IndiaDivine.org

Lierre Keith – Vegetarian Myth - Saturday, March 13

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Kathleen Marquardt founded Putting People First, an anti-animal rights group. When I wrote my (2001) critique of her book, Animal Scam: the Beastly Abuse of Human Rights, Dixie was kind enough to let me distribute the critique to members of the SFVS. In exposing the flaws in Marquardt's arguments and her paranoia over social progress, I concluded that although she has not succeeded in discrediting the animal rights movement, it's a necessary read--for animal activists to understand (and counteract!) the tactics and mentality of the other side.

Similarly, boycotting Lierre Keith's book would only (as Peter Singer says) "play right into the hands of those who would oppose us." Lierre Keith is on a speaking tour, attacking veg*ism--why should coverage of an issue as serious as animal rights be one-sided? At the annual SFVS meeting in January, Carmen suggested getting a group together to hear Lierre Keith speak and challenge (or at the very least, question) her anti-veg assertions. I think it's a good idea.

---Vasu

vasumurti

shanta

Let us boycott the book.

vasumurti

Thu, Mar 4, 2010 12:18 pm

[sFVS] FYI: Lierre Keith – Vegetarian Myth - Saturday, March 13

Re: [sFVS] FYI: Lierre Keith – Vegetarian Myth - Saturday, March 13

I haven't read her (Lierre Keith's) book (The Vegetarian Myth), but if any in the SFVS, vegan and animal rights communities have, it's crucial that we have activists in the audience ready to challenge her anti-veg assertions. The lives of the animals depend on it.

---Vasu

vasumurti (AT) netscape (DOT) net

Brook <brook (AT) brook (DOT) com>

Thu, Mar 4, 2010 11:29 am

[sFVS] FYI: Lierre Keith – Vegetarian Myth - Saturday, March 13

Just to let you know that among the many interesting things at the upcoming annual Anarchist Book Fair, there will also be Lierre Keith as a featured speaker on his Vegetarian Myth. There are a lot of anarchists who are veg and their philosophy (i.e., anti-authoritarianism, anti-hierarchy, cooperation, peace and justice) are certainly in line with our philosophy.

Anarchist Book Fair [Free]

Saturday, March 13

2pm - Lierre Keith – Vegetarian Myth

SF County Fair Bldg (GG Park at 9th/Lincoln) [location for the annual World Veg Fest]

I'm not yet sure if I'll be able to make it to this event, or even to the fair, but it would be a great place to distribute literature and do some networking/organizing.

Peace,

Dan

Eco-Eating

www.brook.com/veg