IndiaDivine.org

Urge Dallas City Council Not to Limit # of Household Pets

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Contact Mayor Leppert and civilly urge him and the city council to abandon the idea of limiting the number of companion animals for each Dallas household (see below letter). Remember to include your name, mailing address, and telephone number in your polite correspondence. MargaretEmail contact: http://www.ci.dallas.tx.us/forms/mcc/mayor_mail_form.htmMayor Tom LeppertDallas City Hall1500 Marilla Street, Room 5ENDallas, TX 75201-6390Main Phone: (214) 670-4054Fax: (214) 670-0646See the email Tawana Jurek sent (cross

posted with permission). Sorry but I just couldn't get all the little carrots out. It's still a readable and good letter. MargaretTawana Jurek <tawanajurek wrote: Fwd: letter to council pet limitation Posted by:"Tawana Jurek" tawanajurek tawanajurek Tue Dec 4, 2007 12:12 pm (PST) --- Tawana Couch wrote: tawanajurek@ Tawana Couch letter to council pet limitationTue, 4 Dec 2007 14:06:46 -0600 About 20 years ago the City of Dallas considered apet limitation law. Dallas citizens said NO then. My personalvet had a petition against this law. It could effect their businessand they said NO along with the majority of

their clients. I thinkeven now it is not a good idea. As a long time rescuer of well over athousand dogs and cats in the City of Dallas I can tell you theproblem is not the number of animals per household. Most pet ownersDONT OWN ALOT OF PETS. It is costly to own a lot of pets so peoplethat have 5-10 pets are huge animal lovers. They are usually rescuers,single, married no children, etc. and having pets are their family.Having a limit only hurts the big animal lovers.> > > > I adopt rescue animals all over the metroplex and> I run into fewer > > animals being adopted in cities that have pet> > limitation laws. I adopt most of my animals to people in Dallas where currently there is no limit. Dallas citizens have invested millions> > into a new animal > > shelter where the focus is adoption. Who is going> to> > adopt if they > > already have their

limit?> > > > As an animal rescuer I want to end overpopulation> of> > unwanted animals > > more than anyone. I have put my life work into> > solving this problem. > > The majority of animals I rescue are off the> streets> > in Oak Cliff and > > South Dallas. Many I have to trap they are feral> > dogs. Feral dogs > > have never had a home or human contact. They breed> > off the street and > > roam the neighborhoods and people complain. They> get> > peoples pets > > barking, they produce unwanted litters and the> cycle> > continues. I > > have a feral dog at the vet today it will get> tamed> > and be up for > > adoption hopefully in a few weeks. I go up and> down> > streets, alleys, > > schools, etc. in South Dallas and I never see

any> > house that has over > > 3 pets in their yards.> > > > I think the focus needs to be on backyard> breeders.> > This should be > > outlawed.> > > > A friend of mine reminded me of a party years ago> > she attended that I > > gave. She said that everyone around 40 people that> > were there said > > they had around 10 pets per person. They were all> > animal lovers. Now > > Dallas wants to go after the animal people with a> > pet limitation law?> > > > If the council creates this law people should> still> > be able to have > > 10. Over 10 might be considered a collector but> each> > case should be > > looked at. I know of a lot of people that have 10> > and their house is > > clean and the animals are well behaved. The

worst> > case of neighbor > > complaint in my neighborhood is a guy with 1 dog.> > Dogs are pack > > animals and 1 dog will have major behavior> problems.> > They will bark, > > dig, etc. non stop. Fence fighting is another> > problem that creates > > non stop barking no matter the number of animals> one> > has. Most people > > don’t know what this is and I did not learn this> > till recently.> > > > If the City of Dallas does put a limit on pets> there> > has to be > > exemptions for the following reasons:> > > > 1. Rescuers> > 2. Dr. Notes accepted for people that need a high> > number of pets. The > > pets can be used for either emotional needs or> > physical needs. The > > city needs to exempt people that have notes. We> >

already accept these > > notes when people fly on airlines with their pets.> > Yes we even accept > > tiny dogs that travel with people for emotional> > needs.> > 3. Security Reasons- I have been at gun point> twice> > in my life but I > > refuse to carry a gun due to religious reasons-> Thou> > shall not kill. > > My only protection is my dogs since I am single> and> > live alone. I > > would be terrified if I did not have my pack of> > dogs. One of the gun > > incidence was a house break in. Exemptions for> > religious reasons and > > security reasons should be included.> > 4. Sanctuaries- Many people provide care for> > unwanted animals in > > their home that cannot be placed in the public for> > adoption. They > > have set up mini place for these

animals and they> > should qualify for > > exemption. No limit as long as the place is keep> > properly.> > 5. Animal behaviorist/ trainers. They usually have> > high numbers of > > animals at their homes and some are their own> pets.> > 6. If people own multiple dwellings they can have> > multiple pets per > > dwelling. Example: If I have 3 pets at my resident> > and own another > > house 3 pets should be allowed if I rent the house> > out to someone > > that has 0 pets. I am paying taxes so it is my> > property and I should > > be able to own animals to that property in which I> > rent a house out. > > I know of someone that does this in a city where> > there is a pet > > limitation law.> > > > I strongly encourage the council to do the>

following> > to end > > overpopulation:> > > > 1. Door to door canvas program.> > 2. Work with people on the feral animal issues.> > 3. Pass mandatory spay neuter laws.> > 4. Get dogs off of chains (this is why dogs bark> day> > and night).> > 5. No breeding of animals in Dallas till the> > overpopulation is under > > control.> > 6. Offer free classes with Animal Behaviorist at> the> > new shelter. > > Give the attendees free animal registration and> > other city benefits > > if they attend.> > 7. Free microchip of pet owners pets. This will> help> > track the feral > > animal problem and unite people and their pets.> This> > is done is > > Seattle where the majority of pets that end up at> > the shelter are > >

reunited.> > 8. Free ride home program. This is where the pet> > owner gets their pet > > out of the shelter free if it is microchip,> === message truncated === Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. http://tools.search./newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.