Guest guest

At 1:47 AM -0500 3/5/10, vasumurti wrote:

....Similarly, boycotting Lierre Keith's book would only (as Peter

Singer says) " play right into the hands of those who would oppose

us. " Lierre Keith is on a speaking tour, attacking

veg*ism--why should coverage of an issue as serious as animal rights

be one-sided? At the annual SFVS meeting in January, Carmen

suggested getting a group together to hear Lierre Keith speak and

challenge (or at the very least, question) her anti-veg assertions.

I think it's a good idea.

>>

Absolutely! If all that people hear is the antiveg point of view,

and if they hear it repeatedly and unquestioned, it begins to be

" the way things are. " For people who can attend the event,

it would probably be worth strategizing how to challenge her

assertions *so that they will be heard* (rather than dismissed).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Was anyone there?Veg*n Antagonist Lierre Keith Pied in the Face at 2010 SF Anarchist Bookfairhttp://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/03/14/18640886.phpOn Mar 7, 2010, at 9:39 AM, brian wesenberg wrote:i'm just jumping into this string, so my apologies if this has already been stated, but if the audience gets filled w/ vegetarians, all the better. taking carmen's idea and expanding it! no pro meat msg gets out and then all questions and comments would be very poignant! 1st question: " why do you insist on writing lies?"2nd question: "could you please answer the first question and stop avoiding the truth?"and so on!--- On Fri, 3/5/10, yarrow <yarrow wrote:yarrow <yarrow[sFVS] Re: Lierre Keith â*“ Vegetarian Myth - Saturday, March 13 Cc: vasumurti (AT) netscape (DOT) netDate: Friday, March 5, 2010, 10:42 PM At 1:47 AM -0500 3/5/10, vasumurti (AT) netscape (DOT) net wrote:...Similarly, boycotting Lierre Keith's book would only (as Peter Singer says) "play right into the hands of those who would oppose us." Lierre Keith is on a speaking tour, attacking veg*ism--why should coverage of an issue as serious as animal rights be one-sided? At the annual SFVS meeting in January, Carmen suggested getting a group together to hear Lierre Keith speak and challenge (or at the very least, question) her anti-veg assertions. I think it's a good idea.>>Absolutely! If all that people hear is the antiveg point of view, and if they hear it repeatedly and unquestioned, it begins to be "the way things are." For people who can attend the event, it would probably be worth strategizing how to challenge her assertions *so that they will be heard* (rather than dismissed).

Guest guest

that is a great photo! But why waste a good pie on someone like this? :) philip gelbphilhttp://philipgelb.comhttp://philipgelb.blogspot.com/http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfoodhttp://myspace.com/philipgelb On Mar 14, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Rose Aguilar wrote:Was anyone there?Veg*n Antagonist Lierre Keith Pied in the Face at 2010 SF Anarchist Bookfairhttp://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/03/14/18640886.phpOn Mar 7, 2010, at 9:39 AM, brian wesenberg wrote:i'm just jumping into this string, so my apologies if this has already been stated, but if the audience gets filled w/ vegetarians, all the better. taking carmen's idea and expanding it! no pro meat msg gets out and then all questions and comments would be very poignant! 1st question: " why do you insist on writing lies?"2nd question: "could you please answer the first question and stop avoiding the truth?"and so on!--- On Fri, 3/5/10, yarrow <yarrow wrote:yarrow <yarrow[sFVS] Re: Lierre Keith â*“ Vegetarian Myth - Saturday, March 13 Cc: vasumurti (AT) netscape (DOT) netDate: Friday, March 5, 2010, 10:42 PM At 1:47 AM -0500 3/5/10, vasumurti (AT) netscape (DOT) net wrote:...Similarly, boycotting Lierre Keith's book would only (as Peter Singer says) "play right into the hands of those who would oppose us." Lierre Keith is on a speaking tour, attacking veg*ism--why should coverage of an issue as serious as animal rights be one-sided? At the annual SFVS meeting in January, Carmen suggested getting a group together to hear Lierre Keith speak and challenge (or at the very least, question) her anti-veg assertions. I think it's a good idea.>>Absolutely! If all that people hear is the antiveg point of view, and if they hear it repeatedly and unquestioned, it begins to be "the way things are." For people who can attend the event, it would probably be worth strategizing how to challenge her assertions *so that they will be heard* (rather than dismissed).

Guest guest

Seeing this, I'm glad I stayed home. This was to ensure the conversation wasn't one-sided and that we'd be heard?Reading the article, though, it was interesting to hear that Keith has already used up her allotment of free speech, though, so at least that argument's out of the way.Peace,JeffOn Mar 14, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Rose Aguilar wrote:

Was anyone there?Veg*n Antagonist Lierre Keith Pied in the Face at 2010 SF Anarchist Bookfairhttp://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/03/14/18640886.phpOn Mar 7, 2010, at 9:39 AM, brian wesenberg wrote:i'm just jumping into this string, so my apologies if this has already been stated, but if the audience gets filled w/ vegetarians, all the better. taking carmen's idea and expanding it! no pro meat msg gets out and then all questions and comments would be very poignant! 1st question: " why do you insist on writing lies?"2nd question: "could you please answer the first question and stop avoiding the truth?"and so on!--- On Fri, 3/5/10, yarrow <yarrow wrote:yarrow <yarrow[sFVS] Re: Lierre Keith â*“ Vegetarian Myth - Saturday, March 13 Cc: vasumurti (AT) netscape (DOT) netDate: Friday, March 5, 2010, 10:42 PM At 1:47 AM -0500 3/5/10, vasumurti (AT) netscape (DOT) net wrote:...Similarly, boycotting Lierre Keith's book would only (as Peter Singer says) "play right into the hands of those who would oppose us." Lierre Keith is on a speaking tour, attacking veg*ism--why should coverage of an issue as serious as animal rights be one-sided? At the annual SFVS meeting in January, Carmen suggested getting a group together to hear Lierre Keith speak and challenge (or at the very least, question) her anti-veg assertions. I think it's a good idea.>>Absolutely! If all that people hear is the antiveg point of view, and if they hear it repeatedly and unquestioned, it begins to be "the way things are." For people who can attend the event, it would probably be worth strategizing how to challenge her assertions *so that they will be heard* (rather than dismissed).