IndiaDivine.org

Recipe: Split Pea Soup from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Thick and Hearty Split Pea Soup Posted: 18 Dec 2007 08:30 AM CST If your days are as busy and rushed as mine have been lately, perhaps you won't mind if I give barely any introduction to this recipe. In a way, this is a soup that needs no introduction: it's your basic, all-purpose, down-to-earth split-pea soup. This is the one I whip up when I'm serving curry-haters (yes, they do exist!) or am just in the mood for a milder soup that gets its flavor from

caramelized onions and vegetables, rather than spices. It's true comfort food--quick comfort food if you use the pressure cooker. In about half an hour, you can go from wondering what's for dinner to sitting down to eat. And in these busy days, who can resist that?Thick and Hearty Split Pea Soup(printer-friendly version)2 medium onions, chopped2 cloves garlic, minced3 carrots, diced3 ribs celery, chopped2 cups dried split peas, checked carefully for debris and rinsed6-8 cups water2 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped1 large bay leaf1/2 teaspoon celery seed1 teaspoon dried basil1 teaspoon dried thyme1-2

teaspoons liquid smoke2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)freshly ground black pepper, to tasteSpray the bottom of a pressure cooker or Dutch oven with oil. Saut� the onions for about 5 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan often, until they begin to caramelize. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery and cook for 2 more minutes.Add the peas to the pot. If you're using a pressure cooker, add 6 cups of water; for regular cooking, add 8 cups water. Stir in the potatoes, bay leaf, celery seed, basil, and thyme.For pressure cooking: Seal the cooker and bring to high pressure. Lower heat and cook at high pressure for 6 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the pressure to come down naturally. If beans are not completely cooked, cover loosely and

cook (without pressure) until they reach the desired tenderness.For regular cooking: Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over very low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until peas are soft and disintegrate when stirred.Add the liquid smoke, salt, and pepper. Check the seasoning and add more herbs if necessary. Cook several minutes uncovered to thicken (or add water to thin). Serve with warm whole-grain bread.Makes about 8 servings, and tastes even better the next day!Per serving: 216 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (2% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 565mg Sodium; 15g Fiber.If curried split-pea soups are your thing, here are a couple of my favorites:Yellow Split-Pea Soup with Sweet Potatoes and KaleCurried Split-Pea Soup with CauliflowerOr, if you prefer smoky, southwestern flavors, take a look at Southwestern Split-Pea Soup.Tags: vegan recipes vegetarian cooking food fat-free Subscribe to Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Comments Feed Photos, original recipes, and text � Susan Voisin and Fatfree Vegan Recipes, 2006-7. All rights reserved. Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.