IndiaDivine.org

THE MOUNTAIN PATH JULY 1964

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ramana Sad-Guru

By G. L. N.

Sri Bhagavan has said of Arunachala in his 'Padikam' ('Eleven Verses on Sri Arunachala'): "My Lord! when anyone asks me of Your greatness You hold me motionless like a statue, with bowed head." Similarly do I find that my mind falls numb when I would write about Bhagavan Sri Ramana.

Who is our Arunachala Ramana? He himself gave the answer when he wrote: "In the recess of the lotus-heart of all, from Vishnu downwards, there shines as pure Consciousness the Paramatman who is the same as Arunachala or Ramana."*_________________________* The Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi, page 98 in the Rider's edition, page 110 in the Sri Ramanasramam edition.

Sri Bhagavan was gracious enough to refer to this once when I was taking leave of him to return to my native place. He said: "Have you seen this morning's mail? Someone has written that Arunachala Ramana is everywhere, so that whenever he has an urge to come here that feeling makes him postpone his visit."

Humbly I replied expressing my own point of view, which was quite different from that expressed in the letter: "Bhagavan, in this body I have realized you in your divine form as my Guru, my Bhagavan. Once having seen you, neither I nor any other can shake off the feeling of love for your divine form."

At that time I was attending to the Ashram correspondence. I drafted a reply to the letter in question, showed it to Bhagavan for his approval and sent it off.* His remark about this letter must have been his parting message to me, as it turned out that this was to be the last time I ever saw him._________________________* Bhagavan never wrote letters himself. All letters were answered punctually, the same day, the replies being drafted in the office and submitted to him for his approval or correction. (Editor).

Sri Bhagavan also affirmed his universal nature in the following manner in his benedictory verse to 'Atma Sakshatkara', which he translated into Tamil: "Atma Sakshatkara, which was taught by Ishwara,* to his son Guha, is now propounded in Tamil by that same Lord, the Dweller within me, the Ancient, the Supreme."**_________________________* The Personal God. ** The Collected Works, pp. 106/121.

The power of Bhagavan is eternal and above all siddhis (supernatural powers). A siddhi is transient, but Bhagavan is a Healer whose cure is permanent. He kindles aspiration in the heart of those who come to him oblivious of their eternal nature, turns their mind inward with the enquiry 'Who am I?' and helps them to realize the Self for whom the word 'I' stands.

The main type of upadesa (instruction) used by Bhagavan is Silence, as it was with Dakshinamurti* of old. Divine bliss permeated those who sat around him. In this silence the doubts of his devotees are cleared up and their questions are either answered or fade away and cease to appear necessary. This silence is a dynamic force, eternal and universal in nature._________________________* Siva manifested as a youthful Guru with elderly disciples whom he taught in Silence.

Nevertheless, though universal, it is centred at the Ashram where he lived, at Tiruvannamalai, at Arunachala, the spiritual centre of the world. Here again there are the two points of view, both true although apparently contradictory.

Sri Ramana's Grace acts always, but, inscrutably and in diverse ways. We find his gracious and profound utterances in the small volume of his Collected Works, in collections of his reported sayings and in books about him. That is food for the mind, but when the mind is turned inwards by the enquiry 'Who am I?' he is there in the heart, ever watchful, ever helpful. He does not allow the soul to get drowned but draws it mercifully to his eternal abode.* Sometimes he appears in dreams and visions, blessing and encouraging his old devotees and others too who never saw him in the body._________________________* An allusion to his 'Necklet of Nine Gems', verse 9.

In 'The Marital Garland of Letters to Sri Arunachala' he wrote: "Mere thought of Thee has drawn me to Thee, Oh Arunachala." Alluding to this once, I said, "Bhagavan, the thought of Arunachala drew you here, but is it not still more wonderful that you drew us here, who had never heard of you, and lopped off our ego?"

His answer was his usual gracious and benign smile.

Sri Ramana is an ocean of nectar teeming with kindliness. He is gracious and forgiving. Were he to dwell on our slips and faults we would be lost, but, ignoring them, he still guides us. He instills hope when we are dejected and stretches out his supporting hand to lead us towards the goal. The only things required of us are perseverance and faith in him.