IndiaDivine.org

Vick's Talking Points on e-Bay + Whoopi Defends Vick--From HSUS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://www.tmz.com/2007/09/04/humane-society-auctions-off-vicks-talking-points/ Humane Society Auctions Off Vick's Talking Points Posted Sep 4th 2007 1:25PM by TMZ StaffFiled under: Celebrity Justice On August 27, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick plead guilty to dogfighting charges, and the following day held a press conference in Richmond, Virg., apologizing for his involvement in the Bad Newz Kennels dogfighting ring. After Vick's four-minute speech, a rep with the Humane Society of the United States went up to the podium to retrieve his microphone, and found a a nearly

illegible note left by Vick containing his talking points. Vick's big idea: apologize, apologize, apologize. The six-point speech calls for him to "apologize for what I've done;" apologize to his coach and team; tell young kids that "I acted immature;" ask for "forgiveness and understanding;take full responsibility for my actions;" and remind people that "we all make mistakes." At the very bottom of the note was a reminder that "dogs have suffered." "Watching video of the event, I recall Vick reading through his talking points. I don't recall him getting to those words at the end. No, for some reason, he didn't get to the dogs on whom he inflicted such tortures," wrote Humane Society blogger Wayne Pacelle on A Humane Nation. "The biggest apology of all was

left unspoken-to the dogs who suffered and who died so horribly at his hand." The Humane Society has put the note up for auction. Proceeds will benefit the Humane Society's Animal Cruelty Response and Reward Fund. *********************************** Reuters: "Whoopi Goldberg defends Vick's dog-fighting role" http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0444500720070905 Whoopi Goldberg defends Vick's dog-fighting role Tue Sep 4, 2007 9:29PM EDT By Steve Gorman LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Outspoken comedian Whoopi Goldberg drew a scathing rebuke from animal rights activists on Tuesday for defending U.S. football star Michael Vick's role in dogfighting during her debut on ABC's talk show "The View." "He's from the South, from the Deep South ... This is part of his cultural upbringing," Goldberg said of the Atlanta Falcons quarterback, whose recent fall from grace has been one of the most stunning in the history of U.S.

sports. Vick pleaded guilty last week to federal dogfighting charges, admitting he took part in an illegal, interstate enterprise known as Bad Newz Kennels and helped kill underperforming dogs. The 27-year-old, who grew up in Virginia, faces up to five years in prison when sentenced in December. He has been suspended indefinitely by the National Football League. "For a lot of people, dogs are sport," Goldberg said on the show. "Instead of just saying (Vick) is a beast and he's a monster, this is a kid who comes from a culture where this is not questioned." Veteran "View" co-host Joy Behar took immediate issue with Goldberg. "What part of the country is this? ... How about dog torturing and dog murdering?" she asked. Goldberg's comments were denounced by Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, who disputed that dogfighting was a cultural fixture of the South or any other region. "To suggest that there is some ethnic group or racial group or regional group that finds this acceptable is just not accurate," he told Reuters, adding that public opinion polls show opposition to dogfighting "is a universal value in America." He noted that dogfighting is outlawed in all 50 states, and a felony in all but two -- Idaho and Wyoming. The Oscar-winning actress' dogfighting remarks came on her first day as the new lead panelist on "The View," filling the seat vacated by actress and comedian Rosie O'Donnell in May. Goldberg's debut signaled she was likely to continue the often-controversial dynamic O'Donnell brought to the show, which blends live chat, celebrity interviews and segments on fashion, health and lifestyles. © Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. **************************************** AJC blog:

"Purported Vick notes on dogfighting case on eBay" http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/accessatlanta/peachbuzz/entries/2007/09/04/purported_vick.html Purported Vick notes on dogfighting case on eBay By RICHARD L. ELDREDGE | Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 09:35 PM The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Hand-written talking points purportedly to have been scrawled by the NFL player before his one (and thus far only) public statement since

pleading guilty in federal court were fetching more than $100 on eBay on Tuesday. Reps from the Humane Society of the United States claim to have picked up the abandoned notes from the podium after Vick’s statement last month. The six talking points scratched on a page from an Omni Hotels note pad included: 1) “Apologize for what I’ve done, 2) Apologize to commissioner, A.B. (Arthur Blank], [Falcons head coach Bobby] Petrino, ashamed, disappointed, 3) Young kids, I acted immature, 4) Forgiveness and understanding, 5) Take full responsibility for my actions and 6) We all make mistakes. I’ve made mistakes.” Below his final line, Vick added in smaller letters: “dogs have suffered.” On its Web

site, the HSUS states it will use money raised from the eBay auction “to end dogfighting and other forms of animal cruelty by contributing to the Animal Cruelty Response and Reward Fund.”

Got a little couch potato?

Check out fun summer activities for kids.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0444500720070905

Whoopi Goldberg defends Vick's dog-fighting role

Tue Sep 4, 2007 9:29PM EDT

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Outspoken comedian Whoopi Goldberg drew a scathing rebuke from animal rights activists on Tuesday for defending U.S. football star Michael Vick's role in dogfighting during her debut on ABC's talk show "The View."

"He's from the South, from the Deep South ... This is part of his cultural upbringing," Goldberg said of the Atlanta Falcons quarterback, whose recent fall from grace has been one of the most stunning in the history of U.S. sports.

Vick pleaded guilty last week to federal dogfighting charges, admitting he took part in an illegal, interstate enterprise known as Bad Newz Kennels and helped kill underperforming dogs.

The 27-year-old, who grew up in Virginia, faces up to five years in prison when sentenced in December. He has been suspended indefinitely by the National Football League.

"For a lot of people, dogs are sport," Goldberg said on the show. "Instead of just saying (Vick) is a beast and he's a monster, this is a kid who comes from a culture where this is not questioned."

Veteran "View" co-host Joy Behar took immediate issue with Goldberg.

"What part of the country is this? ... How about dog torturing and dog murdering?" she asked.

Goldberg's comments were denounced by Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, who disputed that dogfighting was a cultural fixture of the South or any other region.

"To suggest that there is some ethnic group or racial group or regional group that finds this acceptable is just not accurate," he told Reuters, adding that public opinion polls show opposition to dogfighting "is a universal value in America."

He noted that dogfighting is outlawed in all 50 states, and a felony in all but two -- Idaho and Wyoming.

The Oscar-winning actress' dogfighting remarks came on her first day as the new lead panelist on "The View," filling the seat vacated by actress and comedian Rosie O'Donnell in May.

Goldberg's debut signaled she was likely to continue the often-controversial dynamic O'Donnell brought to the show, which blends live chat, celebrity interviews and segments on fashion, health and lifestyles.

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/accessatlanta/peachbuzz/entries/2007/09/04/purported_vick.html

Purported Vick notes on dogfighting case on eBay

By RICHARD L. ELDREDGE | Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 09:35 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hand-written talking points purportedly to have been scrawled by the NFL player before his one (and thus far only) public statement since pleading guilty in federal court were fetching more than $100 on eBay on Tuesday. Reps from the Humane Society of the United States claim to have picked up the abandoned notes from the podium after Vick’s statement last month.

The six talking points scratched on a page from an Omni Hotels note pad included: 1) “Apologize for what I’ve done, 2) Apologize to commissioner, A.B. (Arthur Blank], [Falcons head coach Bobby] Petrino, ashamed, disappointed, 3) Young kids, I acted immature, 4) Forgiveness and understanding, 5) Take full responsibility for my actions and 6) We all make mistakes. I’ve made mistakes.” Below his final line, Vick added in smaller letters: “dogs have suffered.”

On its Web site, the HSUS states it will use money raised from the eBay auction “to end dogfighting and other forms of animal cruelty by contributing to the Animal Cruelty Response and Reward Fund.”