IndiaDivine.org

THE MOUNTAIN PATH April 1964

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ahad

By Arthur Osborne

Before the beginning He was,Beyond the ending He is,Hidden in the heart of man,Flared forth in a myriad stars and a bird's song.Unchanged and unbegun,Unfellowed, He, the One,The All He is, the Alone,

Wanderer of the Deep

By Haridranath Chattopadhyaya

Not on the surface shall the truth be foundNor in the mind with transient knowledge crownedBut in the deepest depths where, more and more,Thy Beauty stands revealed. Of time unboundAnd of the sense of distance, I exploreLayer upon layer of mysteries that lieDown at the deep heart's core,A rosered fountain which forever playsIts jetting music under a still skyEchoing into the dawnlight of our days.Deeper and deeper do I seek and findSuch glories as would blindThe body's eyes. The lonely archetypeOf each creation, young and everfresh,Warms the enchanted self into a ripeSensation as of autumn in the fleshMellowing in lambent airHighhung above the zone of spiritmindA loneliness, a naked space, a wideExpectancy of Naught on every sideBrimful of unborn multitudes which seemWrought in the process of the Master's dream,A floating breath of fragrance, sovereign lapseInto remembering forgetfulnessGrown inarticulate. Faint mountaincapsEngirt with distant snows austerely riseTo meet the cool highwandering state of eyesTingling out of the solitary stressOf the creative sleep.I move between two moments, winged and strongAnd as a silence between song and song,A wandering spirit wedded to the deep!

Song of Mediation

By Hakuin

Hakuin, 1685-1768, was the most influential Rinzai Zen Master of recent times. His 'Song of Meditation' or Zazen Wasan is chanted before formal lectures in Zen monasteries. This translation of it was specifically made for The Mountain Path by the American poet Gary Snyder.

Living beings—Buddhas from the first.Without beings, no Buddhas.Not knowing how near, men seek it far off.—like living in water—and crying of thirst—like a rich man's child—lost in a poor town.The karma of travelling the six realmsIs the dark road of your own ignorance.Always walking the dark roadWhen will you leave samsara?

This samadhi of the MahayanaIs great beyond praise.The paramitas of morality and charity,Nembutsu, repentance, and ascesis,All sorts of good practiceAre contained within it.

A man who gains the merit of but one meditationDestroys the gathered errors of a lifetime.When the evil realms are homelessThe pure land can't be far.How grateful is the manWhose ear once hears the Law.

Praise and adorationGain great good fortuneBut one who turns towards thisProves his true self directlyTrue self is no-self— this is not idle talk —Cause and effect are one;— this opens the gate —No twos or three, the road is straight.

Form of the formless is the form.To go or come — no different placeThought of the thoughtless is the thought,Song and dance the Dharma's voice.Samadhi is an open sky,Four Wisdoms moon is bright and clear —What can there be left to seekFor total stillness has appearedThis very place is the Lotus LandThis very bodyBuddha.

To Sri Ramana Maharshi*

By Dilip Kumar Roy

A face that's still, like silent cloudless blue,And eyes that even as stars drip holinessWon from a source beyond our ken — a newMessenger Thou, in this age, of a grace

Men ache for and, withal, are terrifiedWhen it shines near — wan puppets of fool senses,That would disown the soul's faith — even derideThe Peace they crave yet fear — for Life's false dances

And siren rhythms beguile the multitude!And there they woo Time's whirls and wheels — for what?At best a reeling moment — an interludeOf half-lit laughter dogged by tears — of Fate

O Son of Dawn! who only knowest the Sun,And through His eye of Light see'st all that liesRevealed — a flawless plenitude which noneBut Son's own children ever might surmise

For only the chosen few so far have wonThe Truth that shines beyond world's wounds and criesWho see Thee throned in high dominionOf Self's invulnerable Verities.__________________

* From the Golden Jubilee Souvenir, Sri Ramanasramam, 1946.

You are the pure immutable Essence, formless and deathless. How then can you say that you know this or do not know that about the Atma?

- Avadhuta Gita, 1, 24.

When a pot breaks, the space that was enclosed in it merges with universal space; similarly, when the mind becomes pure only the immaculate Atma remains. No differentiation whatever is then seen.

- Avadhuta Gita, 1, 30.

Neither those who seek Identity nor those who seek duality know the Immutable Essence which is free from both.

- Avadhuta Gita, 1, 35.

This knowledge is direct: it is so very plain. God is in our grasp, but we have no experience.

- Tukaram.

My speech is silence: dying I live. Existing I do not exist among the people. In enjoyment is my renunciation, in association detachment. I have broken all bonds and ligatures. Tuka says: I am not what I appear to be. Ask Panduranga (God) if you have anything to ask.

- Tukaram.

For him who has himself become God all people are God.

- Tukaram.

Human birth is a rare gift. It is difficult to obtain it over again.

- Bhakta Mira.

You should always be engaged in worshipping Him. How can an alien thought then find a place in your mind?

- Bhakta Mira.

Woo poverty. It is the great matchmaker between you and God.

- Bhakta Mira.