IndiaDivine.org

Responsible Pork? + Pig Slaughterhouse in Richardson

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

This just amazes me (see below from Farmed Animal Watch). Even though I know it exists, I am always stunned at the blatant objectification of the pig, a highly sensitive sentient being. Check out the website that dares to call itself "Responsible Pork." Everyone knows that there is a pig slaughter house in Richardson, right? I am considering organizing an educational leafleting to educate the neighborhood regarding this hell-hole. Margaret Vegetarian Network of Dallas “Today’s hog sector bears little resemblance to the one that existed 15 years ago. There are fewer hog farms, and the average number of hogs per farm has increased substantially,” reports the Economic Research Service (ERS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. “Technological innovation and shifts to larger, more specialized hog operations have led to increases in productivity, reduced production costs, and lower hog prices,” the subtitle states. ERS based its findings on surveys of the pig industry that documented changes between 1992 and 2004. While the number of farms with pigs dropped over 70% (from more than 240,000 to fewer than 70,000), the number of pigs remained at about 60 million. The size of the average pig operation increased from 945 pigs to 4,646 pigs. Changes in the industry structure were attributed to economic competition for increased productivity and lower production costs. This was driven in part by technological innovations in genetics, nutrition, housing and handling equipment, veterinary services, and management. Scale of production and technology were each said to account for about half of the increase in farm

productivity. The article concludes that continued pressure from these two factors “suggests that new research and the adoption of more efficient methods of hog production will prolong the sector’s productivity gains into the foreseeable future.” It includes a link to the report and to two other publications of related interest. ERS also makes available a quarterly report, HOGS AND PIGS: http://tinyurl.com/4zuvfu See also: ANIMAL WELL-BEING: WHO DECIDES RESPONSIBILITY? http://www.porkmag.com/responsiblepork.asp?ts=rpawb & pgID=780 & ed_id=5939

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

I could not find such a place in Richardson, but found this spot in Dallas:

Kuby's

Sausage House is a family-owned, German specialty store offering

a wide variety of homemade sausages and cold cuts, an authentic

German meat market and deli, an extensive assortment of

imported/gourmet products, and authentic German restaurant.

http://www.kubys.com/wildgame.asp

Are

you a deer hunter? Is your ranch or lease overrun by feral hogs? Ever

taken an elk from New Mexico or Colorado, an antelope from the

Panhandle, a turkey from the Rio Grande Valley? No matter what you

hunt, from exotics to fish and fowl, Kuby's Wild Game Processing

will use your game to make the same great products you have come to

expect from the Kuby family.

Friedrich

Kuby began making venison sausage in 1728, catering to the local

hunters around his home town of Kaiserslautern, Germany. Nearly three

centuries later, Karl Junior continues the family tradition with

Kuby's Wild Game Processing.

-

Waidmann's Heil!(Good luck hunters!)

AND, if found this slightly old article:

Boss

Hog

America's top pork producer churns out a sea of waste that has

destroyed rivers, killed millions of fish and generated one of the

largest fines in EPA history. Welcome to the dark side of the other

white meat.http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12840743/porks_dirty_secret_the_nations_top_hog_producer_is_also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters/1

, Margaret Morin <dogs_good wrote:>> This just amazes me (see below from Farmed Animal Watch). Even though I know it exists, I am always stunned at the blatant objectification of the pig, a highly sensitive sentient being. Check out the website that dares to call itself "Responsible Pork." > > Everyone knows that there is a pig slaughter house in Richardson, right? I am considering organizing an educational leafleting to educate the neighborhood regarding this hell-hole. > > Margaret> Vegetarian Network of Dallas> > > "Today's hog sector bears little resemblance to the one that existed 15 years ago. There are fewer hog farms, and the average number of hogs per farm has increased substantially," reports the Economic Research Service (ERS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. > > "Technological innovation and shifts to larger, more specialized hog operations have led to increases in productivity, reduced production costs, and lower hog prices," the subtitle states. ERS based its findings on surveys of the pig industry that documented changes between 1992 and 2004. While the number of farms with pigs dropped over 70% (from more than 240,000 to fewer than 70,000), the number of pigs remained at about 60 million. The size of the average pig operation increased from 945 pigs to 4,646 pigs. > > Changes in the industry structure were attributed to economic competition for increased productivity and lower production costs. This was driven in part by technological innovations in genetics, nutrition, housing and handling equipment, veterinary services, and management. Scale of production and technology were each said to account for about half of the increase in farm productivity. The article concludes that continued pressure from these two factors "suggests that new research and the adoption of more efficient methods of hog production will prolong the sector's productivity gains into the foreseeable future." It includes a link to the report and to two other publications of related interest. ERS also makes available a quarterly report, HOGS AND PIGS: http://tinyurl.com/4zuvfu> > See also: ANIMAL WELL-BEING: WHO DECIDES RESPONSIBILITY? > > http://www.porkmag.com/responsiblepork.asp?ts=rpawb & pgID=780 & ed_id=5939> > > > > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.>