IndiaDivine.org

Dr. Weil's Vitamin D recommendation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am raising my recommendation of 1,000 IU of vitamin D per day to

2,000 IU per day. Since 2005, when I raised it from 400 to 1,000 IU,

clinical evidence has been accumulating to suggest that a higher dose

is more appropriate to help maintain optimum health.

We have known for many years that we need vitamin D to facilitate

calcium absorption and promote bone mineralization. But newer research

has shown that we also need it for protection against a number of

serious diseases. In recent years, scientists have discovered that it

may help to prevent several cancers, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune

disorders, psoriasis, diabetes, psychosis, and respiratory infections

including colds and flu.

To focus particularly on cancer prevention, two recent meta-analyses

(in which data from multiple studies is combined) conducted by the

Moores Cancer Center at the University of California at San Diego and

colleagues suggested that raising blood levels of vitamin D could

prevent one-half of the cases of breast cancer and two-thirds of the

cases of colorectal cancer in the U.S. Discussing the breast cancer

analysis, study author Cedric Garland, Dr.P.H., stated that " The serum

level associated with a 50 percent reduction in risk could be

maintained by taking 2,000 international units of vitamin D3 daily

plus, when the weather permits, spending 10 to 15 minutes a day in the

sun. "

A 50 percent reduction in breast cancer deaths would have saved the lives of

more than 20,000 American women in 2009.

As these meta-analyses suggest, vitamin D deficiency is widespread.

Aside from breast cancer, it is quite likely that hundreds of thousands

of cancers of various kinds worldwide might be prevented each year if

we all were getting enough.

We can get vitamin D through foods such as fortified milk and

cereals as well as eggs, salmon, tuna and mackerel, but the amounts are

not nearly sufficient to lift blood concentrations to optimal levels.

Sun exposure is the best way to get it; ultraviolet rays trigger

vitamin D synthesis in the skin. Factors that decrease the body's

ability to make vitamin D include dark skin, heredity, obesity and

certain medications, including some anti-seizure drugs (check with your

pharmacist). Most significantly, sunscreen blocks vitamin D synthesis

in the skin, and in northern latitudes (above that of Atlanta, Georgia)

the sun is at too low an angle for half the year to provide sufficient

UV radiation.

Low levels of vitamin D in the population as a whole suggest that

most people need to take a vitamin D supplement. This may be especially

true for seniors, as the ability to synthesize vitamin D in the skin

declines with age. Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing

meal to ensure absorption.

Don't be concerned that 2,000 IU will give you too much. With

exposure to sunlight in the summer, the body can generate between

10,000 IU and 20,000 IU of vitamin D per hour with no ill effects. In

addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D

intakes up to 10,000 IU daily.

If you decide to have your vitamin D levels tested, look for results

in the normal range, from 30.0 to 74.0 nanograms of 25-hydroxy vitamin

D per milliliter (ng/mL) of blood. If you are found to be deficient,

your physician can advise you on the best way to raise your blood

concentration into the normal range.

Andrew Weil, M.D., is the founder and director of the Arizona Center for

Integrative Medicine and the editorial director of www.DrWeil.com. Become a fan

on Facebook, follow Dr. Weil on Twitter, and check out Dr. Weil's Daily Health

Tips blog.

#smartLinkGrid2137329825 { width: 540px; } #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title

{font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight:

bold;color: #2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration:

none;background-color:white;}

#smartLinkGrid2137329825-title:hover{text-decoration:underline;}.smartLinkEntry2\

137329825-title{font-family : Arial, Helvetica,

sans-serif;font-size:11px;font-weight: bold;color:

#666666;background-color:white;line-height:13px !important;text-decoration:

none;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-item:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#smartLinkG\

rid2137329825-itemtitle{display:none;}.smartLinkLauncher{cursor: pointer;

vertical-align: middle; margin: 2px 3px 0 0

!important;background:none;padding:0px !important;;border:0px none

!important;max-width:14px;width:14px;} #smartLinkGrid2137329825 div { margin: 0

}Books & More From Dr. Andrew Weil

Patricia

I've heard that D2 isn't as effective as D3, have you heard that?Patricia--- On Wed, 2/10/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Dr. Weil's Vitamin D recommendation Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 12:04 AMI have been keeping an eye on vitamin D research too, and do take a supplement anyway.Vitamin D3 is not vegan, but vitamin D2 is.Jo , Patricia

<moondreamer64_2000 wrote:>> I am raising my recommendation of 1,000 IU of vitamin D per day to> 2,000 IU per day. Since 2005, when I raised it from 400 to 1,000 IU,> clinical evidence has been accumulating to suggest that a higher dose> is more appropriate to help maintain optimum health.> > We have known for many years that we need vitamin D to facilitate> calcium absorption and promote bone mineralization. But newer research> has shown that we also need it for protection against a number of> serious diseases. In recent years, scientists have discovered that it> may help to prevent several cancers, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune> disorders, psoriasis, diabetes, psychosis, and respiratory infections> including colds and flu. > > To focus particularly on cancer prevention, two recent meta-analyses> (in which data from multiple

studies is combined) conducted by the> Moores Cancer Center at the University of California at San Diego and> colleagues suggested that raising blood levels of vitamin D could> prevent one-half of the cases of breast cancer and two-thirds of the> cases of colorectal cancer in the U.S. Discussing the breast cancer> analysis, study author Cedric Garland, Dr.P.H., stated that "The serum> level associated with a 50 percent reduction in risk could be> maintained by taking 2,000 international units of vitamin D3 daily> plus, when the weather permits, spending 10 to 15 minutes a day in the> sun."> > A 50 percent reduction in breast cancer deaths would have saved the lives of more than 20,000 American women in 2009.> > As these meta-analyses suggest, vitamin D deficiency is widespread.> Aside from breast cancer, it is quite likely that hundreds of thousands>

of cancers of various kinds worldwide might be prevented each year if> we all were getting enough.> > We can get vitamin D through foods such as fortified milk and> cereals as well as eggs, salmon, tuna and mackerel, but the amounts are> not nearly sufficient to lift blood concentrations to optimal levels.> Sun exposure is the best way to get it; ultraviolet rays trigger> vitamin D synthesis in the skin. Factors that decrease the body's> ability to make vitamin D include dark skin, heredity, obesity and> certain medications, including some anti-seizure drugs (check with your> pharmacist). Most significantly, sunscreen blocks vitamin D synthesis> in the skin, and in northern latitudes (above that of Atlanta, Georgia)> the sun is at too low an angle for half the year to provide sufficient> UV radiation. > > Low levels of vitamin D in the population as

a whole suggest that> most people need to take a vitamin D supplement. This may be especially> true for seniors, as the ability to synthesize vitamin D in the skin> declines with age. Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing> meal to ensure absorption.> > Don't be concerned that 2,000 IU will give you too much. With> exposure to sunlight in the summer, the body can generate between> 10,000 IU and 20,000 IU of vitamin D per hour with no ill effects. In> addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D> intakes up to 10,000 IU daily. > > If you decide to have your vitamin D levels tested, look for results> in the normal range, from 30.0 to 74.0 nanograms of 25-hydroxy vitamin> D per milliliter (ng/mL) of blood. If you are found to be deficient,> your physician can advise you on the best way to raise your blood>

concentration into the normal range. > > > > Andrew Weil, M.D., is the founder and director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine and the editorial director of www.DrWeil.com. Become a fan on Facebook, follow Dr. Weil on Twitter, and check out Dr. Weil's Daily Health Tips blog.> > > > > #smartLinkGrid2137329825 { width: 540px; } #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title {font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight: bold;color: #2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration: none;background-color:white;} #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title:hover{text-decoration:underline;}.smartLinkEntry2137329825-title{font-family : Arial, Helvetica,

sans-serif;font-size:11px;font-weight: bold;color: #666666;background-color:white;line-height:13px !important;text-decoration: none;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-item:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-itemtitle{display:none;}.smartLinkLauncher{cursor: pointer; vertical-align: middle; margin: 2px 3px 0 0 !important;background:none;padding:0px !important;;border:0px none !important;max-width:14px;width:14px;} #smartLinkGrid2137329825 div { margin: 0 }Books & More From Dr. Andrew Weil> > Patricia>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

D2? D3? Where have I been?? I have just been popping vitamin D in my mouth thinking it was all the same! (My doctor told me I had the beginnings of osteoporosis and I should take vitamin D and Calcium.) Can you help me out with info on this 2/3 thing? Any animal issues I should be aware of before choosing a particular brand here in the States? Appreciate it.(Is it just me or have we been having some GREAT , informative discussions lately? )CynSent via BlackBerry by AT&T "heartwerk" <jo.heartworkWed, 10 Feb 2010 08:04:18 -0000 Re: Dr. Weil's Vitamin D recommendation I have been keeping an eye on vitamin D research too, and do take a supplement anyway.Vitamin D3 is not vegan, but vitamin D2 is.Jo , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:>> I am raising my recommendation of 1,000 IU of vitamin D per day to> 2,000 IU per day. Since 2005, when I raised it from 400 to 1,000 IU,> clinical evidence has been accumulating to suggest that a higher dose> is more appropriate to help maintain optimum health.> > We have known for many years that we need vitamin D to facilitate> calcium absorption and promote bone mineralization. But newer research> has shown that we also need it for protection against a number of> serious diseases. In recent years, scientists have discovered that it> may help to prevent several cancers, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune> disorders, psoriasis, diabetes, psychosis, and respiratory infections> including colds and flu. > > To focus particularly on cancer prevention, two recent meta-analyses> (in which data from multiple studies is combined) conducted by the> Moores Cancer Center at the University of California at San Diego and> colleagues suggested that raising blood levels of vitamin D could> prevent one-half of the cases of breast cancer and two-thirds of the> cases of colorectal cancer in the U.S. Discussing the breast cancer> analysis, study author Cedric Garland, Dr.P.H., stated that " The serum> level associated with a 50 percent reduction in risk could be> maintained by taking 2,000 international units of vitamin D3 daily> plus, when the weather permits, spending 10 to 15 minutes a day in the> sun. " > > A 50 percent reduction in breast cancer deaths would have saved the lives of more than 20,000 American women in 2009.> > As these meta-analyses suggest, vitamin D deficiency is widespread.> Aside from breast cancer, it is quite likely that hundreds of thousands> of cancers of various kinds worldwide might be prevented each year if> we all were getting enough.> > We can get vitamin D through foods such as fortified milk and> cereals as well as eggs, salmon, tuna and mackerel, but the amounts are> not nearly sufficient to lift blood concentrations to optimal levels.> Sun exposure is the best way to get it; ultraviolet rays trigger> vitamin D synthesis in the skin. Factors that decrease the body's> ability to make vitamin D include dark skin, heredity, obesity and> certain medications, including some anti-seizure drugs (check with your> pharmacist). Most significantly, sunscreen blocks vitamin D synthesis> in the skin, and in northern latitudes (above that of Atlanta, Georgia)> the sun is at too low an angle for half the year to provide sufficient> UV radiation. > > Low levels of vitamin D in the population as a whole suggest that> most people need to take a vitamin D supplement. This may be especially> true for seniors, as the ability to synthesize vitamin D in the skin> declines with age. Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing> meal to ensure absorption.> > Don't be concerned that 2,000 IU will give you too much. With> exposure to sunlight in the summer, the body can generate between> 10,000 IU and 20,000 IU of vitamin D per hour with no ill effects. In> addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D> intakes up to 10,000 IU daily. > > If you decide to have your vitamin D levels tested, look for results> in the normal range, from 30.0 to 74.0 nanograms of 25-hydroxy vitamin> D per milliliter (ng/mL) of blood. If you are found to be deficient,> your physician can advise you on the best way to raise your blood> concentration into the normal range. > > > > Andrew Weil, M.D., is the founder and director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine and the editorial director of www.DrWeil.com. Become a fan on Facebook, follow Dr. Weil on Twitter, and check out Dr. Weil's Daily Health Tips blog.> > > > > #smartLinkGrid2137329825 { width: 540px; } #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title {font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight: bold;color: #2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration: none;background-color:white;} #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title:hover{text-decoration:underline;}.smartLinkEntry2137329825-title{font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11px;font-weight: bold;color: #666666;background-color:white;line-height:13px !important;text-decoration: none;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-item:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-itemtitle{display:none;}.smartLinkLauncher{cursor: pointer; vertical-align: middle; margin: 2px 3px 0 0 !important;background:none;padding:0px !important;;border:0px none !important;max-width:14px;width:14px;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825 div { margin: 0 }Books & More From Dr. Andrew Weil> > Patricia>

Yes, and I saw somewhere or other that he had been recommending this increase to

2,00 IU per day for some years. See for e.g. this item dated 30 April 2007:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400196/Becoming-a-Vegan.html

Remember, however, that Dr Weil is not himself vegetarian but pescetarian -

believing it healthier to eat fish two or three times a week. Therefore he is

cautious about both vegetarianism and veganism. There are, however, some

excellent vegetarian and vegan medical doctors who are happy to advise what

should be taken in the way of supplements by vegetarians and vegans. Take, for

e.g., Doctors Joel Fuhrman, John McDougall, Neal Barnard - and there are

several more (although I confess to having a preference for these).

For those who decide to go with a supplement, some may want to consider Vitamin

D2, which is not from animal products.

Good topic!!!

Best,

Pat

, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

>

> I am raising my recommendation of 1,000 IU of vitamin D per day to

> 2,000 IU per day. . . . .

I have heard that – but I wouldn’t use D3 as it is animal

derived.

Jo

On Behalf Of Patricia

10 February 2010 08:12

Re: Re: Dr. Weil's Vitamin D recommendation

I've heard that D2 isn't as effective as D3, have you

heard that?

Patricia

--- On Wed, 2/10/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork

wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

Re: Dr. Weil's Vitamin D recommendation

Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 12:04 AM

I have been keeping an eye on

vitamin D research too, and do take a supplement anyway.

Vitamin D3 is not vegan, but vitamin D2 is.

Jo

Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

>

> 2,000 IU per day. Since 2005, when I raised it from 400 to 1,000 IU,

> clinical evidence has been accumulating to suggest that a higher dose

> is more appropriate to help maintain optimum health.

>

> We have known for many years that we need vitamin D to facilitate

> calcium absorption and promote bone mineralization. But newer research

> has shown that we also need it for protection against a number of

> serious diseases. In recent years, scientists have discovered that it

> may help to prevent several cancers, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune

> disorders, psoriasis, diabetes, psychosis, and respiratory infections

> including colds and flu.

>

> To focus particularly on cancer prevention, two recent meta-analyses

> (in which data from multiple studies is combined) conducted by the

> Moores Cancer Center at the University of California at San Diego and

> colleagues suggested that raising blood levels of vitamin D could

> prevent one-half of the cases of breast cancer and two-thirds of the

> cases of colorectal cancer in the U.S. Discussing the breast cancer

> analysis, study author Cedric Garland, Dr.P.H., stated that " The

serum

> level associated with a 50 percent reduction in risk could be

> maintained by taking 2,000 international units of vitamin D3 daily

> plus, when the weather permits, spending 10 to 15 minutes a day in the

> sun. "

>

> A 50 percent reduction in breast cancer deaths would have saved the

lives of more than 20,000 American women in 2009.

>

> As these meta-analyses suggest, vitamin D deficiency is widespread.

> Aside from breast cancer, it is quite likely that hundreds of thousands

> of cancers of various kinds worldwide might be prevented each year if

> we all were getting enough.

>

> We can get vitamin D through foods such as fortified milk and

> cereals as well as eggs, salmon, tuna and mackerel, but the amounts are

> not nearly sufficient to lift blood concentrations to optimal levels.

> Sun exposure is the best way to get it; ultraviolet rays trigger

> vitamin D synthesis in the skin. Factors that decrease the body's

> ability to make vitamin D include dark skin, heredity, obesity and

> certain medications, including some anti-seizure drugs (check with your

> pharmacist). Most significantly, sunscreen blocks vitamin D synthesis

> in the skin, and in northern latitudes (above that of Atlanta, Georgia)

> the sun is at too low an angle for half the year to provide sufficient

> UV radiation.

>

> Low levels of vitamin D in the population as a whole suggest that

> most people need to take a vitamin D supplement. This may be especially

> true for seniors, as the ability to synthesize vitamin D in the skin

> declines with age. Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing

> meal to ensure absorption.

>

> Don't be concerned that 2,000 IU will give you too much. With

> exposure to sunlight in the summer, the body can generate between

> 10,000 IU and 20,000 IU of vitamin D per hour with no ill effects. In

> addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D

> intakes up to 10,000 IU daily.

>

> If you decide to have your vitamin D levels tested, look for results

> in the normal range, from 30.0 to 74.0 nanograms of 25-hydroxy vitamin

> D per milliliter (ng/mL) of blood. If you are found to be deficient,

> your physician can advise you on the best way to raise your blood

> concentration into the normal range.

>

>

>

> Andrew Weil, M.D., is the founder and director of the Arizona Center for

Integrative Medicine and the editorial director of www.DrWeil.com. Become a

fan on Facebook, follow Dr. Weil on Twitter, and check out Dr. Weil's Daily

Health Tips blog.

>

>

>

>

>

#smartLinkGrid2137329825 { width: 540px; }

#smartLinkGrid2137329825-title {font-family : Arial, Helvetica,

sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight: bold;color: #2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration:

none;background-color:white;} #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title:hover{text-decoration:underline;}.smartLinkEntry2137329825-title{font-family

: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11px;font-weight: bold;color:

none;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-item:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-itemtitle{display:none;}.smartLinkLauncher{cursor:

pointer; vertical-align: middle; margin: 2px 3px 0 0 !important;background:none;padding:0px

!important;;border:0px none !important;max-width:14px;width:14px;}

#smartLinkGrid2137329825 div { margin: 0 }Books & More From Dr. Andrew

Weil

>

> Patricia

>

---

To send an email to -!

Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

I get it through my soya milk with it added  but i think i might start taking vitamins as well as it wouldn't hurt to have extra given I live in scotland and how dark it is here much of the year. D2 though as D3 comes from lanolin, adding D3 to soya milk can be quite common so it is always worth checking that the soya milk is still marked vegan.

Alicia

On 10 February 2010 17:30, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

derived. 

Jo

On Behalf Of Patricia

heard that?

Patricia

wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

Jo

>

>

>

serum

> sun. "

>

>

>

> UV radiation.

>

>

>

>

>

>

Health Tips blog.

>            

>            

>

>        

>          

sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight: bold;color: #2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration:

none;background-color:white;} #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title:hover{text-decoration:underline;}.smartLinkEntry2137329825-title{font-family

none;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-item:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-itemtitle{display:none;}.smartLinkLauncher{cursor:

pointer; vertical-align: middle; margin: 2px 3px 0 0 !important;background:none;padding:0px

Weil

>

> Patricia

>

---

To send an email to -!

Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Alpro is always vegan.

Jo

On Behalf Of Alicia

10 February 2010 18:04

I get it through my soya milk with it

added but i think i might start taking vitamins as well as it wouldn't

hurt to have extra given I live in scotland and how dark it is here much of the

year. D2 though as D3 comes from lanolin, adding D3 to soya milk can be quite common

so it is always worth checking that the soya milk is still marked vegan.

Alicia

I have heard

that – but I wouldn’t use D3 as it is animal derived.

Jo

On Behalf Of Patricia

I've

heard that D2 isn't as effective as D3, have you heard that?

Patricia

wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

I

have been keeping an eye on vitamin D research too, and do take a supplement

anyway.

Jo

, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000

wrote:

>

>

>

serum

> sun. "

>

>

>

> UV radiation.

>

>

>

>

>

>

on Facebook, follow Dr. Weil on Twitter, and check out Dr. Weil's Daily

Health Tips blog.

>

>

>

>

> #smartLinkGrid2137329825

{ width: 540px; } #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title {font-family : Arial,

Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight: bold;color: #2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration:

Weil

>

> Patricia

>

---

To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Although the temp was only 2C I took my hat and gloves off when the sun smiled

on me today. Vitamin D - come on! Of course I should have taken my top off too,

but...

, " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Alpro is always vegan.

>

>

>

> Jo

>

>

>

> On

> Behalf Of Alicia

> 10 February 2010 18:04

>

> Re: Re: Dr. Weil's Vitamin D recommendation

>

>

>

>

>

> I get it through my soya milk with it added but i think i might start

> taking vitamins as well as it wouldn't hurt to have extra given I live in

> scotland and how dark it is here much of the year. D2 though as D3 comes

> from lanolin, adding D3 to soya milk can be quite common so it is always

> worth checking that the soya milk is still marked vegan.

> Alicia

>

>

>

> On 10 February 2010 17:30, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

>

>

> I have heard that - but I wouldn't use D3 as it is animal derived.

>

>

>

> Jo

>

>

>

> On

> Behalf Of Patricia

> 10 February 2010 08:12

>

>

>

>

I've heard that D2 isn't as effective as D3, have you heard that?

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Wed, 2/10/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork

> Re: Dr. Weil's Vitamin D recommendation

>

> Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 12:04 AM

>

> I have been keeping an eye on vitamin D research too, and do take a

> supplement anyway.

>

> Vitamin D3 is not vegan, but vitamin D2 is.

>

> Jo

>

>

> <http://mc/compose?to= > , Patricia

> <moondreamer64_2000@> wrote:

> >

> > I am raising my recommendation of 1,000 IU of vitamin D per day to

> > 2,000 IU per day. Since 2005, when I raised it from 400 to 1,000 IU,

> > clinical evidence has been accumulating to suggest that a higher dose

> > is more appropriate to help maintain optimum health.

> >

> > We have known for many years that we need vitamin D to facilitate

> > calcium absorption and promote bone mineralization. But newer research

> > has shown that we also need it for protection against a number of

> > serious diseases. In recent years, scientists have discovered that it

> > may help to prevent several cancers, cardiovascular disease, autoimmune

> > disorders, psoriasis, diabetes, psychosis, and respiratory infections

> > including colds and flu.

> >

> > To focus particularly on cancer prevention, two recent meta-analyses

> > (in which data from multiple studies is combined) conducted by the

> > Moores Cancer Center at the University of California at San Diego and

> > colleagues suggested that raising blood levels of vitamin D could

> > prevent one-half of the cases of breast cancer and two-thirds of the

> > cases of colorectal cancer in the U.S. Discussing the breast cancer

> > analysis, study author Cedric Garland, Dr.P.H., stated that " The serum

> > level associated with a 50 percent reduction in risk could be

> > maintained by taking 2,000 international units of vitamin D3 daily

> > plus, when the weather permits, spending 10 to 15 minutes a day in the

> > sun. "

> >

> > A 50 percent reduction in breast cancer deaths would have saved the lives

> of more than 20,000 American women in 2009.

> >

> > As these meta-analyses suggest, vitamin D deficiency is widespread.

> > Aside from breast cancer, it is quite likely that hundreds of thousands

> > of cancers of various kinds worldwide might be prevented each year if

> > we all were getting enough.

> >

> > We can get vitamin D through foods such as fortified milk and

> > cereals as well as eggs, salmon, tuna and mackerel, but the amounts are

> > not nearly sufficient to lift blood concentrations to optimal levels.

> > Sun exposure is the best way to get it; ultraviolet rays trigger

> > vitamin D synthesis in the skin. Factors that decrease the body's

> > ability to make vitamin D include dark skin, heredity, obesity and

> > certain medications, including some anti-seizure drugs (check with your

> > pharmacist). Most significantly, sunscreen blocks vitamin D synthesis

> > in the skin, and in northern latitudes (above that of Atlanta, Georgia)

> > the sun is at too low an angle for half the year to provide sufficient

> > UV radiation.

> >

> > Low levels of vitamin D in the population as a whole suggest that

> > most people need to take a vitamin D supplement. This may be especially

> > true for seniors, as the ability to synthesize vitamin D in the skin

> > declines with age. Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing

> > meal to ensure absorption.

> >

> > Don't be concerned that 2,000 IU will give you too much. With

> > exposure to sunlight in the summer, the body can generate between

> > 10,000 IU and 20,000 IU of vitamin D per hour with no ill effects. In

> > addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D

> > intakes up to 10,000 IU daily.

> >

> > If you decide to have your vitamin D levels tested, look for results

> > in the normal range, from 30.0 to 74.0 nanograms of 25-hydroxy vitamin

> > D per milliliter (ng/mL) of blood. If you are found to be deficient,

> > your physician can advise you on the best way to raise your blood

> > concentration into the normal range.

> >

> >

> >

> > Andrew Weil, M.D., is the founder and director of the Arizona Center for

> Integrative Medicine and the editorial director of www.DrWeil.com. Become a

> fan on Facebook, follow Dr. Weil on Twitter, and check out Dr. Weil's Daily

> Health Tips blog.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > #smartLinkGrid2137329825 { width: 540px; }

> #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title {font-family : Arial, Helvetica,

> sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight: bold;color:

> #2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration: none;background-color:white;}

> #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title:hover{text-decoration:underline;}.smartLinkEn

> try2137329825-title{font-family : Arial, Helvetica,

> sans-serif;font-size:11px;font-weight: bold;color:

> #666666;background-color:white;line-height:13px !important;text-decoration:

> none;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-item:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#smartL

> inkGrid2137329825-itemtitle{display:none;}.smartLinkLauncher{cursor:

> pointer; vertical-align: middle; margin: 2px 3px 0 0

> !important;background:none;padding:0px !important;;border:0px none

> !important;max-width:14px;width:14px;} #smartLinkGrid2137329825 div {

> margin: 0 }Books & More From Dr. Andrew Weil

> >

> > Patricia

> >

>

>

>

>

> ---

>

> To send an email to -

> <http://mc/compose?to=- ! Groups

> Links

>

>

> -fullfeatured

> <http://mc/compose?to=-fullfeatured >

>

If it says D2 it is vegan - if it is D3 it won't be. Vitamin D can be as

effective as D3 as long as your body processes it properly - it needs one more

step than D3 in our bodies to work the same.

, " cyn " <cyn84074 wrote:

>

> D2? D3? Where have I been?? I have just been popping vitamin D in my mouth

thinking it was all the same! (My doctor told me I had the beginnings of

osteoporosis and I should take vitamin D and Calcium.) Can you help me out with

info on this 2/3 thing? Any animal issues I should be aware of before choosing a

particular brand here in the States? Appreciate it.

> (Is it just me or have we been having some GREAT , informative discussions

lately? )

> Cyn

> Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

>

>

> " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork

> Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:04:18

>

>

> I have been keeping an eye on vitamin D research too, and do take a supplement

anyway.

>

>

> Jo

>

> , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000@> wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> > analysis, study author Cedric Garland, Dr.P.H., stated that " The serum

> > sun. "

> >

> > A 50 percent reduction in breast cancer deaths would have saved the lives of

more than 20,000 American women in 2009.

> >

> >

> > UV radiation.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

on Facebook, follow Dr. Weil on Twitter, and check out Dr. Weil's Daily Health

Tips blog.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > #smartLinkGrid2137329825 { width: 540px; }

sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight: bold;color:

#2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration: none;background-color:white;}

#smartLinkGrid2137329825-title:hover{text-decoration:underline;}.smartLinkEntry2\

137329825-title{font-family : Arial, Helvetica,

sans-serif;font-size:11px;font-weight: bold;color:

none;}#smartLinkGrid2137329825-item:hover{text-decoration:underline;}#smartLinkG\

rid2137329825-itemtitle{display:none;}.smartLinkLauncher{cursor: pointer;

vertical-align: middle; margin: 2px 3px 0 0

!important;background:none;padding:0px !important;;border:0px none

!important;max-width:14px;width:14px;} #smartLinkGrid2137329825 div { margin: 0

}Books & More From Dr. Andrew Weil

> >

> > Patricia

> >

>

There really isn't enough in soymilk.Patricia--- On Wed, 2/10/10, Alicia <ms.alicia.armstrong wrote:Alicia <ms.alicia.armstrongRe: Re: Dr. Weil's Vitamin D recommendation Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 10:04 AM

I get it through my soya milk with it added but i think i might start taking vitamins as well as it wouldn't hurt to have extra given I live in scotland and how dark it is here much of the year. D2 though as D3 comes from lanolin, adding D3 to soya milk can be quite common so it is always worth checking that the soya milk is still marked vegan.

Alicia

derived.

Jo

On Behalf Of Patricia

heard that?

Patricia

wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

Jo

>

>

>

> analysis, study author Cedric Garland, Dr.P.H., stated that "The

serum

> sun."

>

>

>

> UV radiation.

>

>

>

>

>

>

Health Tips blog.

>

>

>

>

>

Weil

>

> Patricia

>

---

To send an email to -!

Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

/join

( ID required)

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

That's right. There is enough in soymilk to stop people developing rickets, but

having more of it is good as protection against many other ailments.

Jo

, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

>

> There really isn't enough in soymilk.

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Wed, 2/10/10, Alicia <ms.alicia.armstrong wrote:

>

> Alicia <ms.alicia.armstrong

>

> Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 10:04 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I get it through my soya milk with it added  but i think i might start taking

vitamins as well as it wouldn't hurt to have extra given I live in scotland and

how dark it is here much of the year. D2 though as D3 comes from lanolin, adding

D3 to soya milk can be quite common so it is always worth checking that the soya

milk is still marked vegan.

>

>

> Alicia

>

>

>

> On 10 February 2010 17:30, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I have heard that †" but I wouldn’t use D3 as it is animal

> derived. 

>

>  

>

> Jo

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

> On Behalf Of Patricia

>

> 10 February 2010 08:12

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>  

>

>

>

>

> heard that?

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

>

>

> --- On Wed, 2/10/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork

> wrote:

>

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork

>

>

>

>

> Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 12:04 AM

>

> I have been keeping an eye on

> vitamin D research too, and do take a supplement anyway.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Jo

>

>

>

> ,

> Patricia <moondreamer64_2000@> wrote:

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> > analysis, study author Cedric Garland, Dr.P.H., stated that " The

> serum

>

>

>

>

> > sun. "

>

> >

>

> > A 50 percent reduction in breast cancer deaths would have saved the

> lives of more than 20,000 American women in 2009.

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> > UV radiation.

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> Integrative Medicine and the editorial director of www.DrWeil.com. Become a

> fan on Facebook, follow Dr. Weil on Twitter, and check out Dr. Weil's Daily

> Health Tips blog.

>

> >            

>    

>

> >            

>

> >

>

> >        

>

> >          

>    #smartLinkGrid2137329825 { width: 540px; }

> #smartLinkGrid2137329825-title {font-family : Arial, Helvetica,

> sans-serif;font-size:15px;font-weight: bold;color:

#2d648a;line-height:18px;text-decoration:

> none;background-color:white;}

137329825-title{font-family

> : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11px;font-weight: bold;color:

> #666666;background-color:white;line-height:13px !important;text-decoration:

>

rid2137329825-itemtitle{display:none;}.smartLinkLauncher{cursor:

> pointer; vertical-align: middle; margin: 2px 3px 0 0

!important;background:none;padding:0px

> !important;;border:0px none !important;max-width:14px;width:14px;}

> #smartLinkGrid2137329825 div { margin: 0 }Books & More From Dr. Andrew

> Weil

>

> >

>

> > Patricia

>

> >