IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: Speak Out About Shocking Marine Video

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Everyone,

If you have heard about this story, I am sure you are as shocked as I was. To learn more about the Marines' inhumane action, please read the accompanying message from ASPCA. I will spare you hearing about the other stories, that are coming our of Iraq, in regard to our military, (some, of course), committing the most inhumane acts towards animals. Most of our military are good men and women. Won't you please write to the USMC and ask that they take swift action against those who create such a negative image on their fellow brothers and sisters?

I am also forwarding my letter to the USMC.

Thanks so much.

Dear USMC:

First, I want you to know that I am a proud daughter of a W.W.II Marine vet. He taught me "if you weren't a Marine, you weren't @#$% & !". I grew up believing that Marines were to be honored and most were heroes, especially those in W.W.II. With that being said, I couldn't be more upset and angry of the reports I am hearing about our military torturing, killing and making "sport" of defenseless Iraqi animals.

The most recent story to surface was the horrific video, of at least two Marines throwing a puppy off a cliff to its death. As a psychiatric nurse, I want to express that this is not normal behavior. Actually, it looks very much like the criteria we use to diagnosis a sociopath. These boys need psychological help and must pay the consequences (punishment) for such an inhumane act toward another being.

As a Marine's daughter, I will be watching to see how the USMC will appropriately and quickly deal with this issue. Our Marine Corp should not be producing, and defending, individuals who are so severely morally and ethically challenged. I am counting on the USMC to do the right thing.

Semper Fi,

Marilyn C

Michigan

March 14, 2008Welcome to our weekly email newsletter, your source for the latest news from our animal welfare community and information on pending humane legislation.

USMC Responds To ASPCA Request To Release Findings Of Investigation Surrounding Shocking VideoOn Friday, March 7, the ASPCA issued a press release urging the United States Marine Corps to release the findings of its investigation of a video clip showing a member of the military—seemingly a Marine—flinging a puppy across a rocky landscape. The ASPCA also urged concerned citizens to contact the USMC to voice their outrage. Response to our release by humanitarians nationwide was enormous—and prompted a reply from the USMC.

ASPCA Success Story of the Week: Shine A Little LightWith her serious smarts and golden good looks, this Anatolian shepherd has a very bright future.

Watch and Learn: 17 Common Plants That Are Poisonous to PetsIn our new video, ASPCA poison control experts show pet parents what flora should be forbidden at home.

Decorating Easter Eggs Next Week?Make sure your eggs come from chickens who are raised humanely. Look for the Certified Humane Raised & Handled label, and have a beautiful holiday!

Honor Loved Ones While Helping Homeless PetsMemorial giving saves animals’ lives while paying tribute to a loved one who has passed on.

FL: Help Shelters Reunite Lost Pets with Their Owners!Please send a personalized email to members of the Florida Board of Veterinary Medicine and express your opposition to their proposed measure to strip animal shelters of their ability to microchip animals in their care.

IL: Let Animal Rescuers Do Their Jobs without FearHB 5076 would protect those who provide free disaster relief to animals from lawsuits. The bill could be voted on by the Illinois House any day, so please email your state representative on its behalf!

More Alerts For Your Area...

In honor of National Poison Prevention Week (March 16-March 22), we’re holding a live chat with two toxicology experts from the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. Hosting the chat are Dana Farbman, CVT, Senior Manager, Professional Communications, and Dr. Eric Dunayer, Veterinary Toxicologist. Farbman and Dunayer will be on hand to answer all your questions on protecting pets from harmful substances. The chat will be held Thursday, March 20, from noon to 2:00 P.M. EST, and will take place in the ASPCA Online Community.

If you share your life with a pit bull, you know how much there is to love about these intelligent, lively, goofy and incredibly loyal dogs.

The ASPCA and Animal Farm Foundation share your opinion, and that’s why we’ve launched the ASPCA Adopt-A-Bull contest to celebrate the perfect matches of American pit bull terriers with their forever families. If you recently adopted a pit bull or predominantly pit bull mix from a shelter using ASPCA’s Meet Your Match™ adoption program, we want to hear from you!

Enter our contest and you and your dog could win big—and so could your shelter!

- Un or change your email preferences.- Want to make sure you receive all of the ASPCA's latest newsletters and alerts? To prevent ASPCA email from being caught by your spam filter, please put website in your email address book. Learn how.