IndiaDivine.org

Just Who is Miss Manners & Why is she saying all these RUDE things about Vegans?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

We should all write to her to enlighten and educate her on the amazing deliciousness of vegan food!Janice <bluevegan wrote: ISWA <iswa >,<imc-houstonJanice <blueveganThu, 24 May 2007 13:20:50 -0500[iSWA] Just Who is Miss Manners & Why is she saying all these RUDEthings about Vegans? President George W. Bush and Laura Bush stand with 2005 National Humanities Medal recipient Judith Martin.On March 23, 2006, she was a special guest correspondent on The Colbert Report, giving her analysis of the manners with which the White House Press Corps spoke to the President. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_MartinIn today’s Houston

Chronicle...MISS MANNERS Party at vegans' home will irritate workers By JUDITH MARTINUnited Feature Syndicate May 24, 2007full story:http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/4829917.html Dear Miss Manners:I have a business acquaintance who, after meeting her husband, became a vegetarian, and is now

a vegan. They are so happy and in love with their world they proselytize their food choices and practically insult those who are comfortable with their own eating habits.As annoying as this is, my concern is that they would like to host the annual company event at their home. When I entertain at home, I provide a range of food and libation to cover everyone's dietary restrictions.But I know that they will serve only vegan foods, no sodas and food that many in the larger group don't necessarily enjoy, along with lots of alcohol, which is amusing given their health concerns. They will not allow anything other than vegan foods in their home, which is their right.Of course, knowing this upfront, I will eat before I go and nibble on their offerings. Even so, there is a feeling among the workers that these two are incredibly rude and controlling.They are more senior in the company, so everyone will go along. However, since the party is for the

employees, it seems unfair that at a party that is meant to show appreciation, everyone will be forced to eat what the hosts like, versus the standard buffet choices. Gentle Reader:That people who go around insulting others over their food choices are rude is beyond dispute. Whether they are "controlling," which is to say assuming illegitimate authority over others, is a more complicated question.As you acknowledge, they may serve what they like in their own house. They may also choose the location of a party that they are giving. So if this couple is senior enough to be throwing and sponsoring the annual party, the only polite protest their prospective guests can make is to decline their invitations. If everyone expressed polite regret at being busy the night of the event, perhaps the hosts would understand that it was not working as a show of appreciation.It is an entirely different matter if the event is

actually given by the company at which they and the other prospective guests are employees. Employees may then make the point to whoever is in higher charge that the couple's house is an unsuitable venue because of its food restrictions.This is not the time to deal with their rudeness. It should be phrased as it would be if a popular employee had wanted to host the party in a house that was too small to hold the number of people expected — with gratitude for the offer and regret that it would not work.MissManners (AT) unitedmedia (DOT) com MISS MANNERSUnited Features Syndicate200 Madison Ave.New York, NY 10016 Letters to the Houston Chronicle: viewpoints (AT) chron (DOT) comIn one of her books, Miss Manner’s Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior (p 633), someone asks her about wearing fur and

says she is tired of people ridiculing her for wearing fur, to which Ms Manners replies:Gentle ReaderA lady always suffers terribly from the cold which shifts the focus from her presumably bulging bank account which is never proper to her presumably aristocratic frailty which is. Posted byJanice BlueComment to Miss Manners: ...The only thing missing is cruelty to animals ----- Original Message ----- MissManners (AT) unitedmedia (DOT) com Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:56

AMplease considerDear Miss Manners, The ingrate who wrote to grump about the vegan couple who graciously offered to host the company function at their home should open his or her mind. There is an immense bounty of delicious, healthful, satisfying vegan food, including many gourmet dishes. See, for example: http://www.contracostatimes.com/business/ci_5754952 See also: http://www.farmedanimal.net/faw/faw7-13.htm#8 The only thing missing is cruelty to animals. I hope you will help enlighten your readers of this. Most sincerely,Mary FinelliSilver Spring, Md. Kerri M.******************************************************* * Ralph Waldo Emerson sums it up nicely, "You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity." For those that don't get it, here's a simple test: If you wouldn't do it to your cat or dog, then don't do it to another animal." " Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight. -Albert Schweitzer " - Show Compassion, Go Vegan!******************************************************* http://www.meetyourmeat.org (this site will change your life)

Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.