IndiaDivine.org

FW: THE CAMPUS CATS! URGENT !!!!! THEIR LIVES ARE IN YOUR HANDS - please sign the petition and write a short message!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

---------- Forwarded message ----------R.A. Kirkpatrick <raazk10-feb-2008 20:20FW: THE CAMPUS CATS! URGENT !!!!! THEIR LIVES ARE IN YOUR HANDS - please sign the petition and write a short message!raazk Please take some time to send a letter to the NSW University regarding a colony of cats living on campus. Time is running out for the

cats. Also pls. sign petition below and forward widely. Thank you! meriem Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:08 AMTHE CAMPUS CATS! URGENT !!!!! THEIR LIVES ARE IN YOUR HANDS - please sign the petition and write a short message! Importance: High Message from TeresaWLPA [teresa] Dear friends Thank you very much for helping cats on UNSW campus. Number of signatures on petition is getting higher every day. If you did not sign this petition please do it now, as time is running out. I also hope that you had a chance to write your letters to the management of UNSW (see action 2 below). They do not have to be long - just state your point, even one or two paragraphs will do. I forgot to ask you to copy them to Campus Cats Coalition using e-mail unswcampuscats. If you have already send your letters please forward them to unswcampuscats. It is important that CCC has record of your letters. Please circulate this e-mail again. Thank you for caring from Teresa and Campus Cats (their life is in your hands). *************************************************************************************** University of NSW (Sydney Australia) wants to kill all free-living cats on UNSW campus. Matter is URGENT - the killing starts this week. Please circulate this alert amongst your friends and colleagues.At present free living cat colonies are managed with a nonlethal method called Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR), in which cats are humanely (and painlessly) trapped, spayed/neutered, vaccinated, microchipped and returned to their colony site .They are regularly provided with food, shelter and veterinary care. They have lived in this area for many years and developed a strong bond with their home territory and each other and

the people who care for them. They pose no health threat to humans. (Dead animals are, of course, removed promptly). It the present colonies are killed, new, undesexed cats are certain to move in and the problems will recur. The cycle perpetuates. In fact having a small population of desexed cats on campus is beneficial to the University as they controlled the vermin population as well as protecting their territory and stopping others from entering. Many cats and kittens are being adopted . A lady who adopted one of campus cats said : "Campus cats seem to have a special love when adopted as they have been abandoned and appreciate life when loved and nurtured...He (her adopted cat) is the most lovable cat and my friends say he is obsessed with me as he sits on top of me and puts his little paw up to my face and gently touches it. He sleeps with me, tells me off when I sleep in and virtually rules our house. He is very social ...I don't know what my life would be like without my Sweetie boy and I dread anything ever happening to him as he is the centre of our household." Other countries have learned how to live with free living cats. See section below on Free living cats in Rome. Please take following action:1) Sign the petition http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/UNSW-Campus-cats Please do not sign anonymous, it has bigger impact if you put your name. 2) Urgently write polite e-mail/letter, requesting that the cats are allowed to continue to live on the campus, to: - Prof. Fred Hilmer, Vice Chancellor - f.hilmer or vice-chancellor ; tel (02)9385 2855; address UNSW,Sydney 2052 - Peter Graham, Chief Operating Officer coo ; tel (02)9385 3608; address: UNSW,Sydney 2052 - Alan Egan, Director of Facilities Management, Chair of Level 2 Occ Health & Safety Committee a.egan ; tel (02)9385 3961; address: UNSW,Sydney 2052 Please copy your e-mails to Campus Cats Coalition using e-mail unswcampuscats Please make sure that your correspondence is polite, as unhelpful actions...such as going to the Media prematurely or abusive language will only harm the attempts to save campus cats. For more info please visit http://www.campuscats.org.au 3) Make donation - Campus Cats Coalition more than ever needs to raise funds for microchiping, neutering and every day feeding. Following are the details of Commonwealth Bank account:BSB Number: 062-559Account Number: 10264077Account Name: Moggie Magic IncAccount details have also been posted on the Support CCC page:http://campuscats.org.au/contents/support_ccc.htm**************************************************************************************** Some more insights about free living cats below: Free living cats in RomeDABS June 2007 Newsletter had the following: THE WILD CATS OF ROME : Under Rome's remarkable Animal Right laws, adopted in 1988, wild cats are guaranteed the right to live where they are born. They cannot be chased from courtyards, rooftops, parks, street corners or archaeological sites.

Monica Cirinna, a city councilor who heads the Rome office of Animal Rights says, " We no longer talk about stray cats, but about animals that have chosen to live in freedom, like birds". (Cat Defence Newsletter)Benedict and the cats" Unlike Wisconsin, which seriously considered a proposal to allow hunting season on feral cats, Rome just lives with them. For me, one of the Italian capital's charms was seeing the colonies of cats populating the Forum and other Roman ruins, as well as some of the city's parks and open spaces. Kindly Romans go out and feed them daily. It doesn't seem the worst way to handle the feral cat problem.Apparently one of those colonies is established somewhere in the vicinity of Vatican City, because Morag told me the most charming story I've yet heard about our new pope, Benedict XVI. It seems that Benedict—then Cardinal Joseph

Ratzinger—used to walk to work every morning from his small apartment to St. Peter's Square. Along the way he passed a cemetery that was home to one of Rome's colonies of cats. The Swiss Guard whom Morag heard interviewed speculated that the cardinal must have fed them. In any event, witnesses said that when Ratzinger sat on his favored bench to read for a while, the cats arrayed themselves all around him, some sitting, some standing, some lying in the sun at his feet. And when he got up to go to work, they followed him. The Swiss Guard reported the cardinal coming to the door of his office trailed by cats. Once his door closed, they high-tailed it back to their cemetery/home." For more info how we can live with free living cats visit links: - http://www.messybeast.com , especially section "WHY FERAL ERADICATION WON'T WORK" http://www.messybeast.com/eradicat.htm - http://www.alleycat.org If you have any questions or would like to help Campus Cats in any other way, please contact Campus Cats Coalition via e-mail unswcampuscats or visit http://www.campuscats.org.au for more contact details. Please sign petition and write your emails/letters urgently. Please do not forget to circulate this e-mail. - for all animals (cats included!) Teresa -- MENTAYFLOR LOOKIEEE -> www.meat.ORGLife is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage. - Sri AurobindoA man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral. - Leo Tolstoyhttp://www.crueltyfree.com/Vegan1

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.