IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: Two Tragedies at The San Francisco Zoo

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,

Margaret asked me to post the letter I sent to The San Francisco Chronicle. I have not heard back from them nor do I expect to especially after hearing that a memorial was held yesterday for the young man who died. It is sad that the majority of the public does not see the equal tragedy of the Tiger's death.

Marilyn M.

"Not until we extend the circle of compassion to include all living

things shall we ourselves know peace"

~Rev Dr. Albert Schweitzer

On Christmas Day a tale of two tragedies occurred. The first concerned the lives of humans; one dead and two others injured. The second tragedy was the killing of a beautiful Siberian Tiger who was taken from her original habitat and enclosed for the viewing pleasure of another species. Currently, the story is unfolding and to date we don't know if mischief was involved in the two deaths; one human and one feline. Both were unnecessary and horribly tragic.

If animals are to be taken from their natural surroundings and displayed for our amusement, it is imperative that they and the public are protected. A young man's life was lost and a magnificent animal was killed for acting on her natural instincts. Perhaps she was teased by young men who are omnipotent, carefree, and unrealistic about the dangers of the animal world outside of their YouTube or television viewing. Time will tell if they were complacent in this unfortunate event.

As we enter the twenty-first century it behooves humans to rethink treating animals as objects of our pleasure, whether the venue is a zoo, circus, rodeo, or Las Vegas show. Animals deserve our respect and admiration. They shouldn't have to pay with their lives whenever we refuse to do so and merely treat them as disposable objects of profit.

Sincerely,

Marilyn Mouradjian RN, MSN

Clarkson, Michigan