IndiaDivine.org

PCRM update on Farm Bill, Pet Safety and Protection Act

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

.. Dear

PCRM supporter, I am writing to let you know that on July 27, the United States House of Representatives passed the Farm Bill, which not only provides financial assistance to farmers, but also helps determine what foods are available in schools and nutrition programs. I want to thank everyone who called and e-mailed their representative about this important bill. Last month, I e-mailed you and asked you to urge your representative to vote YES on the “Fairness in Farm and Food Policy Amendment,” which was offered by Reps. Ron Kind (D-WI) and Jeff Flake (R-AZ) and would have limited government subsidies of unhealthy foods, cut subsidies to millionaire

farmers, and provided more money for nutrition and food assistance programs for Americans and impoverished children overseas. The Fairness Amendment did not pass (the vote was 117 to 309), but it did bring much needed attention to the problems with the current Farm Bill. Most importantly, it motivated members of Congress to make some very important and positive changes to the Farm Bill itself at the very last minute. To see how your representative voted on the Fairness Amendment, If you would like to let your representative know what you think about his or her vote, you can click here to find your

representative’s Web site, e-mail, and phone number. Although the Fairness Amendment did not pass, some other important amendments did pass. You may remember receiving e-mails from me last year about the “Pet Safety and Protection Act,” which would ban federal support of “random-source dealers” who sell cats and dogs from unknown origins to research labs. This bill was turned into an amendment and attached to the Farm Bill—and passed. Members of Congress also passed a bill that would make the use of live animals in medical device demonstrations illegal. Over the last few months, I, along with other PCRM staff members, have been visiting Capitol Hill and talking to members of Congress about the Farm Bill. In fact, PCRM president

Neal Barnard, M.D., joined members of various public interest and faith groups at a news conference on Capitol Hill on July 25 to urge every member of the House of Representatives to vote YES on the Fairness in Farm and Food Policy Amendment. Click here to read The New York Times article about the news conference, which includes a picture of Dr. Barnard (he’s standing directly behind Rep. Kind, who is speaking at the podium in the picture). In September or October, the Farm Bill will be debated and voted on in the Senate. I know I can count on your help again when that time comes. To learn more about these legislative issues and stay up-to-date with what’s happening with the Farm Bill on Capitol Hill, please go to: www.PCRM.org/news/legislative_issues. Thank you again for your support, and feel free to e-mail me at kash if you have any questions or comments. Best regards, Kyle AshLegislative

Coordinatorkash Donate

NowJoin PCRM or Renew Your Membership Kyle AshLegislative Coordinatorkash Read more about the 2007 Farm BillLook up your elected officialsSubscribe to future PCRM e-mail communications Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400 Washington, DC 20016 Phone: 202-686-2210

Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Autos new Car Finder tool.