IndiaDivine.org

Fresh Cranberry Sorbet from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Fresh Cranberry Sorbet Posted: 08 Nov 2007 11:42 AM CST I have an addiction. It affects me during only one season of the year, but still it's a problem because I spend way more money than I should on it and then wind up stuffing my stash in the freezer and hoping that it will last me the rest of the year. I'm talking about my need to buy...Fresh

Cranberries!To tell the truth, I don't even love cranberries that much, but just the thought that I can't get them any other time of the year sends me into hording mode. The beauty of cranberries is that they require no preparation to freeze--just throw the whole bag into the freezer. Each cranberry freezes up separately so you'll be able to easily measure out the amount needed for recipes. No need to thaw before using--just toss them in frozen. And a bag of frozen cranberries is good for about a year--just in time to buy a new supply.Which is where this recipe comes in. I was in the grocery store the other day and couldn't resist the impulse to buy fresh cranberries. But when I got home, it hit me: I still have

cranberries left over from last year! I needed to get rid of last year's berries to make room for this year's, so I whipped up this dessert using a bag of frozen berries. It's kind of an unusual use for cranberries at this time of year, and you may need to throw on a jacket while you eat it, but if you love sweet-tart tastes, give it a try. It's kind of like frozen cranberry relish!Fresh Cranberry Sorbet(printer-friendly version)Ripe pears mellow the tart taste of the cranberries somewhat, but if you like things sweeter, you may need to add more agave nectar or other sweetener.1 package (12 ounces) cranberries*2 ripe pears, peeled and cored1/2 cup agave nectar, or to taste1/2 cup water (approximately)grated rind of one orangePut all ingredients into the food processor and puree until smooth. Pour into a shallow pan or dish and place in the freezer. Let it freeze until solid. About 15 minutes before serving, take it out of the freezer and let it thaw for about 10 minutes. Put it back into the food processor and process until it becomes fluffy. If necessary, add a little cold water to aid in blending. Serve immediately.Or, if you have an ice cream maker, just follow the manufacturer's directions.*You can use frozen cranberries, but be prepared to

process in small batches before adding the other ingredients.Makes about 8 small servings. Per serving: 107 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (1% calories from fat); trace Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; trace Sodium; 3g Fiber.Tags: vegan recipes vegetarian cooking food fat-free Subscribe to Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Comments Feed Photos, original recipes, and text � Susan Voisin and Fatfree Vegan Recipes, 2006-7. All rights reserved. You are d to email updates from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen To stop receiving these emails, you may now.Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner If you prefer to via postal mail, write to: Fatfree Vegan Kitchen, c/o FeedBurner, 20 W Kinzie, 9th Floor, Chicago IL USA 60610