IndiaDivine.org

Mandatory Spay/Neuter - way to go!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I wish this was the law across the entire U.S.! animals are not PROPERTY! Requiring pet sterilization will save animals' lives December 17, 2007 By Scanlon ChristofiKudos to Mark Hollis and the South Florida Sun-Sentinel for their surface-scratching article on mandatory spay/neuter of companion animals.As a humane educator (animal rights activist) recently transplanted from New York, I think a mandatory sterilization ordinance is a fantastic plan of action for the state of Florida. This is a win-win situation! The quoted 150,000 dogs and cats euthanized in Palm Beach County were the lucky ones. What about the animals given to labs who suffer endlessly at the hands of "the more intelligent species" (I beg to differ) in the name of science? What about our homeless, voiceless counterparts that are dumped/left to survive in the sweltering heat, wandering, hungry, confused and afraid, only to be struck down by a motorist or abused by an annoyed home owner? What about the animals who sit in no-kill shelters for years, only to suffer from a form of psychosis (zoochosis) that

promotes "cage crazy" behavior?Of course, the American Kennel Club is upset by this ordinance, for it strikes them in the wallet! Tsk-tsk! Animal overpopulation affects purebreds as well. They are not immune or exempt from over-breeding. Case in point: Remember when the movie, 101 Dalmatians came out? Countless numbers of parents ran to breeders to acquire such a breed for obvious reasons: status seekers/pop culture. Dalmatians are energetic dogs that can be difficult to train, and many of them are hearing impaired due to a genetic defect. Thousands upon thousands of Dalmatians wound up in shelters shortly after that Christmas. I guess that cute puppy grew to be too big of a problem for some, the problem being responsibility!Puppy mills are disgusting, unethical and do not have the dogs' (ever so plural) welfare at heart. Over-breeding, lack of medical attention and poor living conditions in extreme weather is the order of their day! A breeder's

sole purpose in life is to make as much money as possible off the misery/suffering and over-breeding of an animal. Case closed. This is not a Disney film we're talking about. There is no happy ending for these sentient beings with minimal rights.A documentary titled Earthlings, narrated by actor Joaquin Phoenix, exposes the animal abuse and neglect of puppy mills, shelters, pet shops and breeders alike. If your readers can bring themselves to watch this film, I guarantee their lives will never be the same.The key is affordable spay/neuter. I applaud Palm Beach County for its pro-active, low-cost spay/neuter program. The reality is that the low-cost spay/neuter program is not effective unless society is educated to its availability. Albeit, education and responsibility are key!Many health issues (such as cancer) arise with animals that are not spayed or neutered. The minimal investment of low-cost spaying and neutering could lessen the

possibility of our voiceless companions becoming unwell. Not such a high price to pay for a healthy friend. I've priced many low-cost spay and neuter clinics for animals that I've rescued, and it varies from $15 to $30 (with shots), contrary to the misinformed/biased Heidi Cole of Jupiter-Tequesta Dog Club, who feels that spaying/neutering will lead to the owner incurring high vet expenses. This is an unfounded statement from a person who supports breeding. An educated consumer is the best customer. Google "low-cost spay/neuter" or contact your local shelter. They are always happy to volunteer that information.Thanks, Sun-Sentinel, for the front-page coverage of this extremely important topic. I am only sorry that I was unaware of the town hall meeting that occurred regarding this ordinance on pet sterilization. Much appreciation for keeping me up to date on these important animal/environmental issues. I respect the Sentinel's sensitivity toward

the rights of animals and the rights of our planet. Scanlon Christofi is a resident of Boca Raton. http://www.crueltyfree.com/ForTheAnimals My Cafepress shop: http://www.cafepress.com/allforthem