IndiaDivine.org

The Minestrone Recipe... at long last

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I cannot wait to make this!

As soon as the weather gets a bit more cool this one is on my stove!

thanks!

Chanda

-

Cathrine Qua

undisclosed-recipients:

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:22 PM

Well, as promised, here is my own minestrone recipe. It's developed over time, and I'm known for it (to the point that my husband's co-workers actually steal his lunch sometimes! Seriously.) Part One: The Garlic Broth (while I think some recipes can easily be made with canned or tetra packed broth, and this can, too, I'm really not a fan of those dried cubes of boullion, and I love the stocks in Moosewood's Daily Special Cookbook, of which this is a very slightly modified one.)3 whole heads of garlic10 cups of water2 or 3 bay leaves8 whole black peppercorns, or a tablespoon of mixed peppercorns 1/2 teaspoon salt2 potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and coarsely chopped3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped3 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 4 fresh thyme sprigsRemove the papery skins from the garlic heads and break them into cloves. While Moosewood says you don't need to peel them, I do, and then I whack them with the broad side of a wide knife. Combine everything in a large pot and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for an hour. Strain the stock and use right away, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to four days, or freeze up to six months.Part Two: The Soup2 tbsp vegetable, sunflower, canola or olive oil2 medium-large onions, chopped4 carrots, chopped3 bell peppers, red, greed, yellow, orange, chopped3 small zucchinis, chopped6 - 8 garlic cloves, crushed3 tbsp each of basil and oregano, driedA pinch of dried chili flakes 2 - 28 oz cans of diced tomatoesThe broth1-2 cans kidney or garbanzo beans (or other bean, your choice, or two cans... again, your choice)1 1/2 - 2 cups pasta (short, chunky pasta is good)salt & fresh ground pepper, to tasteSautee onions in oil, until they are starting to soften. Add carrots, peppers, zucchini, garlic, basil, oregano, chili flakes, and turn down to medium-low and cover, stirring frequently, until the veggies start to soften a bit. Add diced tomatoes and broth, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook for 45 minutes or so. Add drained and rinsed beans. Add pasta, remove from burner, and let sit for around 20 minutes. Cool immediately or pasta will start to break down and fall apart.I usually use some frozen cauliflower florets, or green beans, and sometimes some mushrooms... but I find that I get carried away and end up with minestrone stew!!! (And I forgot this time around!) I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms in this, while I do like mushrooms, I'm not sure I like their consistency after cooked in soup - although my husband loves them in it.Anyway... enjoy!!Cathrine

Well, as promised, here is my own minestrone recipe. It's developed

over time, and I'm known for it (to the point that my husband's

co-workers actually steal his lunch sometimes! Seriously.)

Part One: The Garlic Broth (while I think some recipes can easily be

made with canned or tetra packed broth, and this can, too, I'm really

not a fan of those dried cubes of boullion, and I love the stocks in

Moosewood's Daily Special Cookbook, of which this is a very slightly

modified one.)

3 whole heads of garlic

10 cups of water

2 or 3 bay leaves

8 whole black peppercorns, or a tablespoon of mixed peppercorns

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and coarsely chopped

3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped

3 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 4 fresh thyme sprigs

Remove the papery skins from the garlic heads and break them into

cloves. While Moosewood says you don't need to peel them, I do, and

then I whack them with the broad side of a wide knife. Combine

everything in a large pot and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat,

and simmer for an hour. Strain the stock and use right away, or

refrigerate in a sealed container for up to four days, or freeze up to

six months.

Part Two: The Soup

2 tbsp vegetable, sunflower, canola or olive oil

2 medium-large onions, chopped

4 carrots, chopped

3 bell peppers, red, greed, yellow, orange, chopped

3 small zucchinis, chopped

6 - 8 garlic cloves, crushed

3 tbsp each of basil and oregano, dried

A pinch of dried chili flakes

2 - 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes

The broth

1-2 cans kidney or garbanzo beans (or other bean, your choice, or two

cans... again, your choice)

1 1/2 - 2 cups pasta (short, chunky pasta is good)

salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste

Sautee onions in oil, until they are starting to soften. Add carrots,

peppers, zucchini, garlic, basil, oregano, chili flakes, and turn down

to medium-low and cover, stirring frequently, until the veggies start to

soften a bit. Add diced tomatoes and broth, and season with salt and

pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook for 45 minutes or

so. Add drained and rinsed beans. Add pasta, remove from burner, and

let sit for around 20 minutes. Cool immediately or pasta will start to

break down and fall apart.

I usually use some frozen cauliflower florets, or green beans, and

sometimes some mushrooms... but I find that I get carried away and end

up with minestrone stew!!! (And I forgot this time around!) I'm not a

huge fan of mushrooms in this, while I do like mushrooms, I'm not sure I

like their consistency after cooked in soup - although my husband loves

them in it.

Anyway... enjoy!!

Cathrine

Thank you, Catherine. This does sound very yummy.

~ pt ~

No pain, no palm;

no thorns, no throne;

no gall, no glory;

no cross, no crown.

- William Penn

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~>

, Cathrine Qua

<cathrineq@r...>

wrote:

> Well, as promised, here is my own minestrone recipe. It's

developed

> over time, and I'm known for it (to the point that my husband's

> co-workers actually steal his lunch sometimes! Seriously.)

I made this last night. It was very good. My 17 year old son just raved and raved, and I served it with garlic bread which he said was a great choice, LOL. I was shocked when he actually said, "all these fresh vegetables in here, this stuff is really good for you too."

LOL!! I could have fallen off the chair.

I didn't use the beans because I knew they wouldn't fly with both son and hubby, and I subbed out the one can of tomatoes with tomato paste. I only used 2 carrots, cause I didn'thave any more, and I am glad because for us I think it was just right.

Ya know, that broth was so good, I mean the broth part before the soup, I am gonna use that with other things. It would do great for wonton soup. :o)

thanks!

Chanda

-

Cathrine Qua

undisclosed-recipients:

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:22 PM

Well, as promised, here is my own minestrone recipe. It's developed over time, and I'm known for it (to the point that my husband's co-workers actually steal his lunch sometimes! Seriously.) Part One: The Garlic Broth (while I think some recipes can easily be made with canned or tetra packed broth, and this can, too, I'm really not a fan of those dried cubes of boullion, and I love the stocks in Moosewood's Daily Special Cookbook, of which this is a very slightly modified one.)3 whole heads of garlic10 cups of water2 or 3 bay leaves8 whole black peppercorns, or a tablespoon of mixed peppercorns 1/2 teaspoon salt2 potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and coarsely chopped3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped3 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 4 fresh thyme sprigsRemove the papery skins from the garlic heads and break them into cloves. While Moosewood says you don't need to peel them, I do, and then I whack them with the broad side of a wide knife. Combine everything in a large pot and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for an hour. Strain the stock and use right away, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to four days, or freeze up to six months.Part Two: The Soup2 tbsp vegetable, sunflower, canola or olive oil2 medium-large onions, chopped4 carrots, chopped3 bell peppers, red, greed, yellow, orange, chopped3 small zucchinis, chopped6 - 8 garlic cloves, crushed3 tbsp each of basil and oregano, driedA pinch of dried chili flakes 2 - 28 oz cans of diced tomatoesThe broth1-2 cans kidney or garbanzo beans (or other bean, your choice, or two cans... again, your choice)1 1/2 - 2 cups pasta (short, chunky pasta is good)salt & fresh ground pepper, to tasteSautee onions in oil, until they are starting to soften. Add carrots, peppers, zucchini, garlic, basil, oregano, chili flakes, and turn down to medium-low and cover, stirring frequently, until the veggies start to soften a bit. Add diced tomatoes and broth, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook for 45 minutes or so. Add drained and rinsed beans. Add pasta, remove from burner, and let sit for around 20 minutes. Cool immediately or pasta will start to break down and fall apart.I usually use some frozen cauliflower florets, or green beans, and sometimes some mushrooms... but I find that I get carried away and end up with minestrone stew!!! (And I forgot this time around!) I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms in this, while I do like mushrooms, I'm not sure I like their consistency after cooked in soup - although my husband loves them in it.Anyway... enjoy!!Cathrine