBE, YOKOHAMA, OSAKA, SAPPORO

OKINAWA, CHIBA, NAGOYA, TOKYO & KYOTO AND

SAITAMA

SAI BHAJAN GROUPS.: OBIHIRO, , SHIZUOKA, KITAKYUSHU, MORIOKA TAMA, NARA, FUKUOKA, TOHOKU, NAGANO,HAMAMATSU , HIROSHIMA-IWAKUNI,

KAGOSHIMA, GUNMA, KANAZAWA, KAGAWA.AND

KAWASAKI.

Note: Some schedules are subject to change.

Please contact respective centers and groups for information.

......................................................................................................

1.Swami's Message

2.The Epic of Mahabaratha...Prof G.V

3. Divine story of Shirdi Sai Parthi Sai -Part 6

4.Conversation with Sai Prof A.K Part-22

5.Shirdi Baba & devotees Experoence

6.Drawing from the fountain of infinate Bliss

7.Healed inside Brain Tumer

8.Ms Sharan Sandweiss

9.16 Spiritual Showers by Sri Indulal Shah

10.Chinna Katha By Bhagavan Baba

----- Sai Ram

My dear your messages are beautiful and K.L

Truthful and cool to understand more clearly

you delighted Baba. Please enjoy

Love & Light

Viva

-----------------

Sai Ram

Hello Ramchand

Light of cool night is beautiful and your many messages

in K.L

I will be more likely to see your mail and future messages.

Sai Ram

Shankaran

Hello Ramchand

Thank you for your various mails including K.L and also

cool night articles. I will be happy to see your all mails and

future messages.

Beegee

Sai Ram

Dear Ram

Many thanks for your various mails. Swami bless you and

family.

Regards to all at Kobe

Sailesh

Sai Ram

I have been getting your "Kansai Light" regularly and thanks for

Sharing.

Vasu

Please write us at rgcjp mentioing your name and country.

Thank you for your time

Sai Ram

----------------------

Ram ChuganiKobe, Japan

New Email names for you!

Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and @rocketmail.

Hurry before someone else does!