IndiaDivine.org

Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecacke from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Double-Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake Posted: 21 Nov 2007 12:45 PM CST [insert standard "this is not a fat-free recipe" disclaimer here. Geez, what was I thinking when I named this blog!]I know most of you who celebrate Thanksgiving have already figured out your menus. I'm probably the only slacker who still doesn't know what she's cooking! I'm lucky, though. I'm going to my in-laws' celebration which is

essentially a huge pot-luck. We can usually count on there being some side dishes prepared vegan just for us, so I can get away with bringing just a dish or two. At this point, I'm relatively sure that I'm making Bryanna's Soy and Seitan "Turkey," but I'm absolutely positive that I'm making this:This pumpkin cheesecake is without a doubt the most delicious dessert I've had in a long time. The bottom layer is lightly flavored with lemon, while the top layer is pumpkin-flavored without being heavy; eaten together, they're just plain heaven. No, it's not fat-free, but I challenge you to find a lower-fat cheesecake that tastes this good. Also, it

relies on agave nectar for much of its sweetness, so if you're concerned about the glycemic index, that's another point in its favor. But I warn you--you won't be able to stop at just one piece of this luscious cheesecake.Double-Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake(printer-friendly version)8 ounces Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese12 ounces light firm silken tofu (or extra-firm)1/2 cup agave nectar (or sugar)2 tablespoons cornstarch1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice1/2

teaspoon vanilla1/2 cup pumpkin puree (canned, not pumpkin pie mix)2 teaspoons rum (optional)3 tablespoons brown sugar or natural sugar1/2 teaspoon cinnamon1/4 teaspoon ginger1/4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg (please!)1 pre-made 8-inch graham cracker crustPreheat the oven to 350F.Put the first set of ingredients (toffuti through vanilla) in a food processor and puree until completely smooth. It should be silky smooth--not chalky or lumpy.Remove a cup of this mixture from the processor and spread it in the bottom of the crust.Add the next set of ingredients (pumpkin through nutmeg) to the ingredients remaining in the food processor and process until well blended. Smooth it carefully over the white layer in the crust, heaping it slightly in the middle. Bake until the center is almost set, about 45-55 minutes. Remove from the oven

and allow to cool. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 3 hours. Serve to delighted guests. (Don't tell them it's vegan, and they won't know!)Serves 8. Per serving (not including the crust): 218 Calories (kcal); 7g Total Fat; (28% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 179mg Sodium.Hope all of you who celebrate it have a happy Thanksgiving. And if you don't celebrate, you may in fact be saving your own life!Tags: vegan recipes vegetarian cooking food fat-free Subscribe to Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Comments Feed Photos, original recipes, and text � Susan Voisin and Fatfree Vegan Recipes, 2006-7. All rights reserved. You are d to email updates from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen To stop receiving these emails, you may now.Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner If you prefer to via postal mail, write to: Fatfree Vegan Kitchen, c/o FeedBurner, 20 W Kinzie, 9th Floor, Chicago IL USA 60610

Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Mobile. Try it now.