IndiaDivine.org

September 2009 VegNewsletter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

VegNews Magazine Sep 10, 2009 9:34 PM ebbrewpunx September 2009 VegNewsletter

September '09The VegNewsletter arrives in your e-mailbox just once a month and clues you in on vegetarian news, dining, recipes, products, activist alerts, reviews, culture, giveaways, and all the other good things in life.

In This IssueBack to BasicsV in the NewsWhat's Hot on VegNews.comEvent ShowcaseQuinoa + Sweet Potato TimbaleProduct ReviewProject PromoteBook Bash!VegNewsletter Preview

Great Big Food IssueAll the food that's fit to eat is what you'll find in the pages of our yearly food issue.

Our BlogsCafé VegNewsPress PassThis Just In

Our WebsiteVegNews.com

Find Us OnFacebookMySpaceTwitter

Back to Basics

Ah, fall. While it's still technically warm enough to count as summer in most places, we know that autumn is just around the corner, with its colorful leaves and crisp air ready to go. If there's anything better than cozying up with a magazine this time of year, we don't even want to know about it.

V in the News

Timely ExposéA recent Time article gets to the root of America’s cheap-food addiction: the meat industry. Bryan Walsh candidly discusses the “food industry’s degradation of animal life†and the fact that one dollar can buy 1,200 calories of potato chips versus 250 calories of vegetables or a measly 170 calories of fruit. Considering all the vegetables cycled through farmed animals to produce meat, something is definitely wrong here!

Prison CompassionThanks to the Vegan Prisoners Support Group, UK prisoners now have a right to vegan products. Soymilk, dairy-free yogurt, chocolate bars, and soy-based protein as well as vegan soap, shampoo, and moisturizer will be available to order from Holland & Barrett and Honesty Cosmetics. While some products, like cellulite oil, might not seem strictly necessary, VPSG has also ensured that inmates have access to more crucial items like soymilk and nuts.

What's Hot on VegNews.com

You know what's hip? The internets. Here are our top three picks for hot VN.com stories you should probably check out right about now.1. Vegan Fashion Takeover The word on all fashion-lovers' lips this season is "vegan." We brought together three top cruelty-free designers to talk trends, materials, and how the world of veg style is evolving.2. Campus Chow Think going back to school means starving for another semester? Think again. College campuses all over the country are offering more and more veg options.3. Vote-O-Rama! Want to weigh in on all of the VN.com polls? Here's our whole collection, which just might get you addicted. See what our other readers think on pressing issues, like whether or not to date an omnivore and what base—soymilk, coconut milk, or hemp milk—makes the best ice cream.

Event Showcase

DC VegFestThis awesome, yearly one-day festival will be held on September 12, and features fab speakers, incredible food, and plenty of perks. Oh, and maybe DC's mayor made a formal welcoming statement to all who are participating. Next stop, keys to the city!

Gala Goes On!Despite having to evacuate due to the fires in Southern California, the Animal Acres Gala will be held on September 12 at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades. The black-tie affair will be emceed by Hal Sparks and catered by Madeleine Bistro, which means it's sure to be a blast.

Fashion in ActionAs you probably already know, Vaute Couture makes veganism look good, and this month the indie label is pairing up with Mercy for Animals. Join the two groups in Chicago on the 14th, when $100 will be donated to MFA for every Bomono, Pea, or El style coat ordered.

SnackFest ’09Hello, big fat vegan festival! There’s food and fun to be had at Portland’s largest vegetarian shindig, VegFest. Celebrate the festival's fifth anniversary on September 19 with renowned speakers like Kathy Freston, and tons of super snacks. We're just saying, Coconut Bliss will be there. Just saying!

Get Cookin'

Quinoa and Sweet Potato Timbale

It's possible that we're pretty freaking excited about Chef Tal Ronnen's The Conscious Cook, due out next month. We recently got a copy in the office and have been feverishly passing it around, drooling over the gorgeous photography and incredible-looking recipes. Naturally, the best thing to do at a time like this is test out the 75 rockin' recipes, and this yummy quinoa salad is about the fanciest little thing we've ever seen.

Serves 4

What You Need:For the quinoa:1 cup quinoa, cooked in vegetable stock according to package directions and cooled to room temperature½ jalapeño, minced1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oilJuice of 1 limeSalt and freshly ground black pepper to tasteFor the sweet potatoes:1 sweet potato, peeled and ½-inch diced2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oilSea salt and freshly ground black pepperFor the dressing:2 tomatillos in olive oil, skins removed3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil1 tablespoon rice vinegar¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro1 teaspoon light agave nectarFor the tortilla strips:Canola oil2 corn tortillas, cut into ¼-inch strips1 teaspoon Cajun seasoningTo serve:2 avocados, dicedMicrogreens

What You Do:1. In a medium bowl, place all of the quinoa ingredients and toss to combine. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, or until soft in the middle and lightly browned.2. Lower oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, toss tomatillos with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, add vinegar, cilantro, and agave nectar, and pulse to combine. With the motor running, pour in remaining olive oil in a thin stream and continue blending until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.3. Into a small, heavy pot add 2 inches canola oil, and heat until oil shimmers. Add tortilla strips and fry until crisp and browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning.4. Place a 3-inch ring mold in the center of a salad plate. Fill with ¼ of the quinoa mixture and press down to pack the mold, smoothing the top. Place ¼ of the sweet potato pieces on top of the quinoa and press down gently. Top with ¼ of the avocado and press down gently. Carefully remove the mold. Repeat on the remaining salad plates.5. Carefully place 2 tortilla strips parallel to each other about 1 inch apart on top of each timbale. Place 2 more tortilla strips perpendicular on top of those. Top with microgreens and drizzle dressing around the timbales.

Product Review

Coconut Bliss Bars

It's not often that a company's name is a fully accurate description of its products, but Coconut Bliss has pretty much nailed it. The recently released line of coconut and chocolate ice cream bars make us all swoony. Or, as one staffer said, "these are like soft serve on a stick!" Yeah, we like that. For the soy-free set, good news! These bars are deliciously devoid of soy.

Project Promote

Here at VegNews, we understand the importance of effectively promoting vegetarian businesses and organizations. After nearly 10 years in business, we know how vital it is to get the word out about the great work you and your team are doing. This is why we're thrilled to announce the 3rd annual Project Promote program. VegNews will be awarding a one-year advertising campaign (including professional design services) to the organization our staff feels will most benefit from the exposure. The group must promote vegetarianism to be considered, and the advertising package is valued at more than $7,000. To be considered, simply download an application and submit it by Thursday, October 1. The 2010 Project Promote winner will be announced by October 15. Good luck!

Book Bash!

Do you like feeling like a rock star? Want to give people the impression that you are close personal friends with one of the best-loved vegan cookbook authors of all time? Then get ye one of our stash of signed copies of Sarah Kramer's Vegan à Go-Go! for only $15 a pop, including shipping! You could get, like, two of them, and tell people that Sarah herself absolutely insisted on signing more than one for you. We won't tell!

Preview: October VegNewsletter

Satisfy your between-issues cravings with this complimentary supplement, featuring exclusive product reviews, musician, artist and event spotlights, slammin’ recipes, giveaways, plus the lowdown on how vegetarianism is bettering the world—one delicious bite at a time.

Share the VegNewsletter with your friends. Or, if it was forwarded to you, sign up yourself at vegnews.com to join the thousands of readers who are tuning in to America’s hottest vegetarian publication.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this message with "Un" in the subject line or simply click on the following link: Un

Click here to forward this email to a friend

VegNews MagazineSan Francisco, CASubscription hotline:760-291-1546

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy.

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

There are already many signs of autumn here - about half the trees are turning

colour, and there is that chill in the air morning and evening - and a certain

autumny smell. Autumn is my favourite time of year.

The Vegan prisoners support group does a marvellous job here. Apparently they

visit new prisoners to find out if they are getting the vegan food and supplies

that they need, and supply them with toiletries etc.

Mine too! I feel more alive in the autumm, and extremely creative compared to the rest of the year.

Opalline

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Yes me too - not that I am very creative at the best of times!

I always feel more like planning and arranging things in the autumn than at any

other time of year.

Jo

, " Underwood-Fowler Cindy " <CDUFOWLER

wrote:

>

> Mine too! I feel more alive in the autumm, and extremely creative

> compared to the rest of the year.

> Opalline

>

>

>

> " This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the

> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,

> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has

> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. "

>

> " Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is

> subject to monitoring and auditing. "

>

a tomatillo is related to tomato

it is small tomato like fruit which is covered by a paperlike covering called a calyx.

they are generally greenish, but can come in a variety of other colors.

AFAIK they are used mainly in things like Salsa Verde and other mexican/latin american dishes. i've made different salsas and sauces with em in the past.

heartwerk Sep 11, 2009 2:47 AM Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

The quinoa and sweet potato recipe looks good what is a tomatillo - is it like a tomato?Jo

fall just means winter is coming. bleh!

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 11, 2009 4:55 AM RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Mine too! I feel more alive in the autumm, and extremely creative compared to the rest of the year.

Opalline

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

I feel like you do. Autumn is so beautiful, but the joy is marred by the coming of winter. I wish it could last longer.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 8:26 AM

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 11, 2009 4:55 AM RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Opalline

Thanks Fraggle - I don't think I've seen them at all.

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, September 11, 2009 4:19 PM

Re: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

a tomatillo is related to tomato

it is small tomato like fruit which is covered by a paperlike covering called a calyx.

they are generally greenish, but can come in a variety of other colors.

AFAIK they are used mainly in things like Salsa Verde and other mexican/latin american dishes. i've made different salsas and sauces with em in the past.

heartwerk Sep 11, 2009 2:47 AM Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

The quinoa and sweet potato recipe looks good what is a tomatillo - is it like a tomato?Jo

LOL - but followed by another spring and summer :-)

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, September 11, 2009 4:26 PM

RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Opalline

It's mine, too, I just want it to last much longer.Patricia--- On Thu, 9/10/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 11:43 PMThere are already many signs of autumn here - about half the trees are turning colour, and there is that chill in the air morning and evening - and a certain autumny smell. Autumn is my favourite time of year.---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

i reside in california....

autumn means the rains are coming. great for many things. but horrible for us fraggles on our bikes as the oil rises up from the road and no one can see you and and and and...

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 2:12 PM RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

I feel like you do. Autumn is so beautiful, but the joy is marred by the coming of winter. I wish it could last longer.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 8:26 AM

Opalline

Isn't No.CA pretty in the fall?Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:58 PM

autumn means the rains are coming. great for many things. but horrible for us fraggles on our bikes as the oil rises up from the road and no one can see you and and and and...

I feel like you do. Autumn is so beautiful, but the joy is marred by the coming of winter. I wish it could last longer.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter@gro ups.comFriday, September 11, 2009, 8:26 AM

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 11, 2009 4:55 AM @gro ups.com RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Opalline

HOw's your leg nowadays Fraggle?

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, September 11, 2009 9:58 PM

I feel like you do. Autumn is so beautiful, but the joy is marred by the coming of winter. I wish it could last longer.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 8:26 AM

Opalline

the bay area?

if the trees are deciduos and lose their leaves, they generally turn yellow and brown and fall off

our oak trees are evergreens, their leaves stay on year round

early fall is the worse generally because it usually is our time of highest fire danger.

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 5:38 PM RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Isn't No.CA pretty in the fall?Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:58 PM

I feel like you do. Autumn is so beautiful, but the joy is marred by the coming of winter. I wish it could last longer.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter@gro ups.comFriday, September 11, 2009, 8:26 AM

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 11, 2009 4:55 AM @gro ups.com RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Opalline

comes and goes

just like the back. i never found anyone who could take care of my pinched nerve. it just "went away" when we were in europe. it twinges now and again, which just means i can't read for awhile (looking down at a book is hell on me at times)

and with winter coming, yay, the return of arthritis!

see..winter sucks!

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

"jo.heartwork" Sep 11, 2009 6:42 PM Re: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Jo

-

fraggle

Opalline

Where I live now, we have several large maple trees, but wouldn't you know, they don't change colors. The leaves just turn brown and fall off. Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 6:40 PM

the bay area?

if the trees are deciduos and lose their leaves, they generally turn yellow and brown and fall off

early fall is the worse generally because it usually is our time of highest fire danger.

Isn't No.CA pretty in the fall?Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter@gro ups.comFriday, September 11, 2009, 1:58 PM

i reside in california.. ..

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 2:12 PM @gro ups.com RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Opalline

I love the variety of colours around this area. The tree outside the entrance to where I work turns bright red, and at present about half the leaves are bright red and half are green. The silver birches leaves turn a pretty yellow, and other trees turn various shades of yellow, orange and russet colours. It is beautiful. It's also lovely to go for a walk later on in autumn and kick up all the leaves :-)

Jo

-

fraggle

Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:40 AM

the bay area?

Isn't No.CA pretty in the fall?Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:58 PM

Opalline

Have you tried increasing food items that are anti-inflammatory i.e. herb teas?

Jo

-

fraggle

Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:42 AM

comes and goes

just like the back. i never found anyone who could take care of my pinched nerve. it just "went away" when we were in europe. it twinges now and again, which just means i can't read for awhile (looking down at a book is hell on me at times)

see..winter sucks!

Jo

-

fraggle

Opalline

speaking of fall and the weather

3am this morning awoke to the little dog losing her wee brain.....

thunderstorms moving thru....

this morning, its cloudy, foggy, and thunderstorms...

all very odd....

fraggle

i've tried all sorts of things over the years...

i've relegated myself to just going "ow ow ow ow ow ow ow" as i go up or down stairs....

never get hit by a car kids! or get into a car wreck

or hit on your bike

or

or

or

fraggle

"jo.heartwork" Sep 12, 2009 5:58 AM Re: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Have you tried increasing food items that are anti-inflammatory i.e. herb teas?

Jo

-

fraggle

Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:42 AM

comes and goes

see..winter sucks!

Jo

-

fraggle

Opalline

It's lovely and sunny here - has been all day - with a little breeze.

Jo

-

fraggle

Saturday, September 12, 2009 4:54 PM

speaking of fall and the weather

3am this morning awoke to the little dog losing her wee brain.....

thunderstorms moving thru....

this morning, its cloudy, foggy, and thunderstorms...

all very odd....

fraggle

What part of the country are you in?Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 2:56 AM

I love the variety of colours around this area. The tree outside the entrance to where I work turns bright red, and at present about half the leaves are bright red and half are green. The silver birches leaves turn a pretty yellow, and other trees turn various shades of yellow, orange and russet colours. It is beautiful. It's also lovely to go for a walk later on in autumn and kick up all the leaves :-)

Jo

-

fraggle

the bay area?

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 5:38 PM @gro ups.com RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Isn't No.CA pretty in the fall?Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter@gro ups.comFriday, September 11, 2009, 1:58 PM

Opalline

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me." "Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

I'm in south East England

Jo

-

Patricia

Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:32 PM

What part of the country are you in?Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > wrote:

jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork >Re: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 2:56 AM

Jo

-

fraggle

the bay area?

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 5:38 PM @gro ups.com RE: Re: September 2009 VegNewsletter

Opalline