IndiaDivine.org

[ACT] DMN Blog Bashes Circus Leafleters - Writer's alert

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I was pleased to see that this ignorant and happy-to-stay-that way columnist at least published a couple of intelligent letters from people who are enlightened and have compassion for beings other than children and themselves. Here are the two letters: Circus animals Some readers are taking issue with my objection to folks handing out save-the-elephants literature in front of children at the Barnum & Bailey circus: Reader Cathy assumes too much, but here's what she had to say: Steve, have you ever really looked into the circus issue? As an educated and assumed intelligent man, throwing the word "terrorize" around is dangerous these days. I am glad people have the courage and patience to hand out literature on the circus. I attended my last circus in California 20 years ago and was handed a

brochure by one of these people. It made me think I had better do my homework before spouting off to them that the circus is a tradition, leave it alone (which were my thoughts). When I found out what the elephants in particular were subjected to in order to get them to stand in a long line with their feet on each others backs, I was ashamed for attending. And never will again.Educating children about reality is not terrorism. It is education, there is a big difference. Telling them not to think about the cruelty involved is encouraging them to practice cognitive dissonance. Terrorists do that. And from Nichole: If the truth terrorizes children, perhaps the truth should change. Posted by Steve Harris at 9:37 AM (E-mail this entry) | Comments August 6, 2007 Margaret Morin <dogs_good wrote: Anyone have a moment to post a civil, articulate response to enlighten these people that exercising our right of free speech under the US Constitution is not terrorism? And, speaking for suffering animals, who can not speak for or protect themselves, is simply the right thing to do. See the initial "Grouse" post by DMN columnist on the DMN Blog. http://metro.beloblog.com/ If anyone could help out with this, I would appreciate it. Also, remember that you may email a polite and thoughtful email to the Dallas Morning News LTE by going to: http://www.dallasnews.com/cgi-bin/lettertoed.cgi Thank you. Margaret Morin President, Vegetarian Network of Dallas Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out. "Think occasionally of the

suffering of which youspare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.