IndiaDivine.org

Write opinion writer animal research (torture) is fraud!!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Send a polite, well written LTE explaining how meds that test safe on animals usually don't on people! We don't go to a vet when we're sick, do we? Animal research is complete and utter fraud, just a million dollar money maker. [seattle Post Intelligencer - opinion]THEY ARE restrained in chairs, their heads bolted so that they cannotmove while being probed. They are kept hungry or thirsty so they willcomply.No, this isn't a scene from Abu Ghraib.It describes what animal rights activists say happens to primates at aUniversity of Washington lab, now under scrutiny by the feds after acomplaint from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA.I've got to hand it to animal rights types. They're adept at keepingthe abuse of defenseless critters front and center -- and that's good.They speak up for creatures that can't talk, for

creatures that gothrough hell so we can enjoy perfumes, wear certain fabrics, and, yes,take lifesaving pharmaceuticals....I don't agree with animal rights folks on everything. Some research isnecessary to ensure the safety of drugs for human use, but sciencemust occur within guidelines. This is why the UW is in hot water.Rules are rules.Animals shouldn't be unnecessarily or unlawfully tortured in the nameof science.Just like human beings shouldn't be unnecessarily or unlawfullytortured in the name of war.Walking away from the protest, I wondered about the thin line betweenanimal abuse and people abuse.Both types of torture are wrong -- both warrant protests.P-I columnist Robert L. Jamieson Jr. can be reached at 206-448-8125 orrobertjamieson.-- full story:http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/jamieson/353888_robert06x.html