IndiaDivine.org

Do's and Don'ts of Leafleting -Okay to Cross Post

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

RE: 8/1-8/12/07 Dallas circus leafleting and demonstration (go to www.vegnod.com for details) Several people, new to leafleting, have emailed me asking about how it is done. Be assured that I will orient any new person, who comes to the circus, to the extent that person wants. I try to ensure people are comfortable in what they are doing. In addition, I thought it might be helpful to post a few general leafleting guidelines (see below). Do’s and Don’ts of Leafleting (Guidelines) ALWAYS REMAIN POLITE: You are a representative for the animals. How you behave is being watched by those you wish to influence. People are judging our entire movement by how you behave, so please always conduct yourself as a lady or gentleman, no matter what happens. Do not speak harshly to anyone, nor reply in kind if someone is impolite to you. DRESS TO IMPRESS: Dress comfortably, but neatly. People will judge us in part by what we wear, so look nice to benefit the animals. Nice jeans or shorts and a clean shirt are usually okay for a hot day. Avoid

message t-shirts and tank tops. READ THE LEAFLETS: Before you begin leafleting, quickly read what you are distributing so you may speak to it when asked. Leafleting Do’s: --- Try your best to be on time. Animals are counting on you. They have

no one else to speak for them. --- Stand on the public sidewalk within 11 feet of the curb, slightly out of the flow of foot traffic while you leaflet. NEVER block the flow of foot or car traffic. --- Smile and look people in the eye, as you offer a flier to as many passersby as possible. Our goal is to get a leaflet in the hands of as many as possible. --- State a short phrase, such as “Information on the circus,” as you hold out the flier.

--- When someone takes a flier from you, say thank you. --- If someone refuses the flier, say thank you or nothing at all. Don’t let it upset you. --- Spread out from other leafleters, but keep at least one other leafleter within eye sight. Be aware of approximately where your team leader is, in case you need her or him. --- If someone stops and asks

you what you are doing, state you are educating the public on the how terribly the circus abuses animals and ask people to not buy circus tickets in the future. If that person asks you for details, show them the flier and concisely and briefly describe some of the animal abuse described in the flier. Supply a brief anecdote of which you might be aware, if you like. Example: Animals are tortured and beaten by the handlers to perform acts so unnatural to them. State simply that “I believe this is wrong. We want people to know about it.” --- Always obey the law. We are exercising our first amendment

rights to speak for the animals only. Doing anything other than that is not advocated for or supported by Vegetarian Network of Dallas. Leafleting Don’ts: --- Do not block the sidewalk or step directly into the path of passersby. --- Do not stand in the street. --- Do not step off the curb to hand a leaflet to someone in a passing car. --- Never trespass on private property. --- Never get into a verbal or physical altercation with anyone. --- Never speak harshly to anyone while leafleting or demonstrating. --- Never be discourteous to a police officer. But, this does not mean you are required to talk to the police over much. Remember that laws vary from city to city. Contact me if you have questions. Margaret

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

Excellent email Margaret! I will bring my laptop and I've preloaded many of usable (i.e. no curse words) video material from www.circuses.com. Also, may I please share some additional thoughts about the circus demo? After buying the $$$ tickets, loading their excited offspring up in the car, paying $$$ for parking, etc., very few people, if any, will turn around and go home. It just doesn't happen (once in how many years?). Therefore, I always use this pitch: "Hi! (with large smile:) I know you're going to the circus this year, but here's some info for next year's decision about the circus. Thanks!" Advantages: Acceptance that they're going to the circus this

year--mitigates conflict right off the bat; less cognitive dissonance; more informal--less "in your face" for those looking for a conflict (or that hate: us/Peta/anyone that disagrees with them/"liberals"); more likely to make them think about it and, most importantly, keep the flyer in their pocket so that they'll go to the web site when they get home. And that's the key: only cruel people would continue to support the circus after going to the www.circuses.com web site. Therefore, we've got to get them to visit the site as our end goal for all our circus demos. Just a thought, and you've been doing this for many more years than me so take it for what it's worth! Warm Regards, Mark Margaret Morin <dogs_good wrote: RE: 8/1-8/12/07 Dallas circus leafleting and demonstration (go to www.vegnod.com for details) Several people, new to leafleting, have emailed me asking about how it is done. Be assured that I will orient any new person, who comes to the circus, to the extent that person wants. I try to ensure people are comfortable in what they are doing. In addition, I thought it might be helpful to post a few general leafleting guidelines (see below). Do’s and Don’ts of Leafleting (Guidelines) ALWAYS REMAIN POLITE: You are a representative for the animals.

How you behave is being watched by those you wish to influence. People are judging our entire movement by how you behave, so please always conduct yourself as a lady or gentleman, no matter what happens. Do not speak harshly to anyone, nor reply in kind if someone is impolite to you. DRESS TO IMPRESS: Dress comfortably, but neatly. People will judge us in part by what we wear, so look nice to benefit the animals. Nice jeans or shorts

and a clean shirt are usually okay for a hot day. Avoid message t-shirts and tank tops. READ THE LEAFLETS: Before you begin leafleting, quickly read what you are distributing so you may speak to it when asked. Leafleting Do’s: --- Try

your best to be on time. Animals are counting on you. They have no one else to speak for them. --- Stand on the public sidewalk within 11 feet of the curb, slightly out of the flow of foot traffic while you leaflet. NEVER block the flow of foot or car traffic. --- Smile and look people in the eye, as you offer a flier to as many passersby as possible. Our goal is to get a leaflet in the hands of as many as possible. --- State a short phrase, such as “Information on the circus,” as you hold out the

flier. --- When someone takes a flier from you, say thank you. --- If someone refuses the flier, say thank you or nothing at all. Don’t let it upset you. --- Spread out from other leafleters, but keep at least one other leafleter within eye sight. Be aware of approximately where your team leader is, in case you need her or him. --- If someone stops and asks you what you are doing, state you are educating the public on the how terribly the circus abuses animals and ask people to not buy circus tickets in the future. If that person asks you for details, show them the flier and concisely and briefly describe some of the animal abuse described in the flier. Supply a brief anecdote of which you might be aware, if you like. Example: Animals are tortured and beaten by the handlers to perform acts so unnatural to them. State simply that “I believe this is wrong. We want people to know about it.” --- Always obey

the law. We are exercising our first amendment rights to speak for the animals only. Doing anything other than that is not advocated for or supported by Vegetarian Network of Dallas. Leafleting Don’ts: --- Do not block the sidewalk or step directly into the path of passersby. --- Do not stand in the street. --- Do not step off the curb to hand a leaflet to someone in a passing car. --- Never trespass on private property. --- Never get into a verbal or physical altercation with anyone. --- Never speak harshly to anyone while leafleting or demonstrating. --- Never be discourteous to a police officer. But, this does not mean you are required to talk to the police over much. Remember that laws vary from city to city. Contact me if you have questions. Margaret Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.