IndiaDivine.org

re: NYTimes Frugal Traveler & daughter visit Udupi Palace & Papalote

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm glad he plugged Udupi Palace as well as Rainbow, but what he said about Rainbow is just as inadequate as what he said, and didn't say, about Udupi. Not to mention they are vegetarian? Not to mention how the food tasted or looked? Not to mention that Rainbow is worker-owned? Not to mention that, while expensive, Rainbow can be less expensive than Whole Foods, Mollie Stone's, Balducci's, Zabar's, et al.?Peace, Dan"Those groceries bobbing in the flood had been a bargain, too, despite the fact that they’d come from the Rainbow Grocery, a co-op that composts, shuts down for both César Chávez Day and Gay Pride Day and is,

generally, expensive. Except on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, when you can deploy a coveted coupon, found in the local phone book, to knock 20 percent off your bill. (Mine came to $26.95.)"March 14, 2010

Frugal San Francisco

By MATT GROSS

At Udupi Palace, an Indian restaurant recommended by a Mission Parents member, I plopped Sasha into a highchair and ordered lunch: saag paneer with rice ($9.95), seemingly a surefire hit with a girl accustomed to Malaysian curries and Thai stir-fried noodles. But no luck. Sasha spat out the puréed spinach and made a face at the rice, though she ate the paneer with gusto.