IndiaDivine.org

Raisins & Grapes Toxic to Dogs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think I first read about grapes/raisins causing kidney failure in dogs in June, 2001. I got my vet to go on-line to his vet subscription service and confirm it. Also, onions cause anemia in dogs. And, everyone knows chocolate is toxic to dogs. And, I believe tylenol is, also. Never give a dog or cat human medication without asking your vet first. More proof dogs are not little people in fur coats and can not be used in medical research as indicators of human response. So, we need to stop using them for this. MargaretBarbara Staves <Barbara.Staves> wrote: Thanks Debra! I didn't know this.....checked it on Snopes and it is indeed true. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.aspDebra Matthews debmatthews10 8/22/2007 09:47 AM >> No raisins or grapes for your pooches!! If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville , Ohio This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard somewhere about

raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output

overnight as well as overnight care. He start ed vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize. This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few a s 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them. _

Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Autos new Car Finder tool.

Other foods that are in the same family as onions, such as garlic, chives, leeks, etc. are also toxic to dogs:

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vetm0805_562-566.pdf

Another highly toxic substance is Xylitol, an artificial sweetner that is frequently used in sugarfree chewing gum and some candies that are made for diabetics. It makes the blood sugar drop dangerously low. Many dogs have died after stealing a pack of sugarfree gum from the owner's purse. If your dog does this, it is a good idea to take him to the emergency vet ASAP.

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/content/2006/05/15/xylitol-sugar-substitute-toxic-to-dogs.php

Avocados have been shown to have toxic effects on some other species, including cardiovascular effects, so best to keep them away from the dogs, too.

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/Wallis-Tox_Brief-May_VT_05.pdf?docID=4702

Carol Duncan

On Behalf Of Margaret MorinFriday, August 24, 2007 7:21 PMVNOD Raisins & Grapes Toxic to Dogs

I think I first read about grapes/raisins causing kidney failure in dogs in June, 2001. I got my vet to go on-line to his vet subscription service and confirm it. Also, onions cause anemia in dogs. And, everyone knows chocolate is toxic to dogs. And, I believe tylenol is, also. Never give a dog or cat human medication without asking your vet first. More proof dogs are not little people in fur coats and can not be used in medical research as indicators of human response. So, we need to stop using them for this. MargaretBarbara Staves <Barbara.Staves> wrote:

Thanks Debra! I didn't know this.....checked it on Snopes and it is indeed true. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.aspDebra Matthews debmatthews10 8/22/2007 09:47 AM >>

No raisins or grapes for your pooches!! If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville , Ohio This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He start ed vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize. This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few a s 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them. _

Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Autos new Car Finder tool.

Thanks for this info. I was acctually wondering about avocados as they

are highly toxic to birds. Some of my box turtle loves to eat them,

there is no knowledge so far about toxicity to turtles or torotises as

I learned. BUT I would like to share one thing about dogs and

avocados. While back we discussed here dog food choices and

recomendations and I bought and fed my dogs the Avoderm dog food based

on avocado oil and such. There are also onions includes in the

vegetarian formula!

My dogs were vomiting and had diarrhea and I immediatly switched back

to Authority (chicken lite)as that worked the best for them.

How ever some people recommend this food, I would be very cautious

using it as at least 2 to 3 ingrediences are on your warning toxic

food list.

Hopefully I'll get time to write the Avoderm company about that, but

if you have similar experiences and worries, please do so as well and

let me know.

I though I share this with you, I hope it helped.

Barbara

DFW Turtle & Tortoise Club

www.dfwttc.org

http://pets.DFWTurtleandTortoiseClub/

www.veggiechild.com

Wear Your Attitude

www.urbanveggie.com

New vegan recipes

, " Carol Duncan "

<browniedriver wrote:

>

> Other foods that are in the same family as onions, such as garlic,

chives,

> leeks, etc. are also toxic to dogs:

>

> http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vetm0805_562-566.pdf

>

> Another highly toxic substance is Xylitol, an artificial sweetner

that is

> frequently used in sugarfree chewing gum and some candies that are

made for

> diabetics. It makes the blood sugar drop dangerously low. Many dogs

have

> died after stealing a pack of sugarfree gum from the owner's purse.

If your

> dog does this, it is a good idea to take him to the emergency vet

ASAP.

>

>

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/content/2006/05/15/xylitol-sugar-substitute-tox

> ic-to-dogs.php

>

> Avocados have been shown to have toxic effects on some other species,

> including cardiovascular effects, so best to keep them away from the

dogs,

> too.

>

>

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/Wallis-Tox_Brief-May_VT_05.pdf?docID=470

> 2

>

>

> Carol Duncan

>

>

>

>

> _____

>

>

> On Behalf Of Margaret

> Morin

> Friday, August 24, 2007 7:21 PM

> VNOD

> Raisins & Grapes Toxic to Dogs

>

>

> I think I first read about grapes/raisins causing kidney failure in

dogs in

> June, 2001. I got my vet to go on-line to his vet subscription

service and

> confirm it. Also, onions cause anemia in dogs. And, everyone knows

> chocolate is toxic to dogs. And, I believe tylenol is, also.

Never give a

> dog or cat human medication without asking your vet first.

>

> More proof dogs are not little people in fur coats and can not be

used in

> medical research as indicators of human response. So, we need to stop

> using them for this. Margaret

>

> Barbara Staves <Barbara.Staves> wrote:

>

> Thanks Debra! I didn't know this.....checked it on Snopes and it is

indeed

> true. <http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp>

> http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

>

> Debra Matthews debmatthews10

> <debmatthews10%3E%208/22/2007%2009:47%20AM%20%3E%3E> >

> 8/22/2007 09:47 AM >>

>

> No raisins or grapes for your pooches!!

>

> If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on

>

> Written by:

> Laurinda Morris, DVM

> Danville Veterinary Clinic

> Danville , Ohio

>

> This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever

seen at

> MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab

> mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and

> 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking

> about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency

service until

> 7AM.

>

> I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal

failure

> but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her

> bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service

> at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something

about it,

> but....

>

> Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and

> they said to give IV fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the

kidney

> values for the next 48-72 hours.

>

> The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less

> than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are

> monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV

catheter and

> started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN

was over

> 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of

fluids.

> At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him

on to

> MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as

well as

> overnight care.

>

> He start ed vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values

> have continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix

> as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they

> still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased

> again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus

> was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying

around 150,

> skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to

> euthanize.

>

> This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea

> raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog

> of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few a s 7 raisins or

> grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or

> raisins as treats including our ex-handler's.

>

> Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Even if you

don't have a

> dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

>

> _

>

>

>

>

> _____

>

> Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out

>

<http://us.rd./evt=48518/*http://autos./carfinder/;_ylc=X3

> oDMTE3NWsyMDd2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDY2FyLWZpbmRlcg-->