> Sensational " , etc., that he eats animals because he feels more

connected to

> them than when he was vegan (!)

>

> http://www.generationv.org/2006/02/27/it_was_pretentious

>

> It really reinforced to me that although restaurants may be all

vegetarian

> or vegan, the people that work or run the restaurant may not be.

This ties

> in with what NJ was saying about wait staff at restaurants not

always being

> caring about our questions about what's vegan or what's not vegan.

>

> Cheers,

> Tammy

>

> Map it Veg!

>

> <http://www.frappr.com/baveg> http://www.frappr.com/baveg

>

> http://www.frappr.com/veg <blocked::http://www.frappr.com/vegetarians>

> etarians

>

>

>

> ____

>

>

> " This is my protest against the conduct of the world. To be a

vegetarian is

> to disagree--to disagree with the course of things today.

Starvation, world

> hunger, cruelty, waste, wars--we must make a statement against these

things.

> Vegetarianism is my statement and I think it's a strong one. "

> -- Isaac Bashevis Singer

>

Guest guest

Becca wrote: "remember you can't (and shouldn't) discriminate against someone in the hiring process because they're not vegetarian/vegan" As a legal matter, a restaurant (or any employer) can choose to hire, or not hire, or fire an employee because he/she is vegetarian, vegan, or a meat-eater. "Discrimination" is legally prohibited only if it is discrimination based on a "protected category," which includes sex, race, disability, etc., but not eating choices. A steak restaurant could refuse to employ a vegan, and might do so on the assumption that the vegan would not "sell" steaks to customers in the way the restaurant would like. Cafe Gratitude could also choose to employ only waiters who are completely committed to the type of food the restaurant sells. I've been told by a buser at Millenium (in the presence of my meat-eating

friend) that it's "too hard" to be vegetarian and by a waiter at Herbivore that he needs to eat meat because he wants to be muscular (but see http://www.idausa.org/kgw_frame.html). I think it's unfortunate that these employees may actually discourage non-veg customers who are open-minded enough to try the restaurant from trying to make a lifestyle change as well. So whether a veg restaurant "shouldn't" attempt to hire only veggie folk is not so clear to me. Thea

Mail

Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

Guest guest

I certainly would not assume workers in vegetarian restaurants to all be vegetarians. As long as they are knowledgable, i do not think this is a problem. One of my favorite assistants that i use for my vegan personal chef and catering business is not a vegetarian. Why do i hire her? Because she is a great cook and extremely knowledgable about vegan and vegetarian cuisine, a wonderful worker and a fine person to be around. She has her own reasons for why she chooses not to be vegetarian and i do not have any interest in preaching to her or trying to convert her. phil http://philipgelb.com

Guest guest

I think it's kind of ridiculous that a vegan/vegetarian restaurant would hire meat-eaters. But it's even more ridiculous that waitstaff actually discuss their eating preferences with customers. If they're working in a vegan restaurant wouldn't you think they'd know to keep their diets to themselves? Personally, I would prefer to have a vegan/vegetarian waiter, however, if they aren't, I really don't care to know about it. I think it's best to refrain from getting into personal conversations with waitstaff. Cheers - Moya Thea Langsam <thea_langsam wrote: Becca wrote: "remember you can't (and shouldn't) discriminate against someone in the hiring process because they're not vegetarian/vegan" As a legal

matter, a restaurant (or any employer) can choose to hire, or not hire, or fire an employee because he/she is vegetarian, vegan, or a meat-eater. "Discrimination" is legally prohibited only if it is discrimination based on a "protected category," which includes sex, race, disability, etc., but not eating choices. A steak restaurant could refuse to employ a vegan, and might do so on the assumption that the vegan would not "sell" steaks to customers in the way the restaurant would like. Cafe Gratitude could also choose to employ only waiters who are completely committed to the type of food the restaurant sells. I've been told by a buser at Millenium (in the presence of my meat-eating friend) that it's "too hard" to be vegetarian and by a waiter at Herbivore that he needs to eat meat because he wants to be muscular (but see http://www.idausa.org/kgw_frame.html). I think it's unfortunate that these employees may actually discourage non-veg customers who are open-minded enough to try the restaurant from trying to make a lifestyle change as well. So whether a veg restaurant "shouldn't" attempt to hire only veggie folk is not so clear to me. Thea MailBring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

Our first duty to our little brothers and sisters, the animals, is never to do them any harm. Our responsibilities do not end there, however. We are obligated to help them whenever they require it. – Saint Francis

Guest guest

Imagine you're at a Nike store, and the salesclerk

tells you that he prefers Adidas; that he used to wear

Nike but they just didn't cut it for him so he

switched to Adidas. What do you think the management's

reaction would be to this?

In Buffalo (where I used to live) there's a GM plant

and a Ford plant. You would never, ever find a Ford in

the GM lot or a Chevy in the Ford lot.

Go to a Ralph Lauren store. See how many salespeople

are wearing Polo clothes and how many are wearing

Tommy clothes.

It's called eating your own dogfood. I think a

vegetarian/vegan restaurant _should_ try to hire only

veg*ans if they can; given the chance, one should

economically support your own community. At the very

least, the servers should not be discussing their own

eating habits if they're not veg*an.

Ajay

--- Philip Gelb <phil wrote:

> I certainly would not assume workers in vegetarian

> restaurants to all be vegetarians. As long as they

> are knowledgable, i do not think this is a problem.

>

> One of my favorite assistants that i use for my

> vegan personal chef and catering business is not a

> vegetarian. Why do i hire her? Because she is a

> great cook and extremely knowledgable about vegan

> and vegetarian cuisine, a wonderful worker and a

> fine person to be around. She has her own reasons

> for why she chooses not to be vegetarian and i do

> not have any interest in preaching to her or trying

> to convert her.

>

> phil

>

> http://philipgelb.com

>

Guest guest

Of course, one should not hire people who are clueless! i have 3 assistants i work with for larger gigs. 2 are vegans like me, one is not a vegetarian. The non vegetarian never discusses her eating habits with clients as she is quite intelligient and would never do something as silly as saying some of the things that others have mentioned on this list that they have witnessed at veggie restaurants. I have no problem working with her nor have any of our clients thus i will continue to hire her. If i had a vegan restaurant and heard a waiter said he is not a vegan because he wants to build muscle, i would certainly not keep that person on staff. Then again, i would hope in the interview process, one would weed out the clueless and uneducated from even starting to work in such an establishment phil http://philipgelb.comAjay

<ajayboots wrote: Imagine you're at a Nike store, and the salesclerktells you that he prefers Adidas; that he used to wearNike but they just didn't cut it for him so heswitched to Adidas. What do you think the management'sreaction would be to this?In Buffalo (where I used to live) there's a GM plantand a Ford plant. You would never, ever find a Ford inthe GM lot or a Chevy in the Ford lot. Go to a Ralph Lauren store. See how many salespeopleare wearing Polo clothes and how many are wearingTommy clothes.It's called eating your own dogfood. I think avegetarian/vegan restaurant _should_ try to hire onlyveg*ans if they can; given the chance, one shouldeconomically support your own community. At the veryleast, the servers should not be discussing their owneating habits if they're

not veg*an.Ajay--- Philip Gelb wrote:> I certainly would not assume workers in vegetarian> restaurants to all be vegetarians. As long as they> are knowledgable, i do not think this is a problem.> > One of my favorite assistants that i use for my> vegan personal chef and catering business is not a> vegetarian. Why do i hire her? Because she is a> great cook and extremely knowledgable about vegan> and vegetarian cuisine, a wonderful worker and a> fine person to be around. She has her own reasons> for why she chooses not to be vegetarian and i do> not have any interest in preaching to her or trying> to convert her.> > phil> > http://philipgelb.com>

• 10 months later...

Come visit our new cafe in San Rafael

San Rafael Cafe Gratitude

2200 4th Street

Grand Opening Party:

Sat., Feb. 10th, 8pm - 10pm

Grand Opening, Mon. Feb. 12th, 10am - 10pm