IndiaDivine.org

(US) California Animal Activist shows how anyone can put their compassion into action

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Nanthan Runkle's world was rocked the day activists handed him someliterature explaining how billions of animals are treated every yearin our society. "I had never heard of factory farming or vivisectionor veal crates or battery cages," he says. "I was shocked. I felt sickto my stomach." Even at 11 years old, Nathan knew he had to dosomething about this injustice, and he did: He promptly stopped eatinganimals and then, four years later, established one of most activeanimal-rights groups in the United States .Nathan is among more than 100 activists readers will meet in Strikingat the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism. Concise and fullof practical examples and resources, this manual for successdemonstrates how many of the world's most engaged advocates overcomeobstacles, speak to the public, lobby policymakers, conduct corporateand restaurant outreach, deal with law enforcement, cope with stressand avoid

burnout – all while keeping their eyes on the prize ofachieving victories for animals....About the writer:Mark Hawthorne adopted a vegetarian lifestyle soon after an encounterwith one of India 's many cows in 1992 and went vegan a decade later.His writing has appeared in Satya, VegNews, Vegan Voice, Herbivore,Hinduism Today, Lapis.com, Utne.com and daily newspapers across the US. He serves on the outreach advisory council for Animal Place , afarmed-animal sanctuary and education centre in northern California .Much of Mark's work is chronicled on his website.-- full story:http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/home/Frontpage/2008/01/08/02101.html The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. -Hippocrates