IndiaDivine.org

Recipe for Roasted Vegetables

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share a recipe for roasted veggies that I and my family LOVE!

(This is from Edward Taubbs book Balance Your Body, Balance Your Life. This is what put me on the road to being a vegetarian and gave me a view on how it betters your life along with animals lives and human lives. Ok Ok enough rambling here it is......)

While these vegetables roast in a balsamic marinade, your kitchen will become remarkably fragrant. The vinegar draws out the vegetables' subtle flavors. Vegetables never tasted so good!

Makes 2 Servings (I have to double and triple this recipe for the eight of us that I feed and it turns out fine)

1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 tsp salt

1 tablespoon rosemary

1 cup mushrooms, halved

1 cup green beans broken in half

1 med onion sliced

1 med sweet potato, peeled and cut in large chunks

1 large carrot peeled and cut in large chunks

5 cloves garlic peeled

1. Preheat oven to 450

2. Prepare marinade in a large bowl, combining vinegar, oil, salt, and rosemary.

3. Add vegetables (including garlic) to the marinade and coat evenly.

4. Spread vegetables out in a shallow baking pan and pour marinade on top.

5. Roast vegetables for 35-40 minutes (or until sweet potato is soft), stirring occasionally. Vegetables are done when they are a warm brown, caramel like color.

This is good with crusty French bread or over basmati rice.

Zucchini, red or green bell peppers, and Roma tomatoes roast well.

My kiddos LOVE these. I never thought I would be able to eat vegetables. My mom didn't cook them while I was growing up. It has been an adventure for me to learn to cook! :) Hope this helps someone!

-

Dobson, Deborah

' '

Tuesday, November 07, 2000 11:10 PM

RE: roasted veggies was Thanksgiving

Hi Felice,

I usually spray or brush a tray with oil place the veg on the trays and then sray the veg. Spray(olive oil) is a lot lower in fat than brushing. I bake them for about 45min to 1hr (depends on how well done you like them) at 200 degrees (celcius) and I don't usually turn them. It can pay to put the potatoes in first as they take the longest. I also like to sprinkle rosemary, etc on the potatoes. I usually do potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, onion, zucchini, carrot, parsnip green peas etc. Hope this helps.

Deb

clarkepf [clarkepf] Tuesday, 7 November 2000 16:44 Re: roasted veggies was Thanksgiving

In a message dated 11/1/00 5:13:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, deborah.dobson writes:

<< My family (that is my parents) used to always love big roasts but now that my husband, child and I are veggies we just have the veggies roasted. That is brush (or spray) with oil and place on tray and cook in a hot oven served with veggie gravy. It was always my favourite bit. I usuallly do about 6 -8 different typres. Deb D >> Ded, I have not tried this yet can you help a little with all the details.How high is the oven set to,do you need to turn them over and how long?Thanks for the info.I have always steamed so this is new. Felice

-------------------------- eGroups Sponsor -------------------------~-~> eLerts It's Easy. It's Fun. Best of All, it's Free! http://click./1/9699/1/_/_/_/973604086/ ---_->

For more information about vegetarianism, please visit the VRG website at http://www.vrg.org and for materials especially useful for families go to http://www.vrg.org/family.