IndiaDivine.org

Easy, Smoky Refried Bean Soup from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Smoky Refried Bean Soup Posted: 04 Mar 2008 11:09 AM CST Today's easy recipe turned out to be so delicious and comforting that I can see it becoming a regular meal at my house. Like my last R.E. recipe, it uses refried beans (though I assure you that not all my ridiculous recipes do!) I know that some people turn their noses up at canned refried beans, and though I

agree that freshly made taste better, the canned version is such a great convenience. In this soup, they contribute a wonderful creamy mouth-feel that will make you think the soup is richer than it is. But if you don't like using canned refried beans, you can always do it the old fashioned way: whiz up a cup and a half of pinto beans in your food processor with a little of their liquid and add them straight to the soup. No frying needed!Smoky Refried Bean Soup(printer-friendly version)This soup is so thick it's almost a chili. Use the minimum amounts of chipotle chili powder and

hot sauce to make this a mild dish or add more to make it as hot as you dare.1 large onion, chopped3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced1 green bell pepper, chopped1 1/2 cups vegetable broth1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used fire-roasted)15 ounces fatfree refried beans15 ounces black beans, cooked1 cup frozen corn kernels1 teaspoon cumin1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika 1/8 - 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (to taste)1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste) 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano (optional) salt and pepper, to tasteSpray a large, non-stick pot with cooking spray, and sauté the onion until it begins to brown. Add the garlic and bell pepper and cook for one more minute. Add all the remaining ingredients and cook until

the flavors blend, 20-30 minutes.Serving suggestion: Garnish with fresh tomato salsa and serve with baked tortilla chips and a large salad.Makes 4 large servings. Per serving: 257 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (4% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 895mg Sodium; 14g Fiber. Weight Watchers Core (4 Flex Points).Tags: vegan recipes vegetarian cooking food fat-free Subscribe to Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Comments Feed Photos, original recipes, and text © Susan Voisin and Fatfree Vegan Recipes, 2006-7. All rights reserved.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.