IndiaDivine.org

re restaurants

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello, As you know I am fairly new to being a vegan. I went to a Chinese restaurant today to possibly pick something up for myself. They had a vegetarian menu but the server said that it wasn't a 100 percent vegetarian because the food is still cooked in oil that has previosuly been used for cooking meat. My question is: do we avoid eating at restaurants that cook vegetarian meals in oil and woks where meat has been cooked in? I told the server that having a vegetarian menu when it is not really vegetarian and definitly not vegan was misleading. Any comments on this? Am I being to strict?Also, has anybody read Mad Cowboy? I like most of it but the one part where he brings up the issue about if people have the right to kill animals or not (he compares it to abortion and the fetus, he says that both the fetus and the animals couldn't express themselves, well, in re animals, I very strongly disagree) and that thatw as likely to be an issue to was probably

never going to be solved. I feel, based on Francione's philosophy, that there is such a fundamental truth such as that they are living breathing beings, sentient and that they have an intereest to avoid pain and suffering, these traitas links animals with human animals. What do you think? Otherwise, the book is very well written, very informative (he even talks about organic farming and free range cows bringing disaster to the environment not just the factory farming). Third question: I was asked how we would feed a human baby if there were no cows left and the mother couldn't breastfeed, what would the options be? Is there a commercial soymilk based infant formula? Fourth and last question lol: my mom told me on the phone (she's in germany) that people have to make compromises and in my case, it would mean eating meat with my husband together sometimes...any comments on how to politeley respond to that? She doesn't understand what being vegan

means. My mom's 80. I left the Chinese restaurant without getting food there, by the way, got a CAPizza kitchen vegan pizza with wild mushrooms...I am eating it right now it's really good! Put in a request for egg free spaghetti there. Cheyenne Margaret Morin <margaret.morin wrote: While I'm glad Shannon posted this, let's not be swindled into believing

Burger King is animal-friendly. BK conceded very little and will still be responsible for the abuse and death of billions of animals. MM , shannon morgan <shannonmorgan36 wrote:>> Moderator's Note: While I'm glad Shannon posted this, let's not be swindled into believing Burger King is animal-friendly. BK conceded very little and will still be responsible for the abuse and death of billions of animals. MM > > *******> Dear SHANNON,> I have some very exciting news to share with you. In 2001, when PETA halted its & ldquo;Murder King" campaign (after Burger King adopted some animal welfare standards), Burger King agreed to continue behind-the-scenes discussions with PETA about ways to further reduce the horrific abuse of animals in factory farms and

slaughterhouses. Now, after nearly six years of negotiations with PETA, those discussions have resulted in Burger King's agreeing to enact a new industry-leading animal welfare plan to improve conditions for the animals used and killed for its products.> According to its news plan, Burger King will: > > Immediately begin purchasing 10 percent of its pig flesh from suppliers that do not use cruel gestation crates—metal enclosures that confine mother pigs and are so restrictive that the animals cannot even stretch a limb or take a step—and double that amount by the end of 2007. > Immediately begin purchasing 2 percent of its eggs from hens who are not confined to tiny wire battery cages and more than double that amount by the end of 2007. > Issue a statement to its egg suppliers that it will give purchasing preference to those that do not use battery cages. > Issue a statement to its

chicken-flesh suppliers that it will give purchasing preference to those that use or switch to "controlled-atmosphere killing" (CAK), the least cruel method of poultry slaughter in existence. > PETA applauds Burger King for this groundbreaking announcement, and we will continue to work with the company to improve its animal welfare requirements. > Tragically, some of the biggest fast-food companies—like KFC—have refused to eliminate even the very worst abuses of animals in factory farms and slaughterhouses. Numerous celebrities, including Pamela Anderson, His Holiness The Dalai Lama, Pink, and Good Charlotte, have called on KFC to halt the horrific abuse of the more than 850 million chickens raised and killed every year for its restaurants. PETA will continue to put pressure on KFC to stop torturing animals, but we urgently need your help! Please visit KentuckyFriedCruelty.com to learn more about what

you can do. > Of course, the best way to help chickens, pigs, and other farmed animals is by not eating them. Be sure to visit GoVeg.com for a free vegetarian starter kit! > Thank you for your continued support of PETA as we work to end cruelty to animals. > > > > Bored stiff? Loosen up...> Download and play hundreds of games for free on Games.>

Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Guest guest

Cheyenne, I understand your dilemma about restaurants. My personal philosophy is not to even touch anything that has been tainted by any animal product. When I go to someones house for dinner, or a restaurant (extremely rarely, unless Veggie Garden) I eat before I go, like a hummus sandwich on vegan bread and soymilk with soy protein powder and a piece of fruit. Then, I can order a salad with oil and vinegar, or other veggie options if I want to eat with the people. I always bring something to a dinner, and it's always something vegan, usually a dessert of some kind, like the cake recipe that was posted yesterday. No one can tell, and you can contribute AND enjoy, too! White pasta is a bad carb; you really should eat WHOLE wheat pasta and brown rice, as these are usable carbs you need, and they don't turn to fat instantly as the "white" ones. Also, I substitute

regular potatoes (bad carbs, but good source of potassium) with baked or microwaved sweet potatoes, put a little cinnamon on it, it's great and healthy for you! Since we are not meant to drink cow's milk, many babies are "colicky" - duh - so there are some soy formulas such as Ross Isomil Soy Formula with Iron, which I seriously doubt would cause any problems, but I am not an MD. I hope this helps you somewhat. Good questions!Christine Bradley <chaag62 wrote: Hello, As you know I am fairly new to being a vegan. I went to a Chinese restaurant today to possibly pick something up for myself. They had a vegetarian menu but the server said that it wasn't a 100 percent vegetarian because the food is still cooked in oil that has previosuly been used for cooking meat. My question is: do we avoid eating at restaurants that cook vegetarian meals in oil and woks where meat has been cooked in? I told the server that having a vegetarian menu when it is not really vegetarian and definitly not vegan was misleading. Any comments on this? Am I being to strict?Also, has anybody read Mad Cowboy? I like most of it but the one part where he brings up the issue about if people have the right to kill animals or not (he compares it to abortion and the fetus, he says that both the fetus and the animals couldn't express themselves, well, in re animals, I very

strongly disagree) and that thatw as likely to be an issue to was probably never going to be solved. I feel, based on Francione's philosophy, that there is such a fundamental truth such as that they are living breathing beings, sentient and that they have an intereest to avoid pain and suffering, these traitas links animals with human animals. What do you think? Otherwise, the book is very well written, very informative (he even talks about organic farming and free range cows bringing disaster to the environment not just the factory farming). Third question: I was asked how we would feed a human baby if there were no cows left and the mother couldn't breastfeed, what would the options be? Is there a commercial soymilk based infant formula? Fourth and last question lol: my mom told me on the phone (she's in germany) that people have to make compromises and in my case, it would mean eating meat with my husband together sometimes...any comments on

how to politeley respond to that? She doesn't understand what being vegan means. My mom's 80. I left the Chinese restaurant without getting food there, by the way, got a CAPizza kitchen vegan pizza with wild mushrooms...I am eating it right now it's really good! Put in a request for egg free spaghetti there. Cheyenne Margaret Morin <margaret.morin (AT) mindspring (DOT) com> wrote: While I'm glad Shannon posted this, let's not be swindled into believing Burger King is animal-friendly. BK conceded very little and will still be responsible for the abuse and death of billions of animals. MM , shannon morgan <shannonmorgan36 wrote:>> Moderator's Note: While I'm glad Shannon posted this, let's not be swindled into believing Burger King is animal-friendly. BK conceded very little and will still be responsible for the abuse and death of billions of animals. MM > > *******> Dear SHANNON,> I have some very exciting news to share with you. In 2001, when PETA halted its & ldquo;Murder King" campaign (after Burger King adopted some animal welfare standards), Burger King agreed to continue behind-the-scenes discussions with PETA about ways to further reduce the horrific abuse of animals in factory farms and slaughterhouses. Now, after nearly six years of negotiations with PETA, those discussions have resulted in Burger King's agreeing to enact a new

industry-leading animal welfare plan to improve conditions for the animals used and killed for its products.> According to its news plan, Burger King will: > > Immediately begin purchasing 10 percent of its pig flesh from suppliers that do not use cruel gestation crates—metal enclosures that confine mother pigs and are so restrictive that the animals cannot even stretch a limb or take a step—and double that amount by the end of 2007. > Immediately begin purchasing 2 percent of its eggs from hens who are not confined to tiny wire battery cages and more than double that amount by the end of 2007. > Issue a statement to its egg suppliers that it will give purchasing preference to those that do not use battery cages. > Issue a statement to its chicken-flesh suppliers that it will give purchasing preference to those that use or switch to "controlled-atmosphere killing" (CAK), the least cruel

method of poultry slaughter in existence. > PETA applauds Burger King for this groundbreaking announcement, and we will continue to work with the company to improve its animal welfare requirements. > Tragically, some of the biggest fast-food companies—like KFC—have refused to eliminate even the very worst abuses of animals in factory farms and slaughterhouses. Numerous celebrities, including Pamela Anderson, His Holiness The Dalai Lama, Pink, and Good Charlotte, have called on KFC to halt the horrific abuse of the more than 850 million chickens raised and killed every year for its restaurants. PETA will continue to put pressure on KFC to stop torturing animals, but we urgently need your help! Please visit KentuckyFriedCruelty.com to learn more about what you can do. > Of course, the best way to help chickens, pigs, and other farmed animals is by not eating them. Be sure to visit GoVeg.com for a free

vegetarian starter kit! > Thank you for your continued support of PETA as we work to end cruelty to animals. > > > > Bored stiff? Loosen up...> Download and play hundreds of games for free on Games.> Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the forecast with the Search weather shortcut.