IndiaDivine.org

Recipe: Dublin Coddle with Vegan Sausages from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dublin Coddle with Vegan Sausages

4 Irish Fauxsages (see below) or about 12 ounces of other vegan sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes (about 4 medium), cut into

1/2-inch slices1 large onion, sliced2 tablespoons parsley, minced salt and pepper, to taste1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or prepared bouillon1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring3/4 cup dark beer (optional)Brown the "sausages" in a non-stick skillet. In a large Dutch oven with a heavy lid, layer the ingredients in this order:Half of the potatoesSalt and pepperHalf of the onionsHalf of the parsleyAll of the FauxsagesRemaining PotatoesSalt and pepperRemaining OnionsRemaining ParsleyMix the Liquid Smoke into the broth and pour it over all. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to the lowest setting and cover tightly. Cook for about an hour, or until potatoes are very tender. Add the beer if you're using it, and simmer for about 15 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and serve with Irish Soda

Bread.Note: This could easily be cooked in a slow cooker; for best results, double the recipe for large crockpots and cook on low for 6-8 hours.Makes 4 servings. Per serving (without beer): 353 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (7% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 51g Carbohydrate; 0g Cholesterol; 582mg Sodium; 9g Fiber. Weight Watchers Flex Points=7.With beer: 371 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (6% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 0g Cholesterol; 585mg Sodium; 9g Fiber. Weight Watchers Flex Points=7.If you haven't tried it yet, you have to make a batch of Julie's Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausages. The recipe is wonderful in its simplicity and its consistently delicious results. You can see for yourself how

easy it is by watching Julie's video. She's even challenged people to put their own spins on the recipe, so if you do a Veg Blog Search, you'll find dozens of different

sausage variations on other blogs.Since Irish sausages are mild and sweet, not spicy or smoky, for my Irish variation I completely changed the spices to reflect traditional Irish sausage recipes. Marjoram, ginger, and nutmeg are standard, but since gluten doesn't have any flavor of its own, I needed to add a few non-traditional seasonings--sage and thyme--to build up a flavor base. Irish sausages typically contain bread crumbs as a binding agent, so I added some to mine, making them moister and a little less firm than Julie's original recipe (a good thing, in my opinion, though how firm you like your sausage is a matter of personal taste!) They turned out the texture and color of cooked Gimme Lean, and I think they'd make a nice breakfast sausage, perhaps with just a touch of smoked paprika or Liquid Smoke.Irish Fauxsages (Vegan Irish Sausages)(printer-friendly version)1 vegan bouillon cube (enough to flavor 2 cups water, see below)1 slice whole wheat bread1 cup vital wheat gluten2 tablespoons nutritional yeast1/2 tablespoon onion powder1/4 teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon marjoram1/2 teaspoon thyme1/2 teaspoon ground sage1/4 teaspoon ginger1/4 teaspoon nutmeg1 teaspoon flax seeds, ground1 cup cool water3 cloves garlic, minced1 tablespoon cashew butter1 tablespoon soy sauceDissolve the "beef" bouillon cube in 2 tablespoons of hot water

and set aside to cool. Toast the piece of bread until medium-brown, and then put it into the food processor and pulse until it's in fine crumbs.Put the bread crumbs into a large bowl and add the remaining dry ingredients, wheat gluten through flax seeds, stirring well to distribute the seasonings evenly. Mix the bouillon mixture with the cool water in a large measuring cup or bowl and add the garlic, cashew butter, and soy sauce. Whisk or blend with a hand blender until ingredients are well-distributed.Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir to mix just until evenly moistened. Add a little more water if it seems too dry.Place a piece of aluminum foil on the counter, and scoop 1/2 cup of gluten mixture onto it. Shape into a rough tube, fold the bottom edge of the foil over the gluten, and roll up. Roll the tube back and forth, pressing lightly with your hands, to give it an even shape, and then twist the ends closed. Repeat with the

remaining gluten to form 5 sausages.Place all the sausages in the top of a steamer, cover, and steam for 35 minutes. Remove them from the heat and let cool until easy to handle. Fauxsages can then be used in recipes or eaten as-is. (I always eat one right away--just to check the quality, of course!)Makes 5 sausages. Per sausage: 221 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (10% calories from fat); 35g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 607mg Sodium; 6g Fiber. Weight Watchers Flex Points=4.In this recipe I used one cube of Edward & Sons' Not-Beef Bouillon; it's vegan, and one cube flavors 2 cups of liquid. Since I wanted the flavor to be a little stronger than normal bouillon, I used double the amount, so if you're using another kind of bouillon or broth powder, I recommend using enough to flavor two cups of water.Happy St. Patrick's Day...2009!Tags: vegan recipes vegetarian cooking food fat-free Subscribe to Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Comments Feed Photos, original recipes, and text � Susan Voisin and Fatfree Vegan Recipes, 2006-7. All rights reserved.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.