IndiaDivine.org

Further comments on Michael Vick Takes Empathy Course at PETA HQ

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I received a couple of emails about my post yesterday (below) regarding Vick's entering a PETA empathy/sensitivity course. Perhaps, my comments were too brief to reflect what I was trying to impart, so please allow me to elaborate. Although I am no expert on this,I think sensitivity training seems a positive instrument of rehabilitation for many who abuse animals for some correctable reason. However, Michael Vick is likely a sociopath (anti-social personality) and therefore, he is not capable of benefiting from sensitivity training. A sociopath would only engage in such training if he thought it would help him to evade consequences for his actions, as he has no conscience and is incapable of empathy or remorse. Sociopaths seek to exploit us through what they regard as our

weakness, i.e. compassion, mercy and forgiveness. They do not possess these traits, but they will use them against us. I fear that is what is happening with Vick. He seeks to convince the court of public opinion that he can be rehabilitated, so he will have a better chance in the court of law when he comes up for sentencing. I take issue with PETA's initiating this publicity tactic at this point in time, as without meaning to, they are helping him in his goal. If Vick wants sensitivity training, let him enroll after he is sentenced. If Vick is a sociopath, and I believe he is, then our only recourse is to drive Vick from legitimate society, so he will never again be in a position of power. Animal advocates should not help Vick to refurbish his image, so he may creep back into

societal grace and regain the capacity to abuse animals, which is what will happen if he is allowed to return to the NFL. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to clarify. Any thoughts? Margaret ntar_network , Margaret Morin wrote:I understand publicity, but I do not think animal rights should behelping a sociopath to rehabilitate his image. Michael Vick isclearly a sociopath and as such, is not rehabilitateable.Vick will not stop abusing animals whenever he can get away with it,no matter what sensitivity course he takes. I take the strongestissue with PETA helping him in any way.Margaret MorinVegetarian Network of DallasPETA wrote:

Michael Vick Takes Empathy Course at PETA HQ Dear Margaret,Following news of his guilty plea, I contacted Michael Vicksuggesting that he hearâ€"for the first time in his life, heconfirmedâ€"about animal protection issues, learn how animals feeljoy and pain and deserve respect, and receive specific instruction onwhat to say to young people whom he has influenced in the worstpossible ways.In mid-September, Michael Vick visited PETA's headquarters inNorfolk, Virginia, to meet with me privately. I told him that PETAadvocates an end to all exploitation and needless violence based onprejudice, including the prejudice against other species, and that webelieve that he should equip himself with information and materialsin order to be able to live up to his responsibility to counselchildren not to engage in cruelty to animals. He expressed hiswillingness to learn and his belief that

everything in life happensfor a reason, and he offered an apology to PETA and to "everyone"for "what I have done to dogs." I also explained that even if he tookour basic empathy course, our position that he should serve jail timeand have a lifetime ban on contact with animals would neverthelessremain unchanged, and he accepted that.Two weeks ago, Michael Vick returned to PETA to take the "DevelopingEmpathy for Animals" course, an all-day seminar on "who animals are,"alternatives to cruelty, animal protection philosophy, and humaneeducation, which PETA has now excerpted online. We believe that thiscourse should be adopted by the NFL for all players to take in orderto give them a chance to learn empathy, compassion, and nonviolence.Two days after the seminar, Vick came back to PETA's office to takethe course exam.PETA's course teaches the Golden Ruleâ€"treat others as you wish tobe treated. Only time will

tell whether Michael Vick has benefitedfrom what he has learned, but he has pledged to use this knowledge tourge kids not to follow in his footsteps and to be kind to animals.Meanwhile, we are urging the NFL to take the important step ofrequiring that every player do what Michael Vick has done and takethe course in order to help prevent future acts of violence againstanimals and to equip players with information about respectinganimals that they can share with their young fans.Although the Vick story served as the first glimpse for many peopleinto the gory details of dogfighting, the abuses detailed in Vick'sindictment are as widespread as they are horrific. In the last yearalone, PETA has responded to more than 14,000 calls and e-mailmessages regarding other dogfighting and individual cruelty-to-animals cases. The crucial step now is to urge policymakers and lawenforcement officers to treat all cases of

dogfighting and cruelty toanimals the same way that they handled Vick's high-profile case. Tothat end, please join PETA and ask the NFL to require that all itsplayers, some of whom have been involved in a series of cruelty-to-animals cases, attend PETA's "Developing Empathy for Animals" course.Thank you for helping us do all that we can to make the world abetter place for animals.Yours truly,Ingrid E. NewkirkPresidentP.S. If you'd like to help support PETA's educational programs,please make a donation today.This message was sent to dogs_good Visit your subscriptionmanagement page to modify your e-mail communication preferences orupdate your personal profile. To stop ALL e-mail from PETA's OnlineCommunity, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via e-mail with "remove" in the subject line).This e-mail was sent

by:PETA501 Front St., Norfolk, VA 23510United StatesCatch up on fall's hot new shows on TV. Watch previews, getlistings, and more!--- End forwarded message ---

Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

I couldn't have said it better. It's a disgusting and flagrant grasp for any kind of good will from the public. He IS a sociopath. He even left out the part on his "talking points" note about being sorry for killing the dogs! Whether unconscious or conscious, it was very telling. I hope he rots in prison.Margaret Morin <dogs_good wrote: I received a couple of emails about my post yesterday (below) regarding Vick's entering a PETA empathy/sensitivity

course. Perhaps, my comments were too brief to reflect what I was trying to impart, so please allow me to elaborate. Although I am no expert on this,I think sensitivity training seems a positive instrument of rehabilitation for many who abuse animals for some correctable reason. However, Michael Vick is likely a sociopath (anti-social personality) and therefore, he is not capable of benefiting from sensitivity training. A sociopath would only engage in such training if he thought it would help him to evade consequences for his actions, as he has no conscience and is incapable of empathy or remorse. Sociopaths seek to exploit us through what they regard as our weakness, i.e. compassion, mercy and forgiveness. They do not possess these traits, but they will use them against us. I

fear that is what is happening with Vick. He seeks to convince the court of public opinion that he can be rehabilitated, so he will have a better chance in the court of law when he comes up for sentencing. I take issue with PETA's initiating this publicity tactic at this point in time, as without meaning to, they are helping him in his goal. If Vick wants sensitivity training, let him enroll after he is sentenced. If Vick is a sociopath, and I believe he is, then our only recourse is to drive Vick from legitimate society, so he will never again be in a position of power. Animal advocates should not help Vick to refurbish his image, so he may creep back into societal grace and regain the capacity to abuse animals, which is what will happen if he is allowed to return to the NFL. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to clarify. Any thoughts? Margaret ntar_network , Margaret Morin wrote:I understand publicity, but I do not think animal rights should behelping a sociopath to rehabilitate his image. Michael Vick isclearly a sociopath and as such, is not rehabilitateable.Vick will not stop abusing animals whenever he can get away with it,no matter what sensitivity course he takes. I take the strongestissue with PETA helping him in any way.Margaret MorinVegetarian Network of DallasPETA wrote: Michael Vick Takes Empathy Course at PETA HQ Dear Margaret,Following news of his guilty plea, I contacted Michael Vicksuggesting that he

hearâ€"for the first time in his life, heconfirmedâ€"about animal protection issues, learn how animals feeljoy and pain and deserve respect, and receive specific instruction onwhat to say to young people whom he has influenced in the worstpossible ways.In mid-September, Michael Vick visited PETA's headquarters inNorfolk, Virginia, to meet with me privately. I told him that PETAadvocates an end to all exploitation and needless violence based onprejudice, including the prejudice against other species, and that webelieve that he should equip himself with information and materialsin order to be able to live up to his responsibility to counselchildren not to engage in cruelty to animals. He expressed hiswillingness to learn and his belief that everything in life happensfor a reason, and he offered an apology to PETA and to "everyone"for "what I have done to dogs." I also explained that even if he tookour basic

empathy course, our position that he should serve jail timeand have a lifetime ban on contact with animals would neverthelessremain unchanged, and he accepted that.Two weeks ago, Michael Vick returned to PETA to take the "DevelopingEmpathy for Animals" course, an all-day seminar on "who animals are,"alternatives to cruelty, animal protection philosophy, and humaneeducation, which PETA has now excerpted online. We believe that thiscourse should be adopted by the NFL for all players to take in orderto give them a chance to learn empathy, compassion, and nonviolence.Two days after the seminar, Vick came back to PETA's office to takethe course exam.PETA's course teaches the Golden Ruleâ€"treat others as you wish tobe treated. Only time will tell whether Michael Vick has benefitedfrom what he has learned, but he has pledged to use this knowledge tourge kids not to follow in his footsteps and to be kind to

animals.Meanwhile, we are urging the NFL to take the important step ofrequiring that every player do what Michael Vick has done and takethe course in order to help prevent future acts of violence againstanimals and to equip players with information about respectinganimals that they can share with their young fans.Although the Vick story served as the first glimpse for many peopleinto the gory details of dogfighting, the abuses detailed in Vick'sindictment are as widespread as they are horrific. In the last yearalone, PETA has responded to more than 14,000 calls and e-mailmessages regarding other dogfighting and individual cruelty-to-animals cases. The crucial step now is to urge policymakers and lawenforcement officers to treat all cases of dogfighting and cruelty toanimals the same way that they handled Vick's high-profile case. Tothat end, please join PETA and ask the NFL to require that all itsplayers, some

of whom have been involved in a series of cruelty-to-animals cases, attend PETA's "Developing Empathy for Animals" course.Thank you for helping us do all that we can to make the world abetter place for animals.Yours truly,Ingrid E. NewkirkPresidentP.S. If you'd like to help support PETA's educational programs,please make a donation today.This message was sent to dogs_good Visit your subscriptionmanagement page to modify your e-mail communication preferences orupdate your personal profile. To stop ALL e-mail from PETA's OnlineCommunity, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via e-mail with "remove" in the subject line).This e-mail was sent by:PETA501 Front St., Norfolk, VA 23510United StatesCatch up on fall's hot new shows on TV.

Watch previews, getlistings, and more!--- End forwarded message --- Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth? --George Bernard Shaw http://www.myspace.com/fortheanmals