IndiaDivine.org

Animal welfare groups protest long-distance animal transport

Rate this topic

Guest guest

[Note from Poster: After this brief article many people posted comments online. I choose the comment posted by Cathy for you to read, and then many of the responses to her comment underneath that. There are different comments as well. You can see what kind of mentality we are up against. What is interesting here are the amount of people who simply dismiss all concern for animal welfare with statments like "save your compassion for hungry children", and "people are more important", etc., when in reality these callous individuals probably do absolutely nothing to assist children in their community. And if the condescending nature of their comments reflect their true level of comraderie they feel for their fellow man, as I suspect it does, then I doubt any of them have ever volunteered or felt a passion for any cause -- human or otherwise -- in their entire lives. Most of the time, such comments are simply a futile effort to not deal with the real issue

at hand.] Animal welfare groups protest long-distance animal transport By Ann Bagel Storck on 2/13/2008 for Meatingplace.com http://www.meatingplace.com/MembersOnly/webNews/details.aspx?item=19817 A global coalition of animal welfare groups has launched a campaign calling on governments to stop what it terms "the brutality of transporting live animals long distances simply to be slaughtered at the journey's end." The coalition — which includes the World Society for the Protection of Animals, the Humane Society of the United States/Humane Society International, Born Free USA and the Animal Protection Institute — cites an example of pigs being transported from Canada to Hawaii, where they are slaughtered and sold as "Island Produced Pork." The groups conducted a two-year investigation of such practices and compiled undercover footage of their research. The footage and a letter of protest against long-distance transport of animals for slaughter can be viewed at http://www.handlewithcare.tv/. COMMENTS: Cathy wrote:Don't you guys have any compassion for other living beings? Those long trips are totally inhumane. They are shoved in so tight they can't move and often have no access to water. Do you have any pets? Imagine them in that situation. Do you think farm animals are not as smart or feeling? Not true. So go ahead; enjoy your meat knowing how it got to you. Responses to her comments:I really don't care and there is no amount of whining and crying that will make me care. I eat meat and I don't

apologize for that fact, I do care how fresh it is. I would rather have the live animal shipped to a processing plant near my location than to have the meat or carcass shiped by refrigerated truck to my location. So I'm sorry I will enjoy my meat knowing how it got to me. PETS ARE PETS FARM ANIMALS WERE PUT ON THE EARTH TO FEED THE PEOPLE AND THE OTHERS CAN LOOK AFTER THE TRANSPORTATION OF THOSE TURNIPS Well said Cathy. I like my steak but watching this sort of thing makes me think about the true cost of it. As for "Island Produced" - talk about a load of bs This is not a matter of compassion. If you truly believe the animals are crammed into ships like slaves in the 1800's you would be mistaken. There would be virtually zero profitability in a practice that is in-humane. You can't economically sustain the shrink that would happen nor the death loss. In

addition, if the animals do not have time to recover, regain the lbs, all the meat would be PSE from this sort of stress (economically devastating). The only complaint should be that the "island produced pork" statement is open-ended. But wait a minute what does "NATURAL" really mean? So without doing any homework myself on this one....the hogs are more than likely shipped as feeders (piglets) and then finished on the island, then slaughtered. Finally....mmmmm they taste good even if they have been picked up with a forklift so we can knock em in the head. Obviously you have way to much time on your hands. Please spend what you have on helping children and the elderly. When you have this accomplished lets talk animals. _____ FOR FURTHER READING, VISIT THE SITES MENTIONED IN THE ARTICLE: World Society for the Protection of Animals http://www.wspa-international.org/ Born Free USA http://www.api4animals.org/index2.php Handle with Care http://www.handlewithcare.tv/

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.