IndiaDivine.org

Wonderful Touching People (for Animals) -A Peaceable Table Cross Pos...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Margaret,

Thank you for sharing that wonderful piece...I am truly touched.

Yours is the second email I received recently asking the AR community to rethink our approach. It is very hard as all of us are so compassionate about our cause and advocacy. But, it is almost always better to be respectful to those who want to entice us to argument. If nothing else, remember others who may be watching our behavior.

I want to share that, as Pam, from Edgar's Mission Farm Sanctuary, found out, I too see diverse sides of people. In the past, I co-hosted a show on GoVeganTexas in which we discussed the Michigan legislative bill on Morning Dove hunting. The 100 year old ban, outlawing the hunting of Morning Doves, had been overturned and many citizens in Michigan were trying to pass a bill to reinstate, and make permanent, the ban. What was very surprising was the large number of hunters who supported the proposed bill. They stated that Morning Doves should not be used for targeting practice. Their ethics would not allow for sport shooting of the songbirds. This is not the same case in Texas. During the show all of the callers were hunters. I engaged them with respect and we shared the views of Michigan's hunters. The callers stated that we gave them something to think about. Did they change? Perhaps not. But, by treating them with respect, we had a better chance of making an impact and further serving those we care about. The founder of the Stop Shooting Morning Doves campaign was also on the show. She eloquently, and respectfully, stated the facts of how little meat was "harvested" from such small birds and found agreement with our callers.

It worked in Michigan. We overturned the lift on the ban and have reinstated, permanently, the illegality of shooting Morning Doves. I feed many of them outside of my kitchen window in SE, Michigan and love to see them. They are living proof that we can make a change in people's attitudes.

Sincerely and optimistically,

Marilyn.

"Not until we extend the circle of compassion to include all living

things shall we ourselves know peace"

~Rev Dr. Albert Schweitzer

Guest guest

Dear Marilyn. I appreciate your thoughtful email, especially the time and attention to detail that it took to write, and which you have allowed me to cross post. I welcome this opportunity to engage in reasoned discourse on this topic. Unfortunately, some in AR have knee-jerk reactions to the topic of tactics. I understand that people are tired and angry about animal abuse. And, that it feels good and justified to release that anger by telling someone off or calling her/him to account. But, I am not in animal rights to feel good. Expressing anger in most situations only begets more anger and then, the animals loose. Of course, I am not applying such standards to such venues as organizations like the Sea Shepherd functions, where direct and immediate

action is necessary and appropriate. Obviously, abusing and killing animals is wrong. Of course, we want it to stop. But, we must use the tactic appropriate to the situation to initiate that change. Often that tactic is empathy and courtesy, especially in demonstrations in which we engage the general public whom we seek to persuade and educate. The day I win the lottery, I may become personally capable of using other tactics, because I won't have to keep my job to maintain a safe haven for my dogs. But, until the time that I become financially independent, among the most potent weapons in my arsenal are persuasion, which I intend to use with dispassionately controlled reason, and with all the intensity in my being. I will actively engage in polite, but firm and clear letter writing and telephoning to speak for animals. I will

educate myself on the issues, watch films I do not wish to see, and become knowledgeable about the law, while asking for legal help when I need it. I will attend demonstrations and as hard as it may be, I will be pleasant to those I seek to influence. I will deal with my personal anger in a way that does not harm the cause of animal rights. I ask everyone on these animal rights lists to actively engage in some activity on a regular basis to speak for animals. Weeks and months can pass and be filled with only good intentions. Good intentions do nothing to help animals, who suffer and die each second of every day. We all have the same amount of time. What we do with that time is what is important. Thoughtful opinions to what I have written are welcome. Action is even more greatly appreciated. I hope to see every single person, who cares about animals and lives in the D/FW

Metroplex, at our next educational demonstration on April 19th. And, remember, Vegetarian Network of Dallas is organizing the Ringling Circus Protest this summer and we need you there, too. If not you, then who? If not now, then when? Thank you. Margaret Founder, Vegetarian Network of Dallas www.VegNod.com Mrmcats wrote: Margaret,Thank you for sharing that wonderful piece...I am truly touched.Yours is the second email I received recently asking the AR community to rethink our approach. It is very hard as all of us are so compassionate about our cause and advocacy. But, it is almost

always better to be respectful to those who want to entice us to argument. If nothing else, remember others who may be watching our behavior.I want to share that, as Pam, from Edgar's Mission Farm Sanctuary, found out, I too see diverse sides of people. In the past, I co-hosted a show on GoVeganTexas in which we discussed the Michigan legislative bill on Morning Dove hunting. The 100 year old ban, outlawing the hunting of Morning Doves, had been overturned and many citizens in Michigan were trying to pass a bill to reinstate, and make permanent, the ban. What was very surprising was the large number of hunters who supported the proposed bill. They stated that Morning Doves should not be used for targeting practice. Their ethics would not allow for sport shooting of the songbirds. This is not the same case in Texas. During the show all of the callers were hunters. I engaged them with respect and we shared the

views of Michigan's hunters. The callers stated that we gave them something to think about. Did they change? Perhaps not. But, by treating them with respect, we had a better chance of making an impact and further serving those we care about. The founder of the Stop Shooting Morning Doves campaign was also on the show. She eloquently, and respectfully, stated the facts of how little meat was "harvested" from such small birds and found agreement with our callers.It worked in Michigan. We overturned the lift on the ban and have reinstated, permanently, the illegality of shooting Morning Doves. I feed many of them outside of my kitchen window in SE, Michigan and love to see them. They are living proof that we can make a change in people's attitudes.Sincerely and optimistically,Marilyn."Not until we extend the circle of compassion to include all living things shall we ourselves know peace"~Rev Dr. Albert Schweitzer

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.