Guest guest

Back to message | Back to INBOX Messages

Jonnie England

To:

Friends of Animals

Animal Cruelty Update - Sweet Charity and Mercy

Attachments:

image001.jpg image002.jpg image003.jpg

The animal cruelty case involving Sweet Charity has been dropped by the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office for insufficient evidence. Prosecutors in the case had asked to meet with me this week to present and review the evidence before the final decision was announced.

While we’re very disappointed that no one will be held accountable for causing Sweet Charity’s terrible suffering and death, I reluctantly agree with the decision. Because the crime happened two years ago this month, some witnesses have moved and can’t be located, while others have changed their testimony. There was never much physical evidence to prove who actually owned Charity, who neglected and then abandoned her, or who chained her in the back of a vacant duplex and left her to die. All of us want someone to be punished for this crime, but justice isn’t served if the wrong person is convicted.

“What happened to Sweet Charity was a travesty and a shame,†said Assistant District Attorney Brandon Birmingham, one of those present at the meeting. “Her legacy will be that we will learn from her case and do everything that we can to ensure that this never happens again.â€

In addition to Mr. Birmingham, the meeting was attended by Assistant DAs David Pitcher and Paige Duncan, the DA’s Chief Investigator Anthony Robinson, and Trista Allen, Information Officer for the Criminal District Attorney’s Office. Willie McDaniel, the new Manager of Dallas Animal Services, was also at the meeting.

I appreciate the prosecutors calling the meeting. It was a great opportunity to meet face to face and talk about ways we can work together in the future to investigate and successfully prosecute people who abuse and neglect animals.

The meeting was also an opportunity to discuss the upcoming trial in Mercy’s case, which is still set for Monday, April 23—the one-year anniversary of her death. Despite the sadness I feel that we won’t find justice for Charity, I was greatly encouraged by the commitment of all involved to prosecute Mercy’s case to the fullest.

As you’ll recall, on April 14, 2006, a 10-month-old pit bull mix puppy was brought to Operation Kindness. We named her Mercy. She apparently had been stabbed, doused with gasoline and set on fire. Despite intensive veterinary care, she died 9 days later. DeShann Quatrail Brown is charged with cruelty to animals with the finding of a deadly weapon, a third-degree felony. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years in prison.

Brown is set for a jury trial on April 23 before Judge Jeanine Howard in Criminal District Count No. 6 in the Frank Crowley Courts Building, 133 N. Industrial Blvd. in Dallas. I’ve told the prosecutors to expect a large turnout of those who have followed Mercy’s case and are seeking justice for her.

Thank you for your compassion and concern for Sweet Charity, for Mercy, and for all abused and neglected animals.

Jonnie England

Executive Director

Operation Kindness

3201 Earhart Drive

Carrollton, TX 75006

www.operationkindness.org

STOP ANIMAL ABUSE…FOR MERCY’S SAKE.

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~Albert Schweitzer