IndiaDivine.org

Speak for Animals to the Religious

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Those of us who speak for the voiceless have learned that it is a good idea to think ahead and prepare a sentence or two to counter common reasons people give for continuing the subjugation and abuse of animals. While reading today's Christian Vegetarian Association Newsletter, I had a thought or two about religion and animals. I am passing these along in the hopes that they might stimulate a message board discussion or prove useful in countering the arguments of the less compassionate of our religious friends. Maybe others will share her/his thoughts with our on-line community, too. Anyone who has ever looked into the eyes of a non-human animal can see her/his sentience. To the religious, that sentience equates to the soul. Even the Catholic Church has declared animals to have souls. Christianity requires that its adherents treat any creature endowed

with the divine spark (soul) with respect and to do nothing to destroy that life which is the vessel of the soul, except in self-defense of one's own life. Therefore, to Christians, the life and wishes of the animal must be as important as our own. Finally, from today's Christian Vegetarian Newsletter:Her: “God made animals for our use.” Me: “I don't think the animals see it that way.”Just a few thoughts that others might find helpful in

giving voice to the voiceless. Margaret