IndiaDivine.org

Vegan Jambalaya

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We always welcome new recipes?

Peter vv

cocopuffs771 <cocopuffs771 Sent: Wednesday, 12 November, 2008 9:56:40 PM Vegan Jambalaya

Anyone interested in a tasty vegan dish? Let me know Jerrold

I love vegan jambalaya. :D Best thing I've found to put in it is Field Roast Co's Italian sausage. Perfect amount of spice!On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM, cocopuffs771 <cocopuffs771 wrote:

Anyone interested in a tasty vegan dish? Let me know Jerrold

---

To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Field Roast products are dang yummy.

Blue Rose Nov 12, 2008 2:48 PM Re: Vegan Jambalaya

I love vegan jambalaya. :D Best thing I've found to put in it is Field Roast Co's Italian sausage. Perfect amount of spice!

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM, cocopuffs771 <cocopuffs771 > wrote:

Anyone interested in a tasty vegan dish? Let me know Jerrold---To send an email to -

mmm...field roast.....we ate a four pack EACH of italian and apple sage this week. my favorite fast food homecooked breakfast:1/2 package alexia frozen hash browns1/2 onion garlic s and p

spread it out in a big pan with about 2 tbs oil. cover it. cook for about 10 minutes, til there is a nice golden brown layer of crispiness. uncover, turn, move to side. add sliced tomato and 2 field roast apple sage.

finish it up, eat, rinse, and repeat! delicious. blake On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:00 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Field Roast products are dang yummy.

Blue Rose Nov 12, 2008 2:48 PM

Re: Vegan Jambalaya

I love vegan jambalaya. :D Best thing I've found to put in it is Field Roast Co's Italian sausage. Perfect amount of spice!

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM, cocopuffs771 <cocopuffs771 wrote:

Anyone interested in a tasty vegan dish? Let me know Jerrold---To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email:

-digest -fullfeatured

<*>

• 2 months later...

i've had it before at New World Restaurant here in Oakland

i wouldn't color me impressed

but, their dishes are hit or miss anyways

fraggle

Jerrrold Fuller Jan 27, 2009 6:14 AM Vegan Jambalaya

Has anyone tried Vegan Jambalaya? Jerrold

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 8:16:02 PMRe: Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

from the soy deli website

Freezing & Thawing: Freezing and thawing makes the tofu more porous so that it soaks marinades and other liquids very quickly. For additional information on freezing and thawing tofu, see "Storage" in this article.

Boiling: When boiling tofu, the outside is cooked more than the inside, causing the outside edges to be a little tougher. This may be exactly what you want when using tofu as a meat alternative. A typical boiling time is 20 minutes; however, boiling it for longer or shorter periods of time certainly will not hurt it.

Pressing: Pressing tofu makes the entire block uniformly firmer. This is the technique to use if a recipe calls for firm tofu and you happen to have soft tofu in the refrigerator. To press a block of tofu, place it between towels and put a heavy weight (such as a cast iron frying pan, concrete paving blocks, or bricks) on top and let it sit for an hour or so. Storing or cooking pressed tofu in a liquid will undo the effects of the pressing.

You are not limited to just one of these techniques to change the hardness of your tofu. You can use any combination of them or all three. You can even repeat any of the techniques or combinations to really toughen up your tofu. When you go to your local health food store, you may notice a wide variety of tofus flavored with herbs. These are not what the authors of your recipe books are referring to unless, of course, they've specified a particular flavor of tofu. Feel free to try these flavored tofu treats in your own creative recipes.

Nigari/Calcium Rich/GDL (Glucono Delta Lactone)

Nigari is a natural component of sea water, primarily magnesium chloride. It is used to make Japanese style tofu. Nigari tofu are generally firmer and more tender.

Calcium Rich tofu is make with food grade gypsum, a natural earth mineral, calcium sulfate. It is traditional Chinese tofu ingredient. The Calcium Rich tofu is softer and smoother.

GDL Tofu is silken tofu. GDL is mixed with the soymilk in the tofu container. The coagulation takes place inside the tofu container. The tofu is never pressed. Therefore, silken tofu has the highest water content. This make silken tofu soft.

(for the record, GDL is generally made from fermented rice)

Freshness/QualityFresh tofu should have a mild smell when you open the package. A package of tofu should show an expiration date. Tofu that has spoiled turns moldy, is filmy to the touch, and has a sour, sharp, or biting taste and smell. Some suggest that if it only smells sour, it can still be used in many recipes other than those with very delicate flavors such as mousses and puddings. However, if it smells sour, we suggest that you just throw it away -- it's not that expensive.

StorageTofu can be purchased refrigerated and packed in water or packaged in vacuum packed plastic containers. After opening a water pack refrigerated package, drain the fluid, cut off the portion you want, and decide how you are going to store the remainder of the tofu. To maintain its store-bought texture, put it in the refrigerator. To change the tofu's texture and make it tougher (more meat-like), put it in the freezer. If you want to store it in the refrigerator (which you can do for up to 7 days), cover with fresh cool water. Replace the water daily to prevent it from getting cloudy and making a good home for bacteria. Also be sure that the tofu is completely submerged.

If you want to store it in the freezer, place the drained tofu in an airtight bag or container. The white tofu, once frozen, will turn yellow; but don't worry, when you thaw it, it will become white again. Freezing tofu drastically changes its properties. When you freeze it, thaw it, and squeeze out the water, it will have a more meaty, chewy consistency and will soak up marinades and sauces more readily than non-frozen tofu. (Other ways of changing the hardness of tofu are described in the "Varieties" section of this article.) To squeeze out the water, simply place sliced tofu between paper towels and press with the palm of your hand to remove as much water as possible, or perform the "pressing" technique described earlier. To thaw tofu quickly, microwave it on a paper towel or in a bowl. You can also boil it for 5 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the tofu chunk. It is usually easier, however, to leave it on a plate on the kitchen counter for a few hours.

Preparing Instructions

Marinating

Marinating tofu is one of the many ways of flavoring it. When a recipe instructs you to marinate tofu and it does not tell you the tofu texture or hardness to use, we recommend using a regular firm or extra-firm tofu. If you are marinating for less than one hour, it can be done at room temperature covered with wax paper, paper towels, or a towel. However, for longer periods of time, marinating should be done in a tightly-covered container in the refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth and spoilage.

Frozen and thawed tofu absorbs marinades faster than unfrozen tofu. In fact, if the marinade is thin, you may only need to quickly dip the tofu in the sauce on each side for it to be fully absorbed into the tofu. However, if the marinade is thick, the tofu may still require several hours or even overnight to absorb the marinade fully.

Cooking

Tofu can be mashed, blended, whipped, ground, crumbled, marinated, simmered, steamed, baked, broiled, sautéed, barbecued, fried, or deep-fried. Basically, you can do anything to it. Use your imagination and creativity. Remember, tofu has very little flavor of its own, and it will pick up the flavors of the ingredients it is cooked with. Also remember that tofu can be so soft and creamy that it melts away in the dish, or so firm and leathery that it takes a bit of chewing. Choose your flavors and textures.

Tofu may not only look like a sponge, but in some cases it actually acts like a sponge. If you have gone through some time and effort to remove the water from your tofu (i.e., to make it firmer or to maximize the flavor of a marinade), don't put it back in water or other liquids such as soup stocks. The tofu "sponge" will absorb liquid and drastically dilute the marinade and return the tofu's firmness to its original state.

In a soup or stew, you can "lock-in" the flavor of a marinated tofu by first cooking it with a little oil. Deep frying, pan frying, or covering with a non-stick cooking spray and broiling are all methods that may be used. If this locking-in process is skipped, the tofu's flavors will have a tendency to be leached out by the soup or stew broth. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

--George W. Bush

Yup! I've made it.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Jerrrold Fuller <cocopuffs771 wrote:

Has anyone tried Vegan Jambalaya? Jerrold

fraggle <EBbrewpunx

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:16:02 PMRe: Re: Basic Broiled Tofu w/Braising Sauce

from the soy deli website

Freezing & Thawing: Freezing and thawing makes the tofu more porous so that it soaks marinades and other liquids very quickly. For additional information on freezing and thawing tofu, see " Storage " in this article.

Boiling: When boiling tofu, the outside is cooked more than the inside, causing the outside edges to be a little tougher. This may be exactly what you want when using tofu as a meat alternative. A typical boiling time is 20 minutes; however, boiling it for longer or shorter periods of time certainly will not hurt it.

Pressing: Pressing tofu makes the entire block uniformly firmer. This is the technique to use if a recipe calls for firm tofu and you happen to have soft tofu in the refrigerator. To press a block of tofu, place it between towels and put a heavy weight (such as a cast iron frying pan, concrete paving blocks, or bricks) on top and let it sit for an hour or so. Storing or cooking pressed tofu in a liquid will undo the effects of the pressing.

You are not limited to just one of these techniques to change the hardness of your tofu. You can use any combination of them or all three. You can even repeat any of the techniques or combinations to really toughen up your tofu. When you go to your local health food store, you may notice a wide variety of tofus flavored with herbs. These are not what the authors of your recipe books are referring to unless, of course, they've specified a particular flavor of tofu. Feel free to try these flavored tofu treats in your own creative recipes.

Nigari/Calcium Rich/GDL (Glucono Delta Lactone)

Nigari is a natural component of sea water, primarily magnesium chloride. It is used to make Japanese style tofu. Nigari tofu are generally firmer and more tender.

Calcium Rich tofu is make with food grade gypsum, a natural earth mineral, calcium sulfate. It is traditional Chinese tofu ingredient. The Calcium Rich tofu is softer and smoother.

GDL Tofu is silken tofu. GDL is mixed with the soymilk in the tofu container. The coagulation takes place inside the tofu container. The tofu is never pressed. Therefore, silken tofu has the highest water content. This make silken tofu soft.

(for the record, GDL is generally made from fermented rice)

Freshness/QualityFresh tofu should have a mild smell when you open the package. A package of tofu should show an expiration date. Tofu that has spoiled turns moldy, is filmy to the touch, and has a sour, sharp, or biting taste and smell. Some suggest that if it only smells sour, it can still be used in many recipes other than those with very delicate flavors such as mousses and puddings. However, if it smells sour, we suggest that you just throw it away -- it's not that expensive.

StorageTofu can be purchased refrigerated and packed in water or packaged in vacuum packed plastic containers. After opening a water pack refrigerated package, drain the fluid, cut off the portion you want, and decide how you are going to store the remainder of the tofu. To maintain its store-bought texture, put it in the refrigerator. To change the tofu's texture and make it tougher (more meat-like), put it in the freezer. If you want to store it in the refrigerator (which you can do for up to 7 days), cover with fresh cool water. Replace the water daily to prevent it from getting cloudy and making a good home for bacteria. Also be sure that the tofu is completely submerged.

If you want to store it in the freezer, place the drained tofu in an airtight bag or container. The white tofu, once frozen, will turn yellow; but don't worry, when you thaw it, it will become white again. Freezing tofu drastically changes its properties. When you freeze it, thaw it, and squeeze out the water, it will have a more meaty, chewy consistency and will soak up marinades and sauces more readily than non-frozen tofu. (Other ways of changing the hardness of tofu are described in the " Varieties " section of this article.) To squeeze out the water, simply place sliced tofu between paper towels and press with the palm of your hand to remove as much water as possible, or perform the " pressing " technique described earlier. To thaw tofu quickly, microwave it on a paper towel or in a bowl. You can also boil it for 5 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the tofu chunk. It is usually easier, however, to leave it on a plate on the kitchen counter for a few hours.

Preparing Instructions

Marinating

Marinating tofu is one of the many ways of flavoring it. When a recipe instructs you to marinate tofu and it does not tell you the tofu texture or hardness to use, we recommend using a regular firm or extra-firm tofu. If you are marinating for less than one hour, it can be done at room temperature covered with wax paper, paper towels, or a towel. However, for longer periods of time, marinating should be done in a tightly-covered container in the refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth and spoilage.

Frozen and thawed tofu absorbs marinades faster than unfrozen tofu. In fact, if the marinade is thin, you may only need to quickly dip the tofu in the sauce on each side for it to be fully absorbed into the tofu. However, if the marinade is thick, the tofu may still require several hours or even overnight to absorb the marinade fully.

Cooking

Tofu can be mashed, blended, whipped, ground, crumbled, marinated, simmered, steamed, baked, broiled, sautéed, barbecued, fried, or deep-fried. Basically, you can do anything to it. Use your imagination and creativity. Remember, tofu has very little flavor of its own, and it will pick up the flavors of the ingredients it is cooked with. Also remember that tofu can be so soft and creamy that it melts away in the dish, or so firm and leathery that it takes a bit of chewing. Choose your flavors and textures.

Tofu may not only look like a sponge, but in some cases it actually acts like a sponge. If you have gone through some time and effort to remove the water from your tofu (i.e., to make it firmer or to maximize the flavor of a marinade), don't put it back in water or other liquids such as soup stocks. The tofu " sponge " will absorb liquid and drastically dilute the marinade and return the tofu's firmness to its original state.

In a soup or stew, you can " lock-in " the flavor of a marinated tofu by first cooking it with a little oil. Deep frying, pan frying, or covering with a non-stick cooking spray and broiling are all methods that may be used. If this locking-in process is skipped, the tofu's flavors will have a tendency to be leached out by the soup or stew broth.

" Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we. "

--George W. Bush

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

• 1 year later...

My friend Vicki is having a bunch of people over for Super Bowl Sunday. Her

husband wants to serve Jambalaya, which sounds quite yummy, but which is

also loaded with meat. :)

I decided to experiment last night with a vegan version after my trip to

Whole Foods. Which worked out perfectly, because my boys came home from a

very cold snow campout. What better to warm them up then the spicy goodness

of Jambalaya?

I started with Paula Deen's recipe, making a few adjustments to account for

what I had on hand and, of course, veggie substitutes.

Whitney's Version of Paula's Jambalaya

* 2 cups long grain rice

* 6 tbsp dried onions

* 2 tbsp dried parsley

* 1 tsp dried thyme

* 1 tsp garlic powder

* 1 tsp ground black pepper

* 1/2 tsp ground red pepper

* 1/2 tsp salt

* 2 bay leaves

* 5 cups vegetable broth

* 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

* 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce

* 1 (14 oz) Field's Apple Sage Sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch thick

rounds

* 1 (10.5 oz) box vegan shrimp

1. In a large pot, combine rice, onion, parsley, thyme, garlic powder,

black pepper, red pepper, salt, bay leaf, veggie broth, tomatoes, and tomato

sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

2. In a medium saucepan, brown sausage. Add to rice mixture in pot.

3. When rice mixture is boiling, cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25

minutes, or until rice is cooked through.

4. Add shrimp and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.

5. Enjoy!

This was really good. No one was able to tell that the sausage and shrimp

weren't " real " , and it was very nicely spicy. In fact a little to spicy for

Steven, who added a dollop of sour cream* to cut the heat. I would say that

it was a successful experiment!

*Steven's sour cream was not vegan, so if you want to keep it vegan and

still cut the heat, either cut down the amount of red pepper, or use a vegan

sour cream. :)

Whitney

(this is also posted on my blog at http://vegetarianforayear.blogspot.com)

Ooooh....this sounds wonderful!

Can you tell me more about this " vegan shrimp " ?

Thanks!

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Whitney Donohue <donohue wrote:

>

>

> My friend Vicki is having a bunch of people over for Super Bowl Sunday. Her

> husband wants to serve Jambalaya, which sounds quite yummy, but which is

> also loaded with meat. :)

>

> I decided to experiment last night with a vegan version after my trip to

> Whole Foods. Which worked out perfectly, because my boys came home from a

> very cold snow campout. What better to warm them up then the spicy goodness

> of Jambalaya?

>

> I started with Paula Deen's recipe, making a few adjustments to account for

> what I had on hand and, of course, veggie substitutes.

>

> Whitney's Version of Paula's Jambalaya

>

> * 2 cups long grain rice

> * 6 tbsp dried onions

> * 2 tbsp dried parsley

> * 1 tsp dried thyme

> * 1 tsp garlic powder

> * 1 tsp ground black pepper

> * 1/2 tsp ground red pepper

> * 1/2 tsp salt

> * 2 bay leaves

> * 5 cups vegetable broth

> * 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

> * 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce

> * 1 (14 oz) Field's Apple Sage Sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch thick

> rounds

> * 1 (10.5 oz) box vegan shrimp

>

> 1. In a large pot, combine rice, onion, parsley, thyme, garlic powder,

> black pepper, red pepper, salt, bay leaf, veggie broth, tomatoes, and

> tomato

> sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

> 2. In a medium saucepan, brown sausage. Add to rice mixture in pot.

> 3. When rice mixture is boiling, cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25

> minutes, or until rice is cooked through.

> 4. Add shrimp and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.

> 5. Enjoy!

>

> This was really good. No one was able to tell that the sausage and shrimp

> weren't " real " , and it was very nicely spicy. In fact a little to spicy for

> Steven, who added a dollop of sour cream* to cut the heat. I would say that

> it was a successful experiment!

>

> *Steven's sour cream was not vegan, so if you want to keep it vegan and

> still cut the heat, either cut down the amount of red pepper, or use a

> vegan

> sour cream. :)

>

> Whitney

> (this is also posted on my blog at http://vegetarianforayear.blogspot.com)

>

>

>

The brand I got (at Whole Foods) is called Vegetarian Plus (A Meatless

World). It is a 10.5 oz pkg of Vegan Shrimp (with Sweet Chili Sauce, which I

didn't use). The ingredients are water, curdlan gum, refined konjac powder,

modified tapioca starch, potato starch, raw cane sugar, sea salt, white

pepper powder, onion powder, garlic powder, yeast extract powder, seaweed

extract, sesame oil, fermented rice vinegar, calcium carbonate, sodium

tripolyphosphate, oleoresin paprika. They are shaped like shrimp and have a

pink and white look--similar to imitation crabmeat. Once in the tomato-y

rice, you really couldn't tell they weren't shrimp. And my son, who

loooooovvvvess shrimp, couldn't tell the difference, either. He was really

surprised!

Here's a link to it at Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe:

http://www.cosmosveganshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD & Product_

Code=VUS I think the price is comparable to what I paid at Whole Foods.

Whitney

Thanks!

The ingredients reminds me what Michael Pollan says. " Don't buy anything a Third

Grader couldn't pronounce. "

Sunny

Whitney Donohue <donohue

Mon, February 1, 2010 10:33:36 AM

RE: Vegan Jambalaya

The brand I got (at Whole Foods) is called Vegetarian Plus (A Meatless

World). It is a 10.5 oz pkg of Vegan Shrimp (with Sweet Chili Sauce, which I

didn't use). The ingredients are water, curdlan gum, refined konjac powder,

modified tapioca starch, potato starch, raw cane sugar, sea salt, white

pepper powder, onion powder, garlic powder, yeast extract powder, seaweed

extract, sesame oil, fermented rice vinegar, calcium carbonate, sodium

tripolyphosphate, oleoresin paprika. They are shaped like shrimp and have a

pink and white look--similar to imitation crabmeat. Once in the tomato-y

rice, you really couldn't tell they weren't shrimp. And my son, who

loooooovvvvess shrimp, couldn't tell the difference, either. He was really

surprised!

Here's a link to it at Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe:

http://www.cosmosve ganshoppe. com/Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen=

PROD & Product_

Code=VUS I think the price is comparable to what I paid at Whole Foods.

Whitney

Thanks!

Thank you for the " shrimp " info.

The nearest Whole Foods is about an hour away (but.....only 5 minutes from

my kid's house!) so I will look for it next time I'm in.

Hmmm....I wonder if, doused with the " cocktail sauce " it would taste like

the old shrimp cocktail? YUM!!!!

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Whitney Donohue <donohue wrote:

>

>

> The brand I got (at Whole Foods) is called Vegetarian Plus (A Meatless

> World). It is a 10.5 oz pkg of Vegan Shrimp (with Sweet Chili Sauce, which

> I

> didn't use). The ingredients are water, curdlan gum, refined konjac powder,

> modified tapioca starch, potato starch, raw cane sugar, sea salt, white

> pepper powder, onion powder, garlic powder, yeast extract powder, seaweed

> extract, sesame oil, fermented rice vinegar, calcium carbonate, sodium

> tripolyphosphate, oleoresin paprika. They are shaped like shrimp and have a

> pink and white look--similar to imitation crabmeat. Once in the tomato-y

> rice, you really couldn't tell they weren't shrimp. And my son, who

> loooooovvvvess shrimp, couldn't tell the difference, either. He was really

> surprised!

>

> Here's a link to it at Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe:

>

> http://www.cosmosveganshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD & Product_

> Code=VUS I think the price is comparable to what I paid at Whole Foods.

> Whitney

>

>

>

> Ooooh....this sounds wonderful!

>

> Can you tell me more about this " vegan shrimp " ?

>

> Thanks!

>

>

>

My nearest Whole Foods is an hour away too. And I find it to be expensive.

But, there is a chain in Vegas called Sunflower Market that I am going to

check out, and my husband often finds great deals at the Mexican market by

his work. I found fresh pears at the dollar store yesterday--go figure!

I figure Whole Foods will probably only be for specialty type items (like

the Fields Sausage). :)

Sunny--It is a good philosophy, but when my son was in third grade he had a

bit of a speech impediment, so I would have been really limited on what I

could eat if I only ate what he could pronounce. :)

Sodium Tripolyphosphate is a salt...therefore a preservative

Calcium Carbonate--generally used as a calcium supplement

Oleoresin paprika is a food coloring made from red chiles

Curdlan Gum forms a solid type gel that is used to stabilize some food.

<--This one may be kind of iffy. :)

Konjac powder--this is a thickener made from the root of the konjac plant

I think it is important to know what you are eating--and the only thing that

I don't know anything about is the Curdlan Gum. I will probably be doing

more research on this one...

Whitney

Whole Foods is expensive, contrary to how they try to spin the cost.  We have

a local chain called Krogers which is a typical grocery store but they have

been trying very hard to stock the same stuff that they have at Whole Foods.

'Do what thou wilt, but harm none'. Each individual is responsible for

discovering his or her own true nature and developing it fully, in harmony with

the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Whitney Donohue <donohue

Mon, February 1, 2010 5:05:42 PM

Calcium Carbonate--generall y used as a calcium supplement

Whitney

I didn't know Kroger owned Whole Foods, interesting.

Patricia

--- On Mon, 2/1/10, Winterchill <winterchill57 wrote:

Winterchill <winterchill57

Monday, February 1, 2010, 3:44 PM

a local chain called Krogers which is a typical grocery store but they have been

trying very hard to stock the same stuff that they have at Whole Foods.

the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Whitney Donohue <donohue

Whitney

No, Kroger doesn't own Whole Foods...

Kroger is a regional name...the company owns other stores all over, like

Fred Meyer in Oregon, also....

Kroger is in the Midwest, includes Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.

Each Kroger's has a " Natural Foods " section, depending on the size of the

store. Mine (in SW Ohio) has a really nice selection of frozen and

refrigerated foods, in addition to the dry goods shelves.

One particular Kroger's in Cincinnati ( where Whole Foods has a presence )

also has a bulk foods area....very nice!

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000wrote:

>

>

> I didn't know Kroger owned Whole Foods, interesting.

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Mon, 2/1/10, Winterchill

<winterchill57<winterchill57%40>>

> wrote:

>

> Winterchill <winterchill57 <winterchill57%40>>

> Re: Vegan Jambalaya

> <%40>

> Monday, February 1, 2010, 3:44 PM

>

> Whole Foods is expensive, contrary to how they try to spin the cost. We

> have a local chain called Krogers which is a typical grocery store but they

> have been trying very hard to stock the same stuff that they have at Whole

> Foods.

>

>

> 'Do what thou wilt, but harm none'. Each individual is responsible for

> discovering his or her own true nature and developing it fully, in harmony

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> ________________________________

> Whitney Donohue <donohue <donohue%40mvdsl.com>>

> <%40>

> Mon, February 1, 2010 5:05:42 PM

> RE: Vegan Jambalaya

>

>

> My nearest Whole Foods is an hour away too. And I find it to be expensive.

> But, there is a chain in Vegas called Sunflower Market that I am going to

> check out, and my husband often finds great deals at the Mexican market by

> his work. I found fresh pears at the dollar store yesterday--go figure!

>

> I figure Whole Foods will probably only be for specialty type items (like

> the Fields Sausage). :)

>

> Sunny--It is a good philosophy, but when my son was in third grade he had a

> bit of a speech impediment, so I would have been really limited on what I

> could eat if I only ate what he could pronounce. :)

>

> Sodium Tripolyphosphate is a salt...therefore a preservative

> Calcium Carbonate--generall y used as a calcium supplement

> Oleoresin paprika is a food coloring made from red chiles

> Curdlan Gum forms a solid type gel that is used to stabilize some food.

> <--This one may be kind of iffy. :)

> Konjac powder--this is a thickener made from the root of the konjac plant

>

> I think it is important to know what you are eating--and the only thing

> that

> I don't know anything about is the Curdlan Gum. I will probably be doing

> more research on this one...

> Whitney

>

>

>

> Thank you for the " shrimp " info.

>

> The nearest Whole Foods is about an hour away (but.....only 5 minutes from

> my kid's house!) so I will look for it next time I'm in.

>

> Hmmm....I wonder if, doused with the " cocktail sauce " it would taste like

> the old shrimp cocktail? YUM!!!!

>

>

>

>

No no no no, I didnt mean for that to look like Krogers owned Whole Foods :)

Krogers is just an ordinary grocery chain that has tried or is trying really

hard to offer what Whole Foods offers in the way of healthier and vegetarian

offerings.

And sometimes you can really load up when they do their managers specials, :)

yes i buy marked down food.

the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Patricia <moondreamer64_2000

Tue, February 2, 2010 2:24:54 AM

I didn't know Kroger owned Whole Foods, interesting.

Patricia

--- On Mon, 2/1/10, Winterchill <winterchill57@ > wrote:

Winterchill <winterchill57@ >

Monday, February 1, 2010, 3:44 PM

a local chain called Krogers which is a typical grocery store but they have

been trying very hard to stock the same stuff that they have at Whole Foods.

the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

____________ _________ _________ __

Whitney Donohue <donohue (AT) mvdsl (DOT) com>

Whitney

Oh, YES! I also buy the " marked down " foods!

My freezer always had various refrigerated items that get marked down near

the XP date. It's the only way to go....grin...!!

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Winterchill <winterchill57 wrote:

>

>

> No no no no, I didnt mean for that to look like Krogers owned Whole Foods

> :)

>

> Krogers is just an ordinary grocery chain that has tried or is trying

> really hard to offer what Whole Foods offers in the way of healthier

> and vegetarian offerings.

>

> And sometimes you can really load up when they do their managers specials,

> :) yes i buy marked down food.

>

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> Patricia <moondreamer64_2000<moondreamer64_2000%40>

> >

> <%40>

> Tue, February 2, 2010 2:24:54 AM

>

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Mon, 2/1/10, Winterchill <winterchill57@ > wrote:

>

> Winterchill <winterchill57@ >

>

>

> Whole Foods is expensive, contrary to how they try to spin the cost. We

> Foods.

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> ____________ _________ _________ __

> Whitney Donohue <donohue (AT) mvdsl (DOT) com>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> that

> Whitney

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

So it is safe to say you have a freezer full of food that have red and yellow

stickers on them that say managers special? Do you go to Kroger a lot?

LOL It drives my dh bonkers but I really save a lot of money this way.

I still have 2 packages of soy pudding in the fridge and a whole bunch of

packages of gardein and I have a package of strawberry flavored tofu I need to

figure out what to do with.  My list is too long to post the entire thing :)

the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Momcat <Momcat55

Tue, February 2, 2010 4:13:56 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> >

> <%40>

>

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

>

>

>

> Whole Foods is expensive, contrary to how they try to spin the cost.  We

> Foods.

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> that

> Whitney

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

LOL...exactly when did you sneak into my basement and open my freezer??!!!

I just saw the Gardein for the first time last week. Looks interesting. Will

try it when....um, the price gets down to reasonable!

Love to stash away the deli slices, particularly Yves' Pepperoni, for Sub

sandwiches.

Hmmm....your strawberry tofu sounds like a fruit smoothie to me!

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Winterchill <winterchill57 wrote:

>

>

> So it is safe to say you have a freezer full of food that have red and

> yellow stickers on them that say managers special? Do you go to Kroger a

> lot?

>

> LOL It drives my dh bonkers but I really save a lot of money this way.

>

> I still have 2 packages of soy pudding in the fridge and a whole bunch of

> packages of gardein and I have a package of strawberry flavored tofu I need

> to figure out what to do with. My list is too long to post the entire thing

>

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> Momcat <Momcat55 <Momcat55%40gmail.com>>

> <%40>

> Tue, February 2, 2010 4:13:56 PM

>

>

> Oh, YES! I also buy the " marked down " foods!

>

> My freezer always had various refrigerated items that get marked down near

> the XP date. It's the only way to go....grin...!!

>

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Winterchill

> wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > No no no no, I didnt mean for that to look like Krogers owned Whole Foods

> > :)

> >

> > Krogers is just an ordinary grocery chain that has tried or is trying

> > really hard to offer what Whole Foods offers in the way of healthier

> > and vegetarian offerings.

> >

> > And sometimes you can really load up when they do their managers

> specials,

> > :) yes i buy marked down food.

> >

> >

> >

> > 'Do what thou wilt, but harm none'. Each individual is responsible for

> > discovering his or her own true nature and developing it fully, in

> harmony

> > with the outer world.

> >

> > Goddess Bless.

> >

> > ________________________________

> > Patricia <moondreamer64_2000<moondreamer64_2000%40>

> <moondreamer64_2000%40>

> > >

> >

<%40><%

> 40>

>

> > Tue, February 2, 2010 2:24:54 AM

> >

> > Re: Vegan Jambalaya

> >

> >

> > I didn't know Kroger owned Whole Foods, interesting.

> >

> > Patricia

> >

> > --- On Mon, 2/1/10, Winterchill <winterchill57@ > wrote:

> >

> > Winterchill <winterchill57@ >

> >

> > Monday, February 1, 2010, 3:44 PM

> >

> > Whole Foods is expensive, contrary to how they try to spin the cost. We

> > have a local chain called Krogers which is a typical grocery store but

> they

> > have been trying very hard to stock the same stuff that they have at

> Whole

> > Foods.

> >

> >

> harmony

> >

> > Goddess Bless.

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > Whitney Donohue <donohue (AT) mvdsl (DOT) com>

> >

> > Mon, February 1, 2010 5:05:42 PM

> > RE: Vegan Jambalaya

> >

> >

> > My nearest Whole Foods is an hour away too. And I find it to be

> expensive.

> > But, there is a chain in Vegas called Sunflower Market that I am going to

> > check out, and my husband often finds great deals at the Mexican market

> by

> > his work. I found fresh pears at the dollar store yesterday--go figure!

> >

> > I figure Whole Foods will probably only be for specialty type items (like

> > the Fields Sausage). :)

> >

> > Sunny--It is a good philosophy, but when my son was in third grade he had

> a

> > bit of a speech impediment, so I would have been really limited on what I

> > could eat if I only ate what he could pronounce. :)

> >

> > Sodium Tripolyphosphate is a salt...therefore a preservative

> > Calcium Carbonate--generall y used as a calcium supplement

> > Oleoresin paprika is a food coloring made from red chiles

> > Curdlan Gum forms a solid type gel that is used to stabilize some food.

> > <--This one may be kind of iffy. :)

> > Konjac powder--this is a thickener made from the root of the konjac plant

> >

> > I think it is important to know what you are eating--and the only thing

> > that

> > I don't know anything about is the Curdlan Gum. I will probably be doing

> > more research on this one...

> > Whitney

> >

> >

> > Thank you for the " shrimp " info.

> >

> > The nearest Whole Foods is about an hour away (but.....only 5 minutes

> from

> > my kid's house!) so I will look for it next time I'm in.

> >

> > Hmmm....I wonder if, doused with the " cocktail sauce " it would taste like

> > the old shrimp cocktail? YUM!!!!

> >

> >

> >

> >

Hey when did you sneak into my freezer :)  I love the gardein.

I also check out the produce area for marked down stuff like sprouts and and I

love love love Brussel sprouts.

And sometimes they will group 3 or 4 pieces of fruits and veggies together and

sell for a buck, I have an eggplant and spaghetti squash that I need to fix from

the last time I was at Kroger.

I was thinking about using the strawberry tofu in a smoothie but I have to say I

have never made a smoothie before.  

Now if a great time to try it I guess.

the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Momcat <Momcat55

Tue, February 2, 2010 4:49:50 PM

LOL...exactly when did you sneak into my basement and open my freezer??!!!

I just saw the Gardein for the first time last week. Looks interesting. Will

try it when....um, the price gets down to reasonable!

Love to stash away the deli slices, particularly Yves' Pepperoni, for Sub

sandwiches.

Hmmm....your strawberry tofu sounds like a fruit smoothie to me!

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Winterchill <winterchill57 wrote:

>

>

> So it is safe to say you have a freezer full of food that have red and

> yellow stickers on them that say managers special? Do you go to Kroger a

> lot?

>

>  LOL It drives my dh bonkers but I really save a lot of money this way.

>

> I still have 2 packages of soy pudding in the fridge and a whole bunch of

> packages of gardein and I have a package of strawberry flavored tofu I need

> to figure out what to do with.  My list is too long to post the entire thing

>

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> <%40>

> Tue, February 2, 2010 4:13:56 PM

>

>

> Oh, YES! I also buy the " marked down " foods!

>

> My freezer always had various refrigerated items that get marked down near

> the XP date. It's the only way to go....grin...!!

>

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Winterchill

> wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > No no no no, I didnt mean for that to look like Krogers owned Whole Foods

> >

> > Krogers is just an ordinary grocery chain that has tried or is trying

> > really hard to offer what Whole Foods offers in the way of healthier

> > and vegetarian offerings.

> >

> > And sometimes you can really load up when they do their managers

> specials,

> > :) yes i buy marked down food.

> >

> >

> >

> harmony

> >

> > Goddess Bless.

> >

> > Patricia <moondreamer64_2000<moondreamer64_2000%40>

> > >

> >

<%40><%

> 40>

>

> > Tue, February 2, 2010 2:24:54 AM

> >

> >

> >

> > I didn't know Kroger owned Whole Foods, interesting.

> >

> > Patricia

> >

> > --- On Mon, 2/1/10, Winterchill <winterchill57@ > wrote:

> >

> > Winterchill <winterchill57@ >

> >

> > Monday, February 1, 2010, 3:44 PM

> >

> > Whole Foods is expensive, contrary to how they try to spin the cost.  We

> > have a local chain called Krogers which is a typical grocery store but

> they

> > have been trying very hard to stock the same stuff that they have at

> Whole

> > Foods.

> >

> >

> harmony

> >

> > Goddess Bless.

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > Whitney Donohue <donohue (AT) mvdsl (DOT) com>

> >

> > Mon, February 1, 2010 5:05:42 PM

> > RE: Vegan Jambalaya

> >

> >

> > My nearest Whole Foods is an hour away too. And I find it to be

> expensive.

> > But, there is a chain in Vegas called Sunflower Market that I am going to

> > check out, and my husband often finds great deals at the Mexican market

> by

> > his work. I found fresh pears at the dollar store yesterday--go figure!

> >

> > I figure Whole Foods will probably only be for specialty type items (like

> > the Fields Sausage). :)

> >

> > Sunny--It is a good philosophy, but when my son was in third grade he had

> a

> > bit of a speech impediment, so I would have been really limited on what I

> > could eat if I only ate what he could pronounce. :)

> >

> > Sodium Tripolyphosphate is a salt...therefore a preservative

> > Calcium Carbonate--generall y used as a calcium supplement

> > Oleoresin paprika is a food coloring made from red chiles

> > Curdlan Gum forms a solid type gel that is used to stabilize some food.

> > <--This one may be kind of iffy. :)

> > Konjac powder--this is a thickener made from the root of the konjac plant

> >

> > I think it is important to know what you are eating--and the only thing

> > that

> > I don't know anything about is the Curdlan Gum. I will probably be doing

> > more research on this one...

> > Whitney

> >

> >

> > Thank you for the " shrimp " info.

> >

> > The nearest Whole Foods is about an hour away (but.....only 5 minutes

> from

> > my kid's house!) so I will look for it next time I'm in.

> >

> > Hmmm....I wonder if, doused with the " cocktail sauce " it would taste like

> > the old shrimp cocktail? YUM!!!!

> >

> >

> >

> >

OMG!!! You sound just like me....grin....!!!!

I always check out marked-down stuff....produce, too! Finding a bag of

whatever just makes me use it in something quick!

And me, too!!! LOVE Brussel sprouts!!! I like to steam them with a bunch of

mushrooms ....maybe add tofu for some protein.

You can try cutting a chunk of the tofu into a blender with some fruits

(fresh or frozen) and adding some juice or soymilk. Blend until smooth and

creamy. I do this a lot in warmer months.

BTW....whereabouts are you? We must be in the same regional area if we both

have Kroger. I am in SW Ohio.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Winterchill <winterchill57 wrote:

>

>

> Hey when did you sneak into my freezer :) I love the gardein.

>

> I also check out the produce area for marked down stuff like sprouts and

> and I love love love Brussel sprouts.

> And sometimes they will group 3 or 4 pieces of fruits and veggies together

> and sell for a buck, I have an eggplant and spaghetti squash that I need

> to fix from the last time I was at Kroger.

>

> I was thinking about using the strawberry tofu in a smoothie but I have to

> say I have never made a smoothie before.

>

> Now if a great time to try it I guess.

>

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> <%40>

> Tue, February 2, 2010 4:49:50 PM

>

>

> LOL...exactly when did you sneak into my basement and open my freezer??!!!

>

> I just saw the Gardein for the first time last week. Looks interesting.

> Will

> try it when....um, the price gets down to reasonable!

>

> Love to stash away the deli slices, particularly Yves' Pepperoni, for Sub

> sandwiches.

>

> Hmmm....your strawberry tofu sounds like a fruit smoothie to me!

>

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Winterchill

> wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > So it is safe to say you have a freezer full of food that have red and

> > yellow stickers on them that say managers special? Do you go to Kroger a

> > lot?

> >

> > LOL It drives my dh bonkers but I really save a lot of money this way.

> >

> > I still have 2 packages of soy pudding in the fridge and a whole bunch of

> > packages of gardein and I have a package of strawberry flavored tofu I

> need

> > to figure out what to do with. My list is too long to post the entire

> thing

> >

> >

> >

> harmony

> >

> > Goddess Bless.

> >

> > Momcat <Momcat55 <Momcat55%40gmail.com> <Momcat55%

> 40gmail.com>>

>

> >

<%40><%

> 40>

> > Tue, February 2, 2010 4:13:56 PM

> >

> >

> > Oh, YES! I also buy the " marked down " foods!

> >

> > My freezer always had various refrigerated items that get marked down

> near

> > the XP date. It's the only way to go....grin...!!

> >

> > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Winterchill

<winterchill57<winterchill57%40>

> <winterchill57%40>>

>

> > wrote:

> >

> > >

> > >

> > > No no no no, I didnt mean for that to look like Krogers owned Whole

> Foods

> > > :)

> > >

> > > Krogers is just an ordinary grocery chain that has tried or is trying

> > > really hard to offer what Whole Foods offers in the way of healthier

> > > and vegetarian offerings.

> > >

> > > And sometimes you can really load up when they do their managers

> > specials,

> > > :) yes i buy marked down food.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > 'Do what thou wilt, but harm none'. Each individual is responsible for

> > > discovering his or her own true nature and developing it fully, in

> > harmony

> > > with the outer world.

> > >

> > > Goddess Bless.

> > >

> > > ________________________________

> > > Patricia

<moondreamer64_2000<moondreamer64_2000%40>

> > <moondreamer64_2000%40>

> > > >

> > > To:

<%40><vegetarianspi\

ce%

> 40><%

>

> > 40>

> >

> > > Tue, February 2, 2010 2:24:54 AM

> > >

> > > Re: Vegan Jambalaya

> > >

> > >

> > > I didn't know Kroger owned Whole Foods, interesting.

> > >

> > > Patricia

> > >

> > > --- On Mon, 2/1/10, Winterchill <winterchill57@ > wrote:

> > >

> > > Winterchill <winterchill57@ >

> > >

> > > Monday, February 1, 2010, 3:44 PM

> > >

> > > Whole Foods is expensive, contrary to how they try to spin the cost.

> We

> > > have a local chain called Krogers which is a typical grocery store but

> > they

> > > have been trying very hard to stock the same stuff that they have at

> > Whole

> > > Foods.

> > >

> > >

> > harmony

> > >

> > > Goddess Bless.

> > >

> > > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > > Whitney Donohue <donohue (AT) mvdsl (DOT) com>

> > >

> > > Mon, February 1, 2010 5:05:42 PM

> > > RE: Vegan Jambalaya

> > >

> > >

> > > My nearest Whole Foods is an hour away too. And I find it to be

> > expensive.

> > > But, there is a chain in Vegas called Sunflower Market that I am going

> to

> > > check out, and my husband often finds great deals at the Mexican market

> > by

> > > his work. I found fresh pears at the dollar store yesterday--go figure!

> > >

> > > I figure Whole Foods will probably only be for specialty type items

> (like

> > > the Fields Sausage). :)

> > >

> > > Sunny--It is a good philosophy, but when my son was in third grade he

> had

> > a

> > > bit of a speech impediment, so I would have been really limited on what

> I

> > > could eat if I only ate what he could pronounce. :)

> > >

> > > Sodium Tripolyphosphate is a salt...therefore a preservative

> > > Calcium Carbonate--generall y used as a calcium supplement

> > > Oleoresin paprika is a food coloring made from red chiles

> > > Curdlan Gum forms a solid type gel that is used to stabilize some food.

> > > <--This one may be kind of iffy. :)

> > > Konjac powder--this is a thickener made from the root of the konjac

> plant

> > >

> > > I think it is important to know what you are eating--and the only thing

> > > that

> > > I don't know anything about is the Curdlan Gum. I will probably be

> doing

> > > more research on this one...

> > > Whitney

> > >

> > >

> > > Thank you for the " shrimp " info.

> > >

> > > The nearest Whole Foods is about an hour away (but.....only 5 minutes

> > from

> > > my kid's house!) so I will look for it next time I'm in.

> > >

> > > Hmmm....I wonder if, doused with the " cocktail sauce " it would taste

> like

> > > the old shrimp cocktail? YUM!!!!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

I remember Krogers from my childhood in Kansas City, MO and that was in the

'40s.

Patricia

--- On Tue, 2/2/10, Momcat <Momcat55 wrote:

Momcat <Momcat55

Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 2:54 AM

No, Kroger doesn't own Whole Foods...

Kroger is a regional name...the company owns other stores all over, like

Fred Meyer in Oregon, also....

Kroger is in the Midwest, includes Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.

Each Kroger's has a " Natural Foods " section, depending on the size of the

store. Mine (in SW Ohio) has a really nice selection of frozen and

refrigerated foods, in addition to the dry goods shelves.

One particular Kroger's in Cincinnati ( where Whole Foods has a presence )

also has a bulk foods area....very nice!

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000wrote:

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Mon, 2/1/10, Winterchill

> wrote:

>

> Winterchill <winterchill57 <winterchill57%40>>

> <%40>

>

> Foods.

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> Whitney Donohue <donohue <donohue%40mvdsl.com>>

> <%40>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> that

> Whitney

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

What is Gardein like?

Patricia

--- On Tue, 2/2/10, Winterchill <winterchill57 wrote:

Winterchill <winterchill57

Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 2:26 PM

So it is safe to say you have a freezer full of food that have red and yellow

stickers on them that say managers special? Do you go to Kroger a lot?

LOL It drives my dh bonkers but I really save a lot of money this way.

I still have 2 packages of soy pudding in the fridge and a whole bunch of

packages of gardein and I have a package of strawberry flavored tofu I need to

figure out what to do with.  My list is too long to post the entire thing :)

the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Momcat <Momcat55

Tue, February 2, 2010 4:13:56 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> >

> <%40>

>

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

>

>

>

> Foods.

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> that

> Whitney

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Hey there

I am in the Fort Worth of Texas, and I love our Krogers.  Nice to see that

Krogers practice similiar marked downs/managers special in all of their stores.

This morning i opened up the package of strawberry tofu and at first it kinda

freaked me out.   I was expecting a brick of strawberry flavored tofu but it was

runny, and I thought ok I see why it was marked down but I think that is just

the way it comes.   So I mixed it with orange juice and it was great.   I will

definitly be buying more when they mark it down, and I am thinking the chocolate

and vanilla flavored tofu would mix great with almond milk.

the outer world.

Goddess Bless.

Momcat <Momcat55

Tue, February 2, 2010 6:32:27 PM

OMG!!!  You sound just like me....grin....!!!!

I always check out marked-down stuff....produce, too! Finding a bag of

whatever just makes me use it in something quick!

And me, too!!! LOVE Brussel sprouts!!! I like to steam them with a bunch of

mushrooms ....maybe add tofu for some protein.

You can try cutting a chunk of the tofu into a blender with some fruits

(fresh or frozen) and adding some juice or soymilk. Blend until smooth and

creamy. I do this a lot in warmer months.

BTW....whereabouts are you? We must be in the same regional area if we both

have Kroger. I am in SW Ohio.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Winterchill <winterchill57 wrote:

>

>

> Hey when did you sneak into my freezer :)  I love the gardein.

>

> I also check out the produce area for marked down stuff like sprouts and

> and I love love love Brussel sprouts.

> And sometimes they will group 3 or 4 pieces of fruits and veggies together

> and sell for a buck, I have an eggplant and spaghetti squash that I need

> to fix from the last time I was at Kroger.

>

> I was thinking about using the strawberry tofu in a smoothie but I have to

> say I have never made a smoothie before.

>

> Now if a great time to try it I guess.

>

>

>

> with the outer world.

>

> Goddess Bless.

>

> <%40>

> Tue, February 2, 2010 4:49:50 PM

>

>

> LOL...exactly when did you sneak into my basement and open my freezer??!!!

>

> I just saw the Gardein for the first time last week. Looks interesting.

> Will

> try it when....um, the price gets down to reasonable!

>

> Love to stash away the deli slices, particularly Yves' Pepperoni, for Sub

> sandwiches.

>

> Hmmm....your strawberry tofu sounds like a fruit smoothie to me!

>

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Winterchill

> wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > So it is safe to say you have a freezer full of food that have red and

> > yellow stickers on them that say managers special? Do you go to Kroger a

> > lot?

> >

> >  LOL It drives my dh bonkers but I really save a lot of money this way.

> >

> > I still have 2 packages of soy pudding in the fridge and a whole bunch of

> > packages of gardein and I have a package of strawberry flavored tofu I

> need

> > to figure out what to do with.  My list is too long to post the entire

> thing

> >

> >

> >

> harmony

> >

> > Goddess Bless.

> >

> > Momcat <Momcat55 <Momcat55%40gmail.com> <Momcat55%

> 40gmail.com>>

>

> >

<%40><%

> 40>

> > Tue, February 2, 2010 4:13:56 PM

> >

> >

> > Oh, YES! I also buy the " marked down " foods!

> >

> > My freezer always had various refrigerated items that get marked down

> near

> > the XP date. It's the only way to go....grin...!!

> >

> > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Winterchill

<winterchill57<winterchill57%40>

> <winterchill57%40>>

>

> > wrote:

> >

> > >

> > >

> > > No no no no, I didnt mean for that to look like Krogers owned Whole

> Foods

> > > :)

> > >

> > > Krogers is just an ordinary grocery chain that has tried or is trying

> > > really hard to offer what Whole Foods offers in the way of healthier

> > > and vegetarian offerings.

> > >

> > > And sometimes you can really load up when they do their managers

> > specials,

> > > :) yes i buy marked down food.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > harmony

> > >

> > > Goddess Bless.

> > >

> > > ________________________________

> > > Patricia

<moondreamer64_2000<moondreamer64_2000%40>

> > <moondreamer64_2000%40>

> > > >

> > > To:

<%40><vegetarianspi\

ce%

> 40><%

>

> > 40>

> >

> > > Tue, February 2, 2010 2:24:54 AM

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I didn't know Kroger owned Whole Foods, interesting.

> > >

> > > Patricia

> > >

> > > --- On Mon, 2/1/10, Winterchill <winterchill57@ > wrote:

> > >

> > > Winterchill <winterchill57@ >

> > >

> > > Monday, February 1, 2010, 3:44 PM

> > >

> > > Whole Foods is expensive, contrary to how they try to spin the cost.

> We

> > > have a local chain called Krogers which is a typical grocery store but

> > they

> > > have been trying very hard to stock the same stuff that they have at

> > Whole

> > > Foods.

> > >

> > >

> > harmony

> > >

> > > Goddess Bless.

> > >

> > > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > > Whitney Donohue <donohue (AT) mvdsl (DOT) com>

> > >

> > > Mon, February 1, 2010 5:05:42 PM

> > > RE: Vegan Jambalaya

> > >

> > >

> > > My nearest Whole Foods is an hour away too. And I find it to be

> > expensive.

> > > But, there is a chain in Vegas called Sunflower Market that I am going

> to

> > > check out, and my husband often finds great deals at the Mexican market

> > by

> > > his work. I found fresh pears at the dollar store yesterday--go figure!

> > >

> > > I figure Whole Foods will probably only be for specialty type items

> (like

> > > the Fields Sausage). :)

> > >

> > > Sunny--It is a good philosophy, but when my son was in third grade he

> had

> > a

> > > bit of a speech impediment, so I would have been really limited on what

> I

> > > could eat if I only ate what he could pronounce. :)

> > >

> > > Sodium Tripolyphosphate is a salt...therefore a preservative

> > > Calcium Carbonate--generall y used as a calcium supplement

> > > Oleoresin paprika is a food coloring made from red chiles

> > > Curdlan Gum forms a solid type gel that is used to stabilize some food.

> > > <--This one may be kind of iffy. :)

> > > Konjac powder--this is a thickener made from the root of the konjac

> plant

> > >

> > > I think it is important to know what you are eating--and the only thing

> > > that

> > > I don't know anything about is the Curdlan Gum. I will probably be

> doing

> > > more research on this one...

> > > Whitney

> > >

> > >

> > > Thank you for the " shrimp " info.

> > >

> > > The nearest Whole Foods is about an hour away (but.....only 5 minutes

> > from

> > > my kid's house!) so I will look for it next time I'm in.

> > >

> > > Hmmm....I wonder if, doused with the " cocktail sauce " it would taste

> like

> > > the old shrimp cocktail? YUM!!!!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >